Tell me about the time a new piece of gear spurred your creativity

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Digital Larry, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Holic

If there seems to be a defiant tone, yes it's there, but only because in my own experience, most of the time I was disappointed. I thought WOW with this new guitar and/or all those guitar sounds surely I will write a symphony or a punk rock tune or SOMETHING! But mostly I just wanked on the sounds a bit and went back to what I'd been doing previously.

There have been two major exceptions.
    a) A looper pedal made it possible for me to capture raw ideas very quickly and practice soloing, bass lines, etc. on things of my own making rather than someone else's idea of a good time.

b) Much further down the list I begrudgingly acknowledge that without my DAW I would never record anything. It's a different mindset though.

Sean Mac likes this.
  2. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I ended up getting a major infusion of high-quality gear at the beginning of this year - 3 guitars, a new amp and speaker cabinet.

The sheer difference in tone when I put them all together was, and still is, absolutely inspiring. Power, response, playability, and tone just knock me out.

I think in some small ways, the new gear has made me a better player.

- D

Digital Larry likes this.
  3. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

I've always been a fan of surf/rockabilly/psychobilly sounds, but I've been limited because most of my gear doesn't do those sounds because most of my music is raucous rock and roll.

But last year I bit the bullet and built my own Blackface Deluxe Reverb head and now that I have those types of tones at my disposal it's been flowing pretty well.

4. TelePunkJCM

TelePunkJCM Tele-Meister

Never.

New gear to solve a problem? Sure.

But not to, what, induce creativity?

Never.

Not to say that we don't get bored or like new things.

But believing it actually causes creation that couldn't happen without the shiny toy? No way. Kinda like Jeff Tweedy's take on how drugs as a songwriting tool are a great and dangerous artistic lie.

5. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

DigiTech RP360 modeling pedal. It does looping and has drum patterns in it. I use it for practice mostly, but it's getting me to explore and work on songs a lot more.

EHX Attack Decay. This thing is kind of like an Auto Wah, only it works on the volume envelope. It has a lot of features and a built in fuzz, an effects loop and some other things. Quite a box for ~$125.

6. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I agree, and I'm not saying that new gear has turned on some magic inspiration that was never there. But it's made the things I was trying to do with my old gear easier to do.

While it's not a major inspiration, it's also no small thing.

- D

7. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Friend of Leo's

About 4 years ago I bought a Sigma dr35 that I managed to setup with a great action and great tone. That inspired me to play acoustic daily and use it to learn everything on before transferring to my tele if the song suited electric. Playing acoustic again and more often was the best decision I have made to improve my playing and enjoyment in many years.

8. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

buying gear to improve as a player? absolutely! see my sig.

it is the secret engine of the guitar industry.

4pickupguy and Digital Larry like this.
  9. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

About ten years ago I bought a great sounding, comparatively light Gibson 1954 Les Paul Custom reissue.
    I love the sound of the Alnico V neck pickups those guitars have.
    After getting it home. and setting it up, the sound of it inspired me to write my best song, IMO.
    As others have said, that guitar had a song in it.
    Also, shortly after acquiring the LP, I bought a Vox Virage.
    It’s incredibly great upper fret access gave me another song, too.
    I’m sure any great sounding/playing guitar coukd inspire it’s owner/operator.

Skub, Flakey, Flyboy and 2 others like this.
  10. Matthias

Matthias Tele-Afflicted

My Strat got me playing surf. My Blues Jr got me spitting out Texas blues licks. My Jazz Bass got me into funk... It's more a case of if something doesn't inspire me creatively, it gets moved on quickly!

Digital Larry and Greg_L like this.
  11. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

I have a very nice Mosrite Ventures clone that just makes me wanna get surfy. It's not a guitar for every occasion, but I can't grab it and not crank the reverb and rip out some psychosurf riffs. It lives for that.

12. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Holic

On a side note, not gear: the other day I tuned down to open Cm (C G C G C E flat) and got a new song out of it.

Flyboy and Digital Larry like this.
  13. Jake Nelson

Jake Nelson Tele-Meister

I knew a few chords and some riffs on acoustic but never was too excited until someone dug their ‘62 6g2 out of the basement storage and i was like what?!? this is it! settled it right then and there i was going to practice and play guitar by ear. i noodled for hours the first time i used that amp. now i enjoy building tube amps as much as playing with them.

