Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Telemometer: Is a box truck too hot?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Rialto1564, Aug 30, 2017.

Would you cross the country in September with your guitars in a box truck?

1. Yes, they'll be fine.

21 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. No way. They'll melt into a pile of glue.

4 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. I'm not sure what will happen.

3 vote(s)
    10.7%
  1. Rialto1564

Rialto1564 Tele-Meister

Jun 12, 2013
    Metro Detroit
    Hi All,

I'll be moving from the Motor City to the City by the Bay in the coming days, and I'm concerned about transporting my instruments.

I'm not too worried about the RI 72 Tele, but hollowbodies like a 90s Guild Starfire will also be making the trip. It's not the packing but the potential temps in the truck that I'm wondering about...

The plan is to rent a box truck and get everything out in one shot. I'm sure people who tour are crossing the country all the time with guitars in the back in less than climate-controlled conditions? Does anyone have any warnings/advice on getting them there safely. Each is in a hard shell case.

Appreciate any insights and sorry if not the right forum.

Thanks

2. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    While driving it's likely the wind chill factor will keep temps in the back reasonable. As long as they aren't in direct sunlight and you don't park for extended periods in hot sun. Laminate guitars - should be OK. To be sure, you could back off the string tension on hollows.

Rialto1564 likes this.

3. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Dec 24, 2015
    west of I-10
    Forget the temp just don't let then be riding on the floor. A truck floor transmits shocks from every bump.
    How hot do you think it gets in UPS etc trucks carrying new guitars across the country from California to the east in July. Several days through the desert in 110+ weather.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017

4. Rialto1564

Rialto1564 Tele-Meister

Jun 12, 2013
    Metro Detroit
    Thanks very much. Yeah, I was planning on trying to park in the shade. And maybe it would be best to bring them into the hotel overnight. There was a recent article about a guy that brought a trailer with his antique car in it here to the D and when he woke up the whole trailer was gone. Poor guy.

5. Rialto1564

Rialto1564 Tele-Meister

Jun 12, 2013
    Metro Detroit

True, they're shipped everyday in similar conditions. I will definitely wrap the cases in foam of some kind. Might swing by the guitar store and see if they have extra guitar shipping boxes/stryrofoam. In any case, they'll be off the truck box's floor. Good call on that. Thanks.

hellopike likes this.

6. Rialto1564

Rialto1564 Tele-Meister

Jun 12, 2013
    Metro Detroit
    Found some helpful articles online about this, and will have to take the packaging more seriously.

Will definitely add padding inside the cases, plastic bag over the case to maintain internal environment, bubble wrap outside, etc.

7. Gary in Boston

Gary in Boston Friend of Leo's

Apr 17, 2003
    WALTHAM MA
    I think if you wrap the cased guitar in ......... packing blankets or some similar form of insulation maybe place in the middle of all the other stuff so it will take a real long time for any heat to reach the instrument.

Gary

Rialto1564 likes this.

8. bluesky1963

bluesky1963 Tele-Meister

Apr 1, 2011
    Glendale, AZ
    Eleven years ago I drove a U-Haul from North Carolina to Arizona with a bunch of acoustics in the back in early September. No extra padding, cases only. Took me 3 days, 1.5 days of it to cross Texas. Everything arrived in one piece.

Just make sure they are secured somehow and don't move around in the back of the truck and you should be fine.

sjruvolo and Rialto1564 like this.

9. fender_freak

fender_freak TDPRI Member

Jul 13, 2017
    La Crosse, WI
    Transported my dad and I's collection from FL to WI in August of 2011 without issues in the back of a Uhaul trailer.

Rialto1564 likes this.

10. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Tele-Holic

Jun 7, 2017
    GCDB
    IIRC John Fogerty lost some guitars in moving from LA to Nashvile, but there may have been extenuating circumstances (truck broke down in the desert or something of the sort) I would think your route is far enough north, that you should be fine, as others have noted, make sure they are secure.

Rialto1564 likes this.

11. BopT

BopT Tele-Afflicted

Feb 6, 2011
    Chicago
    Pack them like you are shipping them then no worries.

Rialto1564 likes this.

12. cmclayton101

cmclayton101 Tele-Meister

Oct 12, 2016
    Raleigh, NC
    Most of all dont let them out of sight!

Rialto1564 and 10thoufirst like this.

13. Milspec

Milspec Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2016
    Nebraska
    Can you keep the hollow bodies up in the cab with you? I don't think the heat will be a problem as much as the varying temperature changes from day to night. In my area right now it is upper 70's during the day, but low 40's at night....that would make me nervous as would shifting cargo.

It is done all the time, so I guess it is not a big deal. I was thinking about relocating to Tampa back in June (glad I didn't now with the storms) and was thinking about how to get all my stuff there in one piece as well. I only have 2 acoustics, 1 archtop, and 1 semi-hollow to worry about as the rest were solid bodies. I was planning on carrying them in the cab with me.

Rialto1564 likes this.

14. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Meister

Oct 27, 2008
    Upstate NY
    I've moved back & forth from coast to coast twice. Each time, I packed my car with my guitars and drove cross-country. You don't often get the opportunity to to make that drive, so I had to do it each time.

The guitars never left my side longer than a bathroom break, It was a bit of a pain, but the peace of mind was well worth it to me.

Rialto1564 likes this.

15. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

May 9, 2014
    Behind my beard.
    Certainly take the tension off the strings *just in case* they end up banging against something else.

Rialto1564 likes this.

16. gitold

gitold Friend of Leo's

Mar 25, 2009
    Greeley Co.
    Wow Detroit metro to San Francisco, talk about culture shock! I moved from Detroit to Boulder Co in 1977 with my young family. Talk about culture shock. Good luck on your move and your guitars.

Rialto1564 likes this.

17. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 22, 2007
    Mid-Michigan
    Everything others have said (they'll be OK) + do take them in with you at night. When I traveled cross country a couple times with my Hummingbird it went into diners with me, always by my side. I slept with it beside me in a tent, and these modern days it's with me in the motel. Too many friends have lost their prized guitar while they grabbed a bite or whatever.

Mechanic, Rialto1564 and Tim S like this.

18. dallasblues

dallasblues Tele-Meister

Nov 29, 2011
    When I was touring full-time my guitars and amps rode around in all sorts of horrifying conditions. They bounced around in vans, buses, trucks and trailers in both freezing weather and 100+ degree temperatures. Other than the occasional setup (which was likely needed regardless of travel environment) all were fine.

Vespa_One and drf64 like this.

19. Rialto1564

Rialto1564 Tele-Meister

Jun 12, 2013
    Metro Detroit
    Unfortunately, no room in the cab. Just the two seats and a space in the middle for lunch.

20. Rialto1564

Rialto1564 Tele-Meister

Jun 12, 2013
    Metro Detroit
    Thanks very much.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.