Tell us about your first guitar

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Rev Rhythm, Mar 2, 2019.

1. Sotakoira Musti

Sotakoira Musti Tele-Meister

My late dad’s Eko Ranger XII Electra and Eko CO 1050 classical, both from early-mid seventies. Easy guitars for learning! Especially playing early Metallica with 1050 as an angry teen o_O

Then there was crappy Arbiter electric for a while. Electrics were gone, but didn’t have an amplifier, so it didn’t matter. First proper guitar was Samick san-450 sb bought in 1994. Still have it, and love it.

2. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Meister

It's funny, this thread is bringing up lots of brands (Teisco, vox, harmony...) that when I was in high school (2004/05) I remember looking at MANY of these on ebay. I had a part time job at pizza hut and a full time job at a computer store the summer I was 16, and a brief quest for a Vox Phantom copy led me to believe several of these oddball "pawn shop" looking guitars would be amazing to collect. Nominally you could scoop them for $125-$200 for the great ones. I for some reason dropped most money into fender guitars and amps(still all good) but the rest into magic the gathering cards. Now those cards woulda been worth a little, had an ex not taken most of them, but a closet full of these guitars would have led to more happiness. And also, several of them are going for double the mid 2000s prices now, and for good reason, they weren't bad.

Did anyone else get substantially better as a player by borrowing gear? My hands got WAY stronger playing the songs I knew on my strat on a cheap acoustic with rather heavy strings, and my electric playing got better discovering dynamics when my grandfather lent me a silverface champ

3. Bjackcity

Bjackcity TDPRI Member

87 Torino red squier bullet! Still have it 25 years later. Got it used from a pawn shop that’s been long gone. Original Case has seen better days and parted/expoxied back together once or twice but the guitar is still playing just as it did from day one.

Fiesta Red likes this.
  4. DenisFC

DenisFC TDPRI Member

My first guitar was a squier stratocaster from 1993 i know it brcsuse it was written on the heel of the neck , the head writing was scratched off, but weirdly it was on written fender on the headstock.

5. Ducerro

Ducerro Tele-Meister

My first was a steel string acoustic my parents got for me. I was somewhere around 14 at the time. I have no idea what brand it was - that was probably 48 or so years ago. Most likely it was from Sears. It was horrible to play. Strings sharp enough to shave with! I tried to learn on it, but it was soooo bad I just figured guitar wasn't for me and threw it in a closet. My parents probably sold it at a garage sale since I wasn't playing it. I never thought at the time it "might" be the guitar that sucked...

Fast forward to somewhere in the early 2000's and I came across an ad on Craigslist from a guy who wanted to trade a guitar for computer service. Seems he had screwed up his brother's computer and needed someone to fix it quick. I kinda got the impression the "brother" was getting out of the pen in a few days and would not be happy if his computer was trashed. Being an IT service tech at the time I responded to the ad, fixed the guys computer, and then took my pick of two guitars he had set aside for the trade. Not knowing anything about electric guitars (or acoustic for that matter), I picked the shinny one. It was/is a Squier Korean Black Logo Strat - black body, black pearl pick guard, maple neck. He tossed in an amp as well - a Silvertone 25 watt. I'm not sure who got the better deal, but the guitar and amp only cost me a couple hours of my time. Still have it as my first electric. It has some sentimental value (but not much). After playing it for a bit I figured I still sucked at guitar and put it aside as well.

I finally took some lessons and found out I was trying to learn on less than stellar instrumentation. That led me back to an acoustic Yamaha FG730, which is an ok guitar. And then one thing led to another and now I have a whole stable of guitars FAR better than I am. But at least I can't blame the guitars any more!

Ydwen Jones and Fiesta Red like this.
  6. 6l6-57

6l6-57 Tele-Meister

Unlike most people, I was grown and had a job when I got my first guitar. It was a Gibson Flying V, because I was going to be a rock star! Lol. It was in a local music shop and I put a down payment on it and made payments. I eventually sold it and then got a Fender and never looked back, although I would like a SG, they are sweet! This is my friend Jay playing it. My buddy and the guitar are long gone.
    IMG_9632 (2).JPG

7. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

We need pictures...

Of the girl! ;)

I remember Johnny Red & the Roosters—they were all over the Fort Worth Blues scene in the 90’s/00’s...and C&S music, too!

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
    elihu and Sean Mac like this.
  8. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire

My first guitar Was a 1963 $28 brand new Stella but it played like $35 guitar. After about 6 months my parents could see I was going to stick with it and bought me a Kapa Cobra electrified guitar $119. & a small Supro Amp. not sure what the amp cost. As for the Kapa it was suggested by my music teacher kind of between the fender and Tesco for the quality. The Kapa survived everything I threw at during the 60tys, I cant remember how many colors it has been, I lost the original bridge and tail piece somewhere in time I still look for one on eBay every now and then. Well a lot of fun memories are attached to this guitar maybe 5 years ago I gave it a proper face lift and original color. My next guitar was a 69 Crucianelli bought used for $25 in 1970. Crucianelli made a lot of guitars for companies Mine was exactly the same as a Vox Lynx. Sold the Crucinelli about 2 years really bad guitar. The Kapa hangs on the wall proud I don’t think I could sell it.
    DSCN1133.JPG DSCN1134.JPG Crucianelli.jpg

kookaburra, studio1087, elihu and 2 others like this.
  9. DuckDodgers

DuckDodgers Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Blue 1968 Fender Musicmaster that was a 14th birthday present along with a used Princeton. I had the choice of that, or a two-pickup Gibson Melody Maker, but the Fender looked more rock and roll to me. It was certainly more rugged, which suited me. I played it in the high school stage band and various bad bands through HS and into college, and at some point in the 70s I swapped it with a friend for a Mosrite bass. I don’t remember what I traded the bass for. The Princeton fried its power transformer in 1971, and I replaced it with a higher voltage transformer I found and rebiased it for 6L6s. A friend rewired it into a Boogie clone and installed a 10” JBL (he was working in a reconing shop). I had it until around 1980 or 81.