Like it was said earlier, my ditto x2 has inspired more practice and better focused practice at times.

14. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

No one will want to hear this, but a cheap modelling amp full of silly fx

Play something, twirl a few knobs, new sound, new idea

15. Dennyf

Dennyf Tele-Afflicted

In the late eighties I got a 4-track cassette recorder and a keyboard synth. That spurred a handful of instrumental arrangements of some favorite songs and a bunch of original tunes.

In the mid-nineties I went digital, and the easier recording and editing caused another flurry of tunes, some of which didn’t even have a guitar on ‘em.

In the early 2000s I went to a dedicated PC just for recording, a multichannel interface and SAW Studio. While I did a lot of band recording then, I didn’t do much composing. Just a couple. Guess I aged out of my creative period.

16. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

All interesting posts so far and all different from each other. Mine is probably way out there. Something happened this year. Yes, 2019. This is the year it all came together. I probably have OCD. Things that bother me really bother me. I'm the guy who picks scabs and pulls on hang nails. My gear hasn't changed in four years. What's changed is that I've fixed all the things that bothered me and began concentrating on my playing. I'm not focused on fixing anything anymore. My Telecaster has N4 pickups and my Strat has VN's so no more annoying hum. I lowered the pickups and raised the pole pieces in my SG and now have the clarity it was lacking. I've made peace with my Annie and am no longer trying to make it something it's not. I've finally gotten use of my compressor right. I use it most with the Annie, sometimes with my Strat, and never with anything else. With the guitars right, I've finally worked out the best settings for each of them with my Mesa Boogie Express 5:25. I'm inspired. I'm inspired to play and not focus on what's bothering me. And with my focus on my playing, I'm playing better. I'm keeping a guitar out for weeks, not days, getting the most from it. So in my case, the inspiration isn't from a single new piece of gear. It comes from playing and realizing that my gear is not holding me back. I'm 69. Change is hard, really hard, but I'm not picking scabs and pulling on hangnails and it actually feels better this way..

17. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

Anything that gives me choices of several different amplifier sounds tends to spur my creativity (somehow, new guitars don't do that). I noticed this a few years ago when I acquired a Tech-21 SansAmp GT-2 pedal. Later, the same thing happened when I picked up an old Line 6 Floor POD, and later a Floor POD Plus. And most recently, a Marshall Code head. I noticed that when I have just one amplifier (and the sound it produces), no matter how good the tone is, new variety is what kicks my creativity into gear.

Another thing that had this effect on me was when I purchased my first DAW, called ACID Music. It came with all these loop recordings and I started creating a bunch of music with those, and didn't even bother recording guitar on some of it.

18. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

As a songwriter, I’m a firm believer in the idea that all guitars have songs built into them. They will let you pull them out if you pay attention and listen. You won’t find a song that’s in any particular guitar, unless you’re playing that guitar. Some have a seemingly unlimited number in them. Some only have one or two, but they’re usually pretty good ones.

Piggy Stu, Obsessed, JL_LI and 3 others like this.
  19. Mike SS

Mike SS Poster Extraordinaire

EA15ATB.jpg I have been stagnant for MONTHS, letting my guitars take up space in the bedroom and not much else. A couple of weeks ago I was bored and wandered down to Guitar Center to poke around. This little devil caught my eye, and then my ear. Sweet sounding, mini-Jumbo, acoustic-electric Washburn. Took her home for $242 (tax included). A lot of guitar for the money. Got me picking again, and working on some songs I never finished up.

Jakedog, JL_LI and Digital Larry like this.
  20. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

The DAW reversal worked for me. I regularly got lost fiddling with plugins and editing waves rather than just playing and capturing the vibe.

Got a Tascam DP32SD hardware multitrack recorder and it does everything it needs to without the distractions.

It is the same as with loopers.. it makes the music come forward, rather than the method of its creation.

My wife also got a small bodied acoustic that I can’t get enough of. No boominess. It’s kind of mine now. Records impeccably.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.