Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Tell me about this guitar tone....

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by SoulstormTX, Sep 23, 2017.

1. SoulstormTX

SoulstormTX Tele-Meister

Jul 14, 2017
    San Antonio, Tx
    First off i love Matthew Stevens. He inspires me greatly. Just curious how you guys think this was achieved. It seems low gain enough to let some tone and clarity through, but it also sustains like high gain. I know currently he is using an ac30 and a tele type with Esperanza and a 335 and a ton of other crap on his solo stuff but the live stuff I've found from the "rewind that" era shows anything from a vox to a fender to a Marshall depending on which live video I locate. What do you guys think this is as far as the studio recording goes?

2:44 here....

3:49 here...

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
    elihu, trouserpress and tintag27 like this.

2. tintag27

tintag27 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Jan 18, 2010
    Macclesfield, UK
    I like this very much. Brilliant musicianship, and it really steams along!
    I hear a rich heritage of Miles in there, with hints of John Mclaughlin, and held together with a very telepathic rhythm section.
    I would hesitate to speculate on what Stevens is using here, but the tone does remind me of Larry Coryell's pioneering early crossover work where he had such a beautiful feathery top end and some searing high gain sounds without losing those bell-like cleans for chords - he played a Gibson semi-acoustic then.
    The tone is different on the second track - very flutey. A key point is is the arrangement. This is a very tight band but there is plenty of open space in there without the usual fight for mid range you might find in a rock band, so the soloists have no problems using a wide range of volume and dynamics without being lost in the mix...

SoulstormTX and trouserpress like this.

3. Sparky2

Sparky2 Tele-Holic

Apr 15, 2017
    Harvest, Alabama
    What I hear is some impressive guitar playing, with a subtle finger tip vibrato.

Middle or bridge pickup setting, with a fair amount of picking up the base of the neck (as opposed to down over the pickups themselves).
    I can practically hear Matthews cupped right hand hovering above the pickups at times.

A moderate reverb of course, with a tiny bit of delay and compression.

These are studio recordings, so there's no telling what sort of amplifier was involved, without consulting an in-studio gear interview video.
    Okay, I'm gonna shut up now.
    :(

SoulstormTX and tintag27 like this.

4. trouserpress

trouserpress Tele-Meister

May 4, 2015
    Leipzig
    What tintag said. I'd be surprised if the guitar was anythin else but a semi-hollow with similar pickups to what during Mahavishnu era was used. What I hear probably involves a cranked up but altogether very 'civilized' od pedal (like my modded, more hifi-ish OCD)

SoulstormTX and tintag27 like this.

5. SoulstormTX

SoulstormTX Tele-Meister

Jul 14, 2017
    San Antonio, Tx
    I am almost certain it's a semihollow as that's what I'm seeing him play on the closest live version of this. I also think you're onto something with the OD. I found a list of his more recent setup. He's definitely got the OCD on his board, but I know the strymon stuff wasn't out yet when this album came out. But the delay/verb we're hearing is probably just studio units or plug-ins anyway.
    http://www.jazzapparatus.com/matthew-stevens-gear/

6. trouserpress

trouserpress Tele-Meister

May 4, 2015
    Leipzig
    Interesting- Strymon appears to be the 'thing of the day'. I'd love to check out their pedals. My youngest son's Sonic blue Tele with a gloriou Don Mare 'Hayride-set' looks EXACTLY like Stevens's.

7. Tootone

Tootone Tele-Meister

Sep 4, 2015
    Perth WA
    I think what OP is asking is how does he get his guitar to sound like a Flute... at the specified times in the videos.

Perhaps OP can confirm this is what he is asking.

My guess answer to that is parallel Roland Guitar Synth pickup with synth part rolled in and out with an expression or volume pedal.

Either that, or some parallel effects chain, again mix controlled by a volume pedal, with an EHX Mel9, a POG and reverb (or something similar) creating a "reed pad".

What I'm saying/guessing is the flute part is overdubbed onto the guitar sound.. probably live and simultaneous using method similar to what I described.

It sounds a bit like a melotron... that's why I said Mel9. But I don't know when this was recorded. Guitarists used to get some pretty whacky sounds out of filters too... Moog, MuTron etc.

8. DougM

DougM Tele-Holic

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    His tone reminds me of the underrated genius Steve Kimock. I haven't seen Steve lately, but when I still lived in the Bay Area, I would try to go to every show I heard about. Saw him with Zero many times at the Great American Music Hall on O'Farrell Street.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.