Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Telecoustic?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by logankolarick, Jul 17, 2017.

1. logankolarick

logankolarick Tele-Meister

May 23, 2017
    Tennessee
    Anyone own one of these guitars? Obviously, I dig the Tele version more than the stray version.
    There are a lot of negative reviews on these, and I wanted to hear from you guys about what you think.
    If you played one or own one what do you think of it? Does it sound good plugged in? Unplugged?
    I've heard they aren't very good at all, but man, I sure would like to have one if Fender executed them better.

2. TEENIEMCNEE

TEENIEMCNEE Tele-Meister

Jan 16, 2014
    Glasgow
    Hiya.. I tried one when I was looking for an acoustic.... I was an acoustic beginner and wanted something as close to my Tele as possible. As soon as I picked it up, I knew it wasn't for me. It was very cheap and plasticky feeling (but not cheap costing!) and sounded very thin and weak unplugged, but actually quite nice plugged in. I ended up getting another Fender acoustic, a Malibu Mustang, which is about the same size, all wood, a strat neck and fishman electronics, and I love it. You probably need to try one and then decide. It's a shame because, as you say, Fender should listen to the reviews and make them as awesome as they look! Good luck and let us know what you think if you get hold of one....

logankolarick likes this.

3. Blue

Blue Tele-Holic

Jun 15, 2008
    England
    A bad idea by Fender.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Grandy

Grandy Tele-Meister

Sep 18, 2010
    Finland
    I've been looking for a thinline electric acoustic guitar and I went to check out one that was for sale a few weeks ago. I didn't like it at all. I felt and sounded pretty terrible any way you look at it. The Japanese electric acoustic Fender Teles on the other hand are great. I've got one with nylon strings and wouldn't mind getting the steel string version.

6. DOC DYA

DOC DYA TDPRI Member

Oct 4, 2012
    Luçon _ France
    I bought a Telecoustic last year. It was on sale at Thomann's so I got a good price. The initial price was, in my opinion, too high. It has the sunburst finish. At first look the guitar is nice, especially the neck (good looking maple on my guitar) but I don't think they took too much time to finish the inside of the body (traces of glue, unsanded bracing,...). The frets too could have been dressed a bit more. There is a mini USB connection that I haven't used yet.

I really like this guitar because it is light, with a small body. It is very convenient for travelling.

The settings when I received the guitar where bad. Very high action. I took care of that. I strung it with Thomastik Enfield flatwounds (12-50) because I wanted to use it mostly to play bossa and acoustic strings where a little too bright for my taste.

Unplugged it has a small sound (no surprise with such a small body). It sounds a bit like a gipsy guitar. That said I once saw a street musician using a Telecoustic unplugged with another guitar picker so you don't have to stay at home...

Plugged the sound is very good, thanks to the Fishman 3 bands EQ preamp. I usually plug the guitar in a Blues Junior because in concerts I alternate between an electric and this Telecoustic. With that amp the guitar sounds warm and mellow, very natural, which is what I wanted. Haven't tried it plugged in a dedicated acoustic amp.

I think the concept behind this guitar is great, but it is not suited to everybody. The looks are nice, especially the Tele body. It was priced too high (or for the price the finish quality could have been greater). It's a pity that Fender discontinued it but the Telecoustic history is a bit rocky !... so it might make a comeback someday...

7. Radel Fletchero

Radel Fletchero TDPRI Member

Dec 20, 2016
    Timbuktu
    I own one, a Telecoustic Premier.

I'm happy with it. Maybe because I never expected it would sound good unplugged. Why would I expect it to sound good unplugged considering how thin the body is?

I love the neck, tele feel is spot on. Plugged in, I'd usually have the EQ scooped on the guitar and add a little splash of reverb on the PA. It sounds full when you dialled the PA right.

I understand many pure guitarists won't like it. But as a singer/guitarist, this is enough for my needs. Really comfortable to play because of the thin body and sounds decent enough while you strum and sing.

If it gets lost or stolen, I might consider buying a Yamaha thin line as a replacement. I once owned an APX500 and the new versions with satin neck finish are amazing!

But I have no plans of selling my Telecoustic. She's beautiful aesthetically and good enough performance-wise.

8. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

Oct 3, 2009
    georgia
    Are there models? I see them on CL sometimes for 150.00.

9. TC6969

TC6969 Friend of Leo's

Dec 28, 2007
    Rockledge Florida
    I traded for one once because I wanted its gig bag to put my sniper rifle in.

Like everyone else has said already, its NOT a good acoustic guitar!

It got sold the next day.

10. sean79

sean79 Poster Extraordinaire

I had a Stratacoustic - just long enough to clean it up and sell it. I did not sound good unplugged. Plugged in, it didn't sound bad (didn't sound great, either). Before buying that used one, I didn't know that they (at least some of them) were made in China.

11. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Friend of Leo's

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    Meh. I had a thinline acoustic one time, it was a Washburn, and not a cheap one. The sound was awful., both amplified and acoustic. Bought it online and didn't realize it until I jammed side by side with a couple of friends with normal acoustics. Yes, it was only one experience, but I'll never get a thinline again, no matter who makes it. IMO you need body depth to get proper acoustic sound.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017

12. 8barlouie

8barlouie Tele-Afflicted

May 9, 2015
    Seekonk, MA
    I saw a video of Steve Winwood playing one on stage with EC. It sounded pretty interesting.

13. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

There is also the Godin Acousticaster.

14. tap4154

tap4154 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Southern California
    Plays just like a regular Tele, so it's a very fun couch or camp/hotel guitar. Sounds NOTHING like a regular acoustic guitar in tone or volume, but very cigar-boxy, which has it's own appeal to me. Sounds awesome plugged in. Many come with bad setups, but I put a bone saddle on mine and have it set up very well.

Here's mine unplugged, with a couple backing tracks I pre-recorded on a looper with a regular Tele, playing through the amp.

15. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Friend of Leo's

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    Carvin makes one too, or at least they did. Model AC175.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.