Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Tenor Cigar Box Ukulele

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by printer2, Jul 22, 2017.

1. richa

richa Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington
    Really like the way the neck seems to continue into the back.

2. printer2

printer2 Poster Extraordinaire

May 24, 2010
    Canada
    Darn it is hard to come up with a good looking head shape that someone else hasn't used yet.

[​IMG]

A little cleaning up and then time to slap on some finish.

[​IMG]

Zepfan likes this.

3. Macrogats

Macrogats Tele-Meister

May 15, 2017
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Really cool little guitar mate. I'm wanting to do something similar along the way sometime. Now this may sound a dumb question - but how is the neck attached to the body?? I've looked at other builds around the place and seen different ways of doing it, but I still just can't get my head around acoustic guitar neck attachments. :confused:

Ps - what's the scale length on this little beauty?

4. printer2

May 24, 2010
    Canada
    Glad you like it. It is just shy of 18". I was going to do a 19" neck but decided it looked too neck-centric, I moved the bridge a touch and cut off the first fret. The neck attachment, I was just thinking about it. I was going to do the same as the above cigar box uke , but originally this one was to have a cigar box also. Now that I made it a little more pleasant on the eyes I am thinking my luthier brethren might roll their eyes if I do the same. So that leaves me in a quandary.

I could put a hanger bolt into the neck, a hole for it through the neck block and secure it with a nut, but then I really should put a hardwood dowel into the heel. But I hate to do that with the heel carved to the point it is. Maybe I will do the same as the above and put a plug over it. I am going to have to mull things over. One thing that I did not mention or take a picture of is I slotted the neck underneath the fretboard and epoxied in a length of 1/16" aluminum as a truss rod. I made a parlor sized guitar out of softwood before with a 2"x4" neck also. I love the neck on it and it is a fun little guitar (22" scale) but the neck moves a little in winter due to the lower humidity. It was to be a disposable guitar but it turned out to be one of my favorites.

5. richa

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington
    I decided thay all my builds are officially cbg's regardless of whether any cigar boxes were harmed in their making. That way I can do whatever I takes my fancy. No rules! :)

6. Macrogats

Macrogats Tele-Meister

May 15, 2017
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Thanks for the reply Printer2.

So it's possible to bolt the neck to the block. Hmmm....

Is it just one bolt securing it?

7. printer2

May 24, 2010
    Canada
    Sorry, missed the last post. Sure one bolt should hold it well enough. They are only nylon strings, the fretboard will be glued down also.

Building a uke for some people at work. The rest of the projects are pushed back in order of importance. One side bent, one to go.
    [​IMG]

This was unplanned, using the other uke body as a temporary form so it holds its shape. Did not think I would make more than one I did not make any forms for this shape.
    [​IMG]

Gluing the neck and tail block.
    [​IMG]

Trimmed and looking good.
    [​IMG]

Installing the linings.
    [​IMG]

A nice piece that is an orphan guitar side, need to thin it down some.
    [​IMG]

Thinned down, with some wings on it should make for a good top.
    [​IMG]

The back already joined.
    [​IMG]

Cutting the sound hole.
    [​IMG]

Bracing the top.
    [​IMG]

Bracing the back and adding a bits under the bridge area.
    [​IMG]

Gluing the sides onto the top. The clamp is for insurance the sides do not bow. A spacer runs from the neck block to the tail block and with the clamp nothing moved when adding the weights. I find this faster and easier than using clamps.
    [​IMG]

Glued on the back as well. Trimmed and almost ready for finish. Need to put a ring of wood in the sound hole in place of a rosette. Then with some sanding it is almost ready to go. Time to think of the neck.
    [​IMG]

8. printer2

May 24, 2010
    Canada
    Scarf joint for neck.

[​IMG]

Thinned down the headstock area.

[​IMG]

Need to trim some of the excess wood before gluing on the fretboard and shaping.

[​IMG]

Mark out the shape.

