Tell Us About The Time You Faked It And Got Away With it.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TC6969, Apr 27, 2019.

1. rangercaster

rangercaster Friend of Leo's

I have played shows with people I have never met, much less played with before, that turned out great... Professionals do this on a daily basis ... Session players, hired guns... Call it what you will... wannabes and amateurs need not apply...

2. Brian Krashpad

Brian Krashpad Tele-Afflicted

That time I played bass for Bo Diddley.

A little nerve-wracking. No rehearsal, no book. 100% winging it.

Before the set, I asked his niece, Tammy, who was playing keyboards, if maybe she could at least let me know what key each song would be in, as we went along.

Bo turns around, looks at me, and says:

We don't DO that "key" ****.

[​IMG]

Bortyeast, Alamo, JL_LI and 7 others like this.
  3. steve v

steve v Tele-Holic

Filled in on bass for a gig with my friends band. Pretty much all classic rock, so I knew of the songs but not necessarily how to play them. My buddy quickly gave me the key and changes before each song for what that was worth. I played with a certain flourish, but at a very low volume, making sure to hit the changes I could remember. One nice young woman said I was the best bass player she ever heard. She was very nice, but perhaps did fake it and get away with it.

4. Shuster

Shuster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Still faking it;)

5. bondoman

bondoman Tele-Meister

Sounds like my Punk days back in the early 80's. Every song sounded about the same and no one cared.

6. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

"Tell Us About The Time You Faked It And Got Away With it."

If I did that she might be able to figure out who I am.

7. Recce

Recce Tele-Afflicted

8. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

If I'm awake, I'm faking it.

9. bb_matt

bb_matt Tele-Meister

Chipping Norton, Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
    The only time I can remember 'faking it', because the band had too, was at a veterinary university gig I did with my band in Pretoria, South Africa. (I lived there once).
    We were a hard rock band back in the 90's (that nobody has ever heard of).

So, we pitch up there in our van - a converted VW bus and setup.
    It turned out they didn't like the look of us much, effectively, our audience was comprised of ultra-conservative farmers kids - think the reddest redneck you can imagine and you won't even be close.
    We were long haired rockers, with a female singer who liked sexy lace and an androgynous female bass player who didn't give two hoots.

So, we start the gig and after the first song, we were sabotaged. We were playing on a concrete corridor in front of prefab buildings, with the power coming from one of the rooms.
    As we started playing, water started flowing across the concrete and our singer started getting shocks through the mic.
    The power kept going out - it was one of those moments where I just wanted to be sucked into the earth to escape "make it stop, please!"

We were greeted with a chorus of boos, flying bottles and general testosterone fuelled animosity - it was all a blur.
    We basically played our local radio 'hit' three times and got the heck outta there - we did get paid for the gig and the university actually apologised to us.

The worst of all, the band we all hated - our nemesis, a funk-metal band called B-World, played just before us without a hitch and got at least a bit of a nod and only one bottle thrown.

It was almost as bad as the nightclub we played at full of hookers, when the owner appeared out of the dressing room, with a cape and bucket on his head, high on coke and jumped out the window.
    The band were playing in some weird enclosed wooden structure in the middle of the club. This was the night my brother had a case of projectile vomit and managed to spray our entire van with it.

Wild times.

10. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

I got a call for a college Halloween show many years ago.
    They said they liked my Tape (yes, TAPE!) and wanted to hire us.

I Said Yes.

I had no band. The tape was left there more than two years before.
    Called a Drummer friend, we put it together with two other guys in less than a month.

Good times.

Kriticaster and awasson like this.
  11. Ignatius

Ignatius Tele-Afflicted

Pretty much my entire career.

beyer160 and guitartwonk like this.
  12. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

Since then, he and I (the Drummer) figured out that the First thing you do, is get the Gig!

Once you have the Gig, people who Want to play are a lot easier to find.

13. guitartwonk

guitartwonk Tele-Meister

Woah, hold on... You played bass for Bo Diddley...?

That's not faking it. That's living the dream. Kudos to you for getting that gig!

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk

14. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I played an Elvis gig for a Christmas party once when I was in my mid 20’s. This was the only time I’ve been a “hired gun”, so to speak. There was an Elvis impersonator who needed a back up band. My buddy from another band was going to play bass and another guy, a heavy metal guy was going to play drums. I was quite into alternative and heavy rock at the time. This was going to be interesting.

