Telecaster Wiring in Series

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by snapshot, Apr 20, 2019.

1. snapshot

snapshot TDPRI Member

I would like to wire my new telecaster pups (both single coil) to have a 4th position, both pickups in series. I would like to use a toggle switch dedicated to the series position only and leave the 3 way switch alone. I don't want to be confused by a 4 way switch and would only occasionally be using the pups in series, so I figured a separate toggle would be the ticket.

I purchased a DPDT on/on mini toggle thinking that is what I needed with one position off or normal, and the other position series on. I've been pouring over schematics all day and now I'm not so sure if I shouldn't have an on/off/on toggle, which might be equally confusing for me to use.

The new neck pickup has 3 leads which supposedly helps for the series option. I thought using the schematic for a push pull pot would work because it has 6 lugs like my switch. Would the attached plan work? Any suggestions or help pointing me to a proper diagram for this setup is greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

From your write up it seems you want to try series but you don't necessarily think you'll use it very much.
    Since you have the guitar apart, you may want to hard wire your neck and bridge pickups together to try that mode out for a few days, just plain series and bypass the switching. That will give you a better idea if you like it or not.

You can wire the 4-way switch to put the series in a different location on the throw.
    The traditional is the series all the way forward, I like series all the way to the back (so I can slam from neck to series or back up one for twang), some put the series in the middle so they always have a clear shot of neck to bridge single coil sounds and if they need parallel or series they can just back up a space from one end or the other.

This may help. Your toggle switch needs to have the six lugs to work with though -- because you are swapping pairs of wires to get series vs parallel.

[​IMG]

3. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Traditional series is as shown. With the Neck grounded it will sound different. Usually G-N-B-+ is a little fuller and bassier, while G-B-N-+ tends to emphasis mids ; but what p-up is in each position make a difference. If you do the hard wired trial jvin suggested you might also try it switching the ground and hot of the pickup chain to see if you like one better than the other.

4. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

www.deaf-eddie.net/drawings/tele-series.jpg

Eddie uses a push/pull. You can use a separate DPDT switch too.

His schematic enables the series selection no matter where you're at on your 3 way.

This is the way I will do it in the future. I'm not a big Oak Grigsby switch fan.

snapshot likes this.
  5. snapshot

snapshot TDPRI Member

Thanks Spud. I plan to use the Deaf Eddie diagram. Waiting for the pickups (byoguitar vortex hot tele) to arrive in the mail. Should have plenty of room on the control plate for the mini toggle. I appreciate all the help on this great forum!

SPUDCASTER likes this.
  6. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

That diagram should work fine, though I would suggest you give the 4-way a try first. In my opinion, you will soon get used to it, and it will be less confusing than an extra switch (and prettier).

7. snapshot

snapshot TDPRI Member

Thanks AJ. I certainly agree with prettier as anything Leo didn't put on it probably wasn't necessary. I have a Nashville that only wears two pickups.

Since I already have the parts I am going to try the toggle using a spare control plate. If I can't get past the looks or can't use the series setting, I can always return it to stock.

Its a 2005 Highway One and the stock pups are less than impressive. So many alternative pickups out there but I'm trying the byoguitar vortex hot teles. BYOG Vortex Alnico 3 slightly overwound. My other teles already had upgrade pickups so this is my first cut at trying somthing new.

Attached Files:

8. sjtalon

sjtalon Doctor of Teleocity

Was a Nashville :D

SPUDCASTER and snapshot like this.
  9. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Rob@Cavalier makes me a Bournes no load push/pull tone pot for my Tele's. You might contact him if your interested instead of the toggle.

I have one Tele with a tapped bridge pickup. I'm using a mini switch between the volume and tone pots. There hasn't been a down side to this configuration yet.

Since you already have the switch and the extra control plate. I'd say, carry on.:D

snapshot likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.