Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Telefy a LP junior?? Juniorcaster??? anyone?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by sergeant.salt, Jul 10, 2018.

1. papaschtroumpf

papaschtroumpf Tele-Holic

Nov 24, 2015
    Colorado
    I'm turning an Epi LP Jr II into a Fano SP6 tribute, but that was a $50 CL buy.

2. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Why not just get a Tele Esquire?

3. ArcticWhite

ArcticWhite Tele-Meister

Apr 14, 2009
    Portland Oregon
    Here's Alex Fischel with his custom made ThinlineStratoTelePaul. With Bigsby.
    Alex+Fischel+Spoon+Kicks+Off+Tour+Brooklyn+sptXU08m8Qwl.jpg

963852_545044708870977_1646668596_o.jpg

Zepfan likes this.
  4. Billnchristy

Billnchristy Tele-Holic

Sep 21, 2017
    Georgia
    So he plays are really expensive Es-lp

5. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 31, 2004
    Hackettstown, NJ
    Rather than tele-fy a Junior, I'd Junior-fy a tele

[​IMG]

Actually, I'd do neither: they both have their own unique tones, and I'd love each one of them for exactly that! I tried the "junior-fy a tele" thing with my Cabronita, and in reality what you end up with is something halfway in-between the two... I love my Cab for what it is, but it's NOT a Junior...

[​IMG]

papaschtroumpf, Zepfan and skunqesh like this.
  6. deadbeat son

deadbeat son Tele-Afflicted

Apr 5, 2010
    Evergreen, CO
    When I was contemplating a similar project as the OP, that was exactly my goal.

7. ruger9

Dec 31, 2004
    Hackettstown, NJ
    Well, that will do it. Alder/pine body + maple neck (all maple or maple/RW) with a P90 will indeed sound like a Tele and Junior had a baby lol.

Junior: hog body, hog neck, P90
    Tele: alder/pine body, maple neck, but with a P90

8. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

These Epi Specials are all around for cheap. I'd keep that other guitar as-is after a pro setup (which may need a fret level). P-90s are a blast.

Epi Specials are bolt-on necks by design so you can shim for any angle in a mod.

I'd get a Tele top-loader bridge and skip the string through. I hate changing strings on string throughs and there is no magic tone or sustain change with/without it. Most people screw up string through hole drilling and it looks bad because it's easy to see misalignment from across the room.

I got this for $15, $7 pickup swap (coil split), 'free' fret level because I do them, $15 in pots/caps/jack, left over knobs.
    Often these guitars sell $25-$50 in various stages of disrepair/abuse and would be a better mod choice.
    EpiLPJr_170114.jpg

9. tfarny

tfarny Tele-Afflicted

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY
    This is probably a bad idea - as some others have said, the neck angle of a set neck Gibson style guitar causes the strings to be too far above the body where they contact the bridge for a tele bridge to work, unless:
    1. You raise the tele bridge off of the body using an extra slab of metal, wood, or something.
    2. You get extra-extra long saddle screws and somehow deal with issues of intonation and break angle that arise.

I wouldn't do in the first place, though, even if I could - that's a cool looking guitar that probably functions just great as is.

10. deadbeat son

deadbeat son Tele-Afflicted

Apr 5, 2010
    Evergreen, CO
    Wrong perspective. The plan was mahogany body, set mahogany 24.75” scale neck, rosewood fretboard, vintage style tele bridge and bridge pickup.

11. ruger9

Dec 31, 2004
    Hackettstown, NJ
    Since you were replying to ME (my post about the Cabronita) above, I must have misunderstood your post.

12. chemobrain

chemobrain Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Nov 5, 2016
    oakland ca.
    It's your guitar your cash, your taste, your itch to scratch.
    Personally I'm in love with the image of Jr.
    so pristine and full of all things wonderful about Les Paul Jr. guitars
    but then I wouldn't , now I'm waxing poetic about a masterpiece of guitar design.:oops:

13. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.