Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Join TDPRI Today

Telecaster Weight Project

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by nycThinline, Jan 3, 2017.

1. nycThinline

nycThinline TDPRI Member

Nov 20, 2014
    Queens NYC
    I weighed every piece as I assembled my new blackguard and here are the results in grams:

(1oz = 28.35 grams)

[​IMG]

Pics
    https://goo.gl/photos/aMbKUXHZv8WQACfVA

What is missing is:

-shielding foil
    -wire
    -1/4 jack
    -pickup springs
    -strings

Notes:

-regular dome knobs add 42g
    -aluminum neck plates were quoted in the mid 30 grams
    -tuner weights will vary....Gotoh Stealth tuners weigh 11.9 grams each
    -neck was lacquer sealed warmoth fatback roasted maple

In the end my fully shielded guitar weighed 6lbs 14.6oz strung with 9-46 versus the 6lbs 11.5oz (3048.1 gram) of parts weight. I added some material to prop the neck pu to the ideal height.

[​IMG]

2. dkmw

dkmw Tele-Afflicted

Mar 30, 2016
    Florida USA
    Thanks for posting - I meant to do something like this last time I put one together. I've done a lot of work in composites industry where we obsess over weight so weighing components of a part is nothing new to me.

Mentioning this led to a funny in incident recently. I was in our local small guitar shop, showing them my new paulownia body. I mentioned that it weighed exactly 1.12 K, or 2.45 lbs. A couple of local heros were there, asked me how I knew the weight so precisely.

I said "Oh I weigh lots of stuff". They looked at each other and then one of them said "can we see you in the bathroom?". I was backpedalling quickly lol, "no I don't weigh that kind of stuff"

3. nycThinline

nycThinline TDPRI Member

Nov 20, 2014
    Queens NYC
    yeah the goal was a sub 7lbs and while I was at it I wanted to do a little research for future builds

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. nycThinline

nycThinline TDPRI Member

Nov 20, 2014
    Queens NYC
    FYI I used a warmoth roasted maple fatback which weighed 1lbs 11.6 oz with tuners/nut/tree

a warmoth 59 I also own weighs 1lbs 9.6 oz

6. etype

etype Tele-Holic

Sep 23, 2014
    Dallas
    Did I read that right that the body is 3lbs-14.6oz and the completed guitar is 6lbs-14.6 oz. So everything but the body is EXACTLY 3 lbs?

I did something similar with two partscasters and found that adding 3lbs-3.4lbs (depending on pickus, tuning machines, and bridge) to the body weight would get you pretty close to the final weight. I am sure a tremolo would add more, maybe 8-12oz?

7. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

I did an esquire build last month with a 3.1 lb body. total weight came in at 6.4 lbs.

8. nycThinline

nycThinline TDPRI Member

Nov 20, 2014
    Queens NYC
    [​IMG]

with a bunch if cardboard to prop the neck up to the perfect height

9. robotguitar

robotguitar Tele-Holic

Dec 29, 2009
    visalia, CA
    Cool, I got one of those old growth redwood body Teles and it's under 7 lbs.

10. nycThinline

nycThinline TDPRI Member

Nov 20, 2014
    Queens NYC
    The body or the whole guitar?

11. robotguitar

robotguitar Tele-Holic

Dec 29, 2009
    visalia, CA
    Whole guitar weighs about 6.5 lbs.

12. Lefty Addams

Lefty Addams Tele-Holic

May 6, 2012
    England
    Gosh a weightweenie tele, who'd have thought it.

telemnemonics likes this.

13. Journeyman22

Journeyman22 Tele-Meister

Dec 11, 2014
    Piute County, Utah
    9 29 16 3a.jpg I just put this guy together, SX, Deluxe copy. I installed a JP wiring harness in it, plus a complete mod rebuild and paint. Along with my Mustang III v2, It has taken the place of just about all my guitars! Awesome sounding thing. The only problem is it is close to being a 10 pounder! LOL!

14. The Blood

The Blood TDPRI Member

Dec 31, 2014
    Healdsburg, CA
    I just came on this thread and am very interested since I just finished a weight project of my own. Of the two very similar teles shown below, one of the two shown below weighs 9.0 lbs and the other weighs 6.4.

The one on the right started out as a squire CV which ended up getting some Fralin blues specials and a 1 3/4 width Warmoth neck with the "59 round back" profile. Somehow this combination of material I really bonded with, which led to a whole new enthusiasm for playing. That neck width corresponded to the acoustics I've been gigging with for the last decade and gives me the room I need, which simply isn't there for me with all other tele necks. Its been a lifelong issue for me with electrics, having chubby hands.

This Warmoth/Squier did weigh 9 lbs, though, and I got interested in the idea of a backup with some effort towards the same thing only lighter, maybe putting heavier strings on it and using it for slide, or whatever.

So...the tele on the left has the same pickups and hardware, but a chambered swamp ash body from MJT (3.5 lbs), and a rosewood fingerboard with a "modern thin" profile (also 1 3/4"", which led to final weight of 6.4 lbs.

The big surprise, now playing them for several days, is in how different they feel and sound, even with the same strings and pickups. The rosewood feels more hollow-body-like, and the maple one feels more les-paul-like, if that makes any sense. Having said that, there has been a couple of times late at night when I didn't know which one I was playing...

tele pair in livrm (1 of 1).jpg

tintag27 likes this.

15. since71

since71 TDPRI Member

Oct 29, 2016
    London
    ....as if any more evidence was needed about the uselessness of metric weights. What the H weighs 1/28th of an ounce?

16. dablues

dablues Tele-Meister

Mar 21, 2007
    Lynden, WA
    Tons of things (not literally, of course), if you're doing science-y things. It's actually super useful. I don't know how frustrated I'd be if I couldn't use metric for science and science teaching, but it'd be bad.

boris bubbanov likes this.

17. Galibier_Un

Galibier_Un Tele-Meister

Jul 12, 2016
    Colorado
    The majority of the civilized world would ask why the