Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Telefy a LP junior?? Juniorcaster??? anyone?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by sergeant.salt, Jul 10, 2018.

1. sergeant.salt

sergeant.salt TDPRI Member

Dec 18, 2012
    Bangkok
    So.. in the mail - on its way from Japan - is a Bacchus take on a Les Paul junior with one g-90 PU installed. Not that I don't like a good junior, but I am pondering about bringing it to a luthier here in Bangkok and set it up with a standard string through tele bridge (adjusted/cut for P90 - replace dog ear with soap bar casing).

Has anyone done anything remotely like it? Is it crazy stupid? Of course it will not be a Telecaster by a long shot, but I like tele bridges and the idea of running strings through the body of a Jr. is kind of appealing to me.

Anyway.. not sure about this one.. Have anyone any experience with similar projects? Or strong opinions? This is the guitar btw: Bacchus LP jr 1.jpg

chemobrain and Squittolo like this.
  2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Why not?
    It might be cost prohibitive, but it might be fun, too.
    It’s not a museum piece, so, bend it to your will.
    You’ll love it, or kick yourself for wasting money.
    Either way, you learn.

sergeant.salt likes this.
  3. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Friend of Leo's

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    I don't know....that's a beauty in my opinion. Personally, if I were to do ANYTHING, I'd add a neck pickup, ala John Lennon's. Either a Charlie Christian like his, or a Tele neck. I added a hot rails style humbucker to my PRS SE One. (which is basically a Junior) I just like the flexibility of two pickups. (but one volume, one tone)

4. cgharrison

cgharrison TDPRI Member

Aug 14, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I think you might run into some trouble with the string height at the bridge. My Tele’s strings are about 3/8” above the body, while my Jr has its strings about 5/8” above. That 1/4” might not sound like much, but I’m guessing that vintage Tele saddles will need their height adjustment screws almost maxed out to achieve that height, and that the intonation screws will be at a really steep angle. Who knows, though? If it worked, it’d look great.

5. NotAnotherHobby

NotAnotherHobby Tele-Afflicted

Oct 27, 2015
    Da' Magic Mittin'
    String-thru holes and a new bridge would be a fairly simple mod, I'd think. I don't see what an ashtray gets you.

If anything, leave the main pup, add a neck single coil, three-way switch, and fashion a new pickguard.

nojazzhere and sergeant.salt like this.
  6. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    Anyway.. not sure about this one.. Have anyone any experience with similar projects? Or strong opinions? This is the guitar btw:

Here's a strong opinion. That's actually a nice looking copy compared to a lot of them. That actually looks like real mahogany as opposed to a mahogany substitute. I'd leave it be and mod something else.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  7. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    I'd prefer a P90 pickup, but I'm not sure you can even get a tele bridge to work on that. You'd need the saddles to go much higher than on a regular tele.

8. sergeant.salt

Dec 18, 2012
    Bangkok
    Yeah.. that's a valid argument. I don't have a Jr. here, but I think you are right that string height would be quite a different story from a traditional Tele setup..

nojazzhere likes this.
  9. sergeant.salt

Dec 18, 2012
    Bangkok
    My friend says the same thing. While it is true what Brookdalebill points out: it is not like I am desecrating any historic relic - ... still, it is rather handsome as it is. Apparently Bacchus used sought out woods for their first line of guitars back in the nineties (this is one of them).

I am gonna see how it feels when it arrives. If it plays great like it is, then maybe it doesn't need to be "fixed" - or like vets and gibsonholics might say: "fixed":D

nojazzhere likes this.
  10. sergeant.salt

Dec 18, 2012
    Bangkok
    Will wait and see. I need to kinda hold it in my hands to make this decision. A trad ashtray might be to shallow. If it goes under the knife I'll post pics here.

11. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jun 4, 2005
    Williamsville NY
    Back in the 70’s I saw an LP Junior with a Strat pickup added at the neck position. If I took note of the tone, that’s long forgotten. The guy was playing a mix of country, bluegrass, and rockabilly on it.

sergeant.salt and nojazzhere like this.
  12. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Mar 27, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta
    Also, why would you replace a dog ear with a soapbar? The screws in the ears would be visible. It's a great looking guitar and I'd leave it as is.

13. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Meister

Apr 3, 2018
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm personally a fan of letting guitars be what they are. It's not a Telecaster, it's a Les Paul Jr. Why try to turn it into something it isn't? If you like the LP Jr. look but prefer Tele style appointments, It would be far less trouble (and possibly less expensive) to build a guitar from scratch.

Also, that particular instrument is a fairly desirable and well-made Japanese replica. A bit too valuable to experiment on, IMO.

14. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Jan 18, 2010
    on my bike
  15. ModerneGuy

ModerneGuy Tele-Holic

Mar 9, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    I’m just going to repeat what most here have said about string heights, but ultimately just don’t do it. Those Bacchus guitars of that era are great. If you must experiment do it on some cheap pawn shop guitar.

Bacchus Korina Vs and Explorers are really good too ...

16. deadbeat son

deadbeat son Tele-Afflicted

Apr 5, 2010
    Evergreen, CO
    This is true. The neck is set at a steeper angle than that of a Tele bolts on. To do it right, the guitar will need a neck reset to the proper angle for a Tele bridge.

I’ve thought about doing this with a cheapo from Rondo as a proof of concept, to include filling the pickup route and rerouting for a traditional Tele bridge pickup. Frankly, it’s probably beyond my skill level, but I’m a guy who isn’t afraid to learn, and I’m also not afraid to waste $100 trying.

Please post back if you do it, but without a neck reset there’s no way I’d go there.

bender66 and sergeant.salt like this.
  17. Nightclub Dwight

Nightclub Dwight Tele-Holic

Aug 12, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Telecasters and LP Jrs are my two favorite guitars. I have long wanted to do a mashup.

But I echo what others have said about string height with a Tele bridge.

I want to do a scratch build with a body routed for a soap bar P90 and a Tel cut bridge. If I can recess the soapbar enough I think I can pull it off.

sergeant.salt and matmosphere like this.
  18. skunqesh

skunqesh Tele-Meister

May 17, 2008
    West Coast
  19. sergeant.salt

Dec 18, 2012
    Bangkok
    I will see... the more I look at it the less I want to do anything to it haha!
    Thanks for the input!

20. Billnchristy

Billnchristy Tele-Holic

Sep 21, 2017
    Georgia
    Get one of the 90 dollar epi jrs for such experiments.

Could you just put the bridge on a block to raise it up?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.