Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Telecaster Weight Project

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by nycThinline, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Edsel Presley

Edsel Presley Tele-Meister

Jan 29, 2017
    Just did it again. It's actually 8 on a crappy cheapo luggage scale.

2. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Good info, you came up with what i generally figure; body weight plus 3lbs equals whole guitar weight.
    I build Esquires but you went with aluminum knobs.
    Those Fender knobs weigh a ton, but I can't pay Rutters prices for knobs...

@Lefty Addams
    ...Weight weenies, ha ha ha...

I build road bikes too, vintage Italian frames and a mix of road racing and mountain bike components. Always too heavy, like 21lbs.
    Hence the weight weenies, titanium nuts and bolts make them happy!

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
  3. The Blood

The Blood TDPRI Member

Dec 31, 2014
    Healdsburg, CA
    No I didn't. But now I know what that is thanks to your question.
    I wouldn't care if it did, though. Holding the tele is nothing like dealing with an acoustic guitar or banjo as I've had to do at gigs. Much harder to get good strap positions with those.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 8, 2007
    Norfolk UK
    I like light guitars and wanted a lightweight tele body .an ad for a very cheap light body came up on ebay so I got it .It only cost about 20 UK quids.As it was local I went round to collect it .The guy lived in a small flat with a small TV ,one chair and a 74 telecaster which was a fine player and a small unnamed amp and a Brian May electric uke with no strings .
    The tele body is paulwonia and very light and quality wise absolute rubbish but looks good ,sounds very resonant .even had a belly cut .No idea what make it is .The bonus was I sold the pickguard with it for 6 UKP .I also have GFS strat bodies Paulwonia strat thats super light .

6. Lupo

Lupo Tele-Holic

May 19, 2014
    Genova-Italy
    I consider this a joke... salt in bread is the first thing I can figure out... For the rest, non metric unitst are great just to get satelite out of the proper orbit or to create confusion as long as are not the same in UK and US... I suggest you to have a pint of breer and relax, enjoying the 95 (useless) ml you are drinking and you would not drink in the US...

7. dlew919

dlew919 Friend of Leo's

Aug 6, 2012
    Sydney
    Actually enough of those 1/28 oz things together could make tonnes. Both metric and imperial.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  8. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Tele-Afflicted

Aug 23, 2014
    Woodstock
    Hey guys, I stumbled across this thread and it prompts a question. It seems that the majority here on the forum prefer lighter weight guitars. I get that they are easier on the back, but is there another reason? All else being equal, do you prefer the sound of the lighter guitars?

It may be coincidence, but I have noticed after many, many years of playing that the guitars I end up keeping tend to be the heavier examples. My first criteria is tone, and of course that's subjective. For example, I have two vintage spec Strats, both with the same pickups, and the heavier one sounds thicker in the bass and lower mids than the lighter one. The lighter one (quite a bit lighter) has a more upper mid emphasis that sounds "clanky" to me.

I would appreciate reading anyone else's weight/tone observations. By the way, I love the sound of my CV 50's Tele with Keystones. It weighs over 8 1/2 lbs. - need a wide strap for that one.

Thanks.

9. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Matt, the TDPRI guys who CARE about lightness talk about it and those TDPRI guys who care much less about weight almost never talk about it.

To me, Balance is what matters much more. When assembling something we sweat the weights (to the gram sometimes) to make sure neither the neck nor the loaded body weighs so much or so little they cannot be matched to the other. That's IMO why weight matters to me.

I basically only use the 5.5 ounce Gotoh splits because this saves me three ounces I can then put into the weight of the FAT neck I choose. 615 grams is getting up there - the average T style here probably has a neck (without nut or machines, bolts, plate) of maybe 525 grams.

10. OlRedNeckHippy

OlRedNeckHippy Friend of Leo's

Jan 12, 2012
    South Jersey
    My stock 2012 MIM Nashville Tele weighs in at a whopping 9.5 pounds.
    It's heavy, compared to my chambered LP (7.25), but the LP sits as a backup while Nash plays the whole gig.

11. fabricator

fabricator Tele-Meister

Jun 29, 2012
    Texas
    My telecasters tend to weigh in around 7 lbs, but this one came in right at 5.8 lbs. The body is made from Home Depot pine (my first pine body).

I initially made it 1.5" thick, then bored a bunch of holes in it (leaving.25" thickness for the back) until it looked like a piece of Swiss cheese, then I glued on a .25" pine cap for the top.

With a Fender CS Broadcaster bridge p/u, CS twisted tele neck p/u, and 4-way switching, I'm pretty happy with the final product. IMG_5518.JPG IMG_5519.JPG

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.