I think my father paid $125 for the Musicmaster, which is about $850 in 2018 dollars. That says something about how automation has reduced the cost of instruments, doesn’t it? You can get a new Player series tele for that today.

Rev Rhythm likes this.
  10. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I got my first guitar for my 8th birthday in 1960. My dad drove thru a snowstorm, to the big Sears store up in Minneapolis to get it for me. It came with a cardboard case even. I took lessons on it (3 lessons only, as I got kicked out for learning something different than what the instructor wanted me to learn). I still have the guitar and it still plays just fine for a 59 year old Sears acoustic. :)

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
    TigerG, Rev Rhythm and brookdalebill like this.
  11. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

My first electric was an Aria Diamond, something like this one, but it was a 12 string. I can't remember what happened to it. aria.jpg

TigerG and Rev Rhythm like this.
  12. Ydwen Jones

Ydwen Jones Tele-Meister

My first guitar was an unknown brand Les Paul copy, that I bought used when I was 14, with money I'd saved. I took some lessons, started my first band and played it for a few years. But I never really liked it very much. It was quite heavy and I really wanted a Strat. I eventually sold it to a friend. Can't find any pics of my first guitar. But here's one of my first Squier Strat, that I liked much better.
    Squier Bullet Strat.jpg

13. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

Cort effector - black with plastic fingerboard. LGA 15 amplifier - sears catalog. Both of them were terrible!

But, I was hooked and it was good enough to start. Cost for the pair back then was probably $300 USD together, equivalent to about $600 USD now. if anyone would ever sell someone such a thing for that cost these days, jail time wouldn't be too much punishment.

My guitar teacher, who wasn't one to spend someone else's money, took my parents aside after a year of lessons and said "you need to buy him something better".

14. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Aria Pro 2 that kind of looked like an SG. I wish I still had it.

kookaburra likes this.
  15. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Tele-Afflicted

Sear's catalog acoustic special, circa 1970. Virtually unplayable.

[​IMG]

Rev Rhythm likes this.
  16. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I had a really cheap acoustic guitar That was very difficult to play and when I was 14 I got a 72 Tele Custom in burst. It was used and I paid half and my dad paid half (the total was $200) at Jerry's Music in Wausau WI. I worked in sales at Jerry's from the time I was 18 to the time that I was 21.

This is my reissue. This is what my first decent guitar looked like. I played the real 70's model through 4 years of high school jazz band.

[​IMG]

Our jazz band played at a jazz festival every winter at UW LaCrosse. Our teacher drove down the night before the contest with all the instruments in a van and he attended a teachers dinner. The students arrived in a small bus the next day (when we played our 5 songs in the jazz competition). Our teacher always unloaded the instruments into our designated warm-up classroom and he would do this the moment that he arrived (he typically wouldn't go the dinner with drinks until our stuff was in our warm up room).. My senior year (1982) he went out to eat and he left all the instruments in the van overnight. It was 15 below zero that night. He ran all the cases into the building the next morning just before the students arrived and he flipped all the cases wide open. It was 68 degrees in the classrooms. :eek:

The finish on the Tele blew up starting where the three screw holes anchor the bridge. Other checking started where the screws held the pickguard on. It looked like a shattered mirror. My dad went ape-sh*t. He called the school superintendent and after a heated discussion the school's insurance company bought me a new Peavey T60 and they took the Tele. Being 18 and ignorant I gladly accepted because the Peavey came with a flight case. I thought it was really bad*ss.

If I knew then what I know now I would still have that Telecaster. I think about dad when I look at the reissue. He always supported my love of music.

Rev Rhythm likes this.
  17. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

My first guitar was the two pickup version of that with a "Winston" label. It came from Skaggs Hardware Store in Hayward, California. It cost $39.95 with matching amp, a little tiny thing. 1966.

Rev Rhythm and kookaburra like this.
  18. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Afflicted

Some of those Arias were quite decent!

A no name acoustic was my first git in the mid 70s, actually was playable. Shortly after, I scored a Harmony Rocket for the electric side of the house.

Rev Rhythm likes this.
  19. GibbyTwin

GibbyTwin Tele-Meister

somewhere between Asbury Park and Atlantic City
    My first amp was this little thing (picture from internet). I kept it for the longest time but eventually chucked it (dumb, dumb, dumb!) when I was younger and more stupid because it was just collecting dust and I never used it. Now I wish I had kept it, for no other reason but to have it.
    upload_2019-3-4_14-55-56.jpeg

Paul in Colorado and Rev Rhythm like this.
  20. drewobrien

drewobrien TDPRI Member

My first was a red Arbor strat copy. Got it (and a Gorilla practice amp) when I was maybe 12 years old. It was horrible in every way. About the only nice thing I can say about it was that it was possible to set it up so that it would intonate and play well. So there's that. But it would go out of tune if you even breathed on the trem. Playing at anything louder than bedroom volume risked crazy loud feedback from the god-awful pickups. At least it got me started on modifying guitars, though. After about a year, I sanded the sticky finish off the back of the neck. Then I took the thing apart to find out what it looked like under the pickguard. To my 13-year-old horror, I discovered that the body was not made of real wood. It was some sort of chipboard with a thick plastic finish. I sold it to a "friend" and bought a Charvel Fusion Deluxe with the proceeds. That was no great guitar, but at least I could gig with it in my high school metal band!

Rev Rhythm likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.