Elvis was the first R&R I had ever heard as a kid and I was a big fan when I was 7 - 10 years old so I knew all of the songs and arrangements, I’d just never learned them or even attempted to play them. Neither had the guy on bass or the drummer We had a set list and a couple of weeks. I was the only guitarist so I had to do intro's, rhythm and solos as well as backup vocals. Way out of my comfort zone but I had a black turtleneck sweater, black jeans and ray bans. I could do this.

The drummer and his double kick bass drum got booted a week before the gig and "Elvis" brought in his own drummer. That was a good thing. The cool thing was that "Elvis" was a real performer, kung-foo kicks and the works. Nobody cared whether we played well or not but I think we did a pretty good job backing him up. I don't think "Elvis" and I exchanged two words except when I was introduced to him at the one and only practice/rehearsal.

Kriticaster likes this.
  15. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Our power hungry vocalist at the time bulldozed two seventies sleepers through at an outdoor society gig one time.

Just shouted over at us :”we’ve played this at practice” and started the songs.

Horrible songs with many chord changes that neither of us had played.

Myself and the other guitar player , looked at each other , turned our volume knobs to “no embarrassment” and mimed our way through both of them.

Silent.

By the second one we weren’t even making chord shapes - just kind of dead-handing it all over the fret board .:lol:

We still laugh about it.

Here’s one of the winners (“What’s your sign girl ?”)

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
  16. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

Last saturday night.

I performed as a duo without any prior rehearsal at a brew-pub. He was awful... and I just tagged along providing fills, harmonica and shakers.

Weird.

But, I got paid!

17. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Silver Supporter

LOL! I can imagine the gig. My buddy's band was the pickup band for Bo at an Indianapolis, IN gig. All my buddy got was a set list in advance. He and the band managed to get through it, but... Bo was terrible: he had just had oral surgery and his mouth hurt. Bo phoned it in, griped at everyone about everything, and left. I'm glad my buddy comped me a ticket, 'cause I'd sure hate to have paid for that.

Brian Krashpad likes this.
  18. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

Many times in my professional life I've had to fake knowing something and then had to learn it fast. I think that may be easier to do in engineering than in music. Where I work, professional managers have no idea what I'm talking about anyway.

awasson likes this.
  19. mgreene

mgreene Tele-Holic

I played an off broadway show one time - kind of like a Tyler Perry type thing in DC. Having to come up with basslines to play over chord changes to songs that no one had ever heard before was faking it!

The thing I remember about the gig though was that one rehearsal I got there early before the other musicians. Back in those days I had a tycobrane parapedal (kind of a full range wah that worked on bass) so I plugs it in and I am just noodling away - WOW-wack-a-wack-a-doom doom doom, and I look up and all the actors were dancing like they were at a disco party. We have have power gentlemen (sometimes). :D

20. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

A friend of mine came to one of my gigs, and after we got done playing he mentioned that he was playing with a live karaoke band and said I'd be a good fit for doing it, too. He asked if I'd be able to sub in for him if need be and I said 'Sure.' He said 'Great, I can't make the gig next Saturday, thanks!'

I got the song list the next day, and knew just about every song on it, so I figured all was cool and showed up that Saturday. I got to the gig and the band was led by a NY comedian who had appeared on the Stern show often (the guy who did the DLR and Qzzie impressions), so there was a crowd. The rest of the band had toured as Jim Breuer's backup band, and they were all pretty heavy hitters, but I was holding my own with them. We were about halfway through the set, and someone had signed up to do 'Heartbreaker' by Led Zep. I knew the rhythm part without a problem, but when it came to the solo, the other guitarist pointed to me.

I'd never played the solo in my life.

Of course, I'd heard it a million times and knew all of the money bits, but had never even tried playing it. When the band stopped I took an extra second to try and collect my memories (which the crowd took as a move to build up suspense, which sent a cheer through the club), and then took a deep breath and launched into the solo. Hit the money bits, filled the spaces in between as best as I could remember, and finally got through it.

After the show was over, the other guitarist complimented me on the solo. When I told him it was the first time I'd ever played it, he laughed and said he couldn't tell.

Faking that solo kept me in gigs with that band for a few months, which led to a gig with the Arlene's Grocery karaoke band in NYC which lasted for a bit over 7 years.

- D

awasson, voodoostation and Alamo like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.