[​IMG]

Now it looks a little chunky. We have a fix for that.

[​IMG]

Adjust my drum sander so the neck fits in between the drum and the table then thin down the thickness.

[​IMG]

Gluing on the fretboard.

[​IMG]

Rough carved the neck with a spoke shave.

[​IMG]

Getting to the point where it is starting to feel like a neck.

[​IMG]

9. richa

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington
    Interesting use of drum sander. Nice neck.

10. printer2

May 24, 2010
    Canada
    I have surfaced wood for guitar bodies that way before I got my planer, good for about 1.75". Not terribly fast though. On the necks I have taped a sliver of wood at the nut end to get a slight tapper as compared to the heel end. I will be slimming down the headstock a little more the same way. I finally got a real dust extractor that gets most of the dust this kicks up without the dust cover on the drum.

I was not going to finish this uke, I have some tendons in my had that are being a pain and more concerning it seems like I may have a nerve being compressed which has resulted in some muscle loss in my right hand. Hopefully surgery will fix it. I changed my mind and am hoping to get the majority of the work done this weekend, at least to the finishing stage.

richa likes this.

11. oldrebel

oldrebel Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Oct 23, 2011
    Lynchburg Tennessee
    Looking great!! Take care of your hands, the others can wait.

12. printer2

May 24, 2010
    Canada
    My home made mill cutting the saddle slot in the bridge.

[​IMG]

Cutting and chipping away the excess.

[​IMG]

Some cleaning up is needed and then drill the string holes.

[​IMG]

richa likes this.

13. richa

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington
    Nice! Love the mill.

14. printer2

May 24, 2010
    Canada
    I have a threaded rod and a wingnut up top, the rod is attached to the dremel carriage. So I could drop it down a fraction of a turn or use it as a depth stop. I thought I would be doing more with it but just seem to do the saddle slot on most bridges, this one two slots. I have a jig for steel string bridges, I just clamp up the blank and away I go with only having to change the depth. It makes things easier when you don't have to do a lot of setup.

richa likes this.

15. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    I did the same thing for my binding jig...with the wingnut stop thing.

16. printer2

May 24, 2010
    Canada
    Scraping sides.

[​IMG]

Some walnut for the soundhole. Checking fit before glue.

[​IMG]

They want their logo on the headstock, notice the nifty dremel jig.

[​IMG]

It will get some touch up once the grout dries.

[​IMG]

richa likes this.

17. Macrogats

Macrogats Tele-Meister

May 15, 2017
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Great work man. Really makes me wanna try a small acoustic - maybe a tenor type guitar.

Nice work on the HS logo. Looks kinda cool, and I love the dremel jig.

18. printer2

May 24, 2010
    Canada
    I have been suggesting the ukulele or mini sized guitar to anyone wanting to build a guitar. Less material cost, easier to handle when building, less clamps needed. And it is pretty hard to really screw up the sound. Your next one will be much better in part because you will not be second guessing yourself on how to do the operation right. Mind you there are a lot on video where you can learn most of what to do. Also from these build threads. Many ways to skin a cat. One day I will do a step by step simple build with the minimum amount of tools. But I have to finish too many other projects first.

19. richa

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington
    Yeah, smaller is easier.

20. printer2

May 24, 2010
    Canada
    So time to cut some frets, measure the headstock end, subtract so much for the overhang on either side. Measure the holes in the bridge for the string width, ????

The nut width is wider than the string spacing for the bridge. Stick a nut in the slot, the fretboard and in turn the neck is too wide. Really? Mark the fretboard, scribe it, take it real carefully to the belt sander. Or the belt sander to it. At least I didn't frig that up. Now I have to recarve the neck, well at least blend the edges and some of the neck to headstock transition. And I spent more time than I intended on it but it just did not feel right. Not like I have done many ukulele necks, this being number two. I think I will leave it for tomorrow, I am a little bumbed out and a little late to get started now. Nobody said the road to glory was easy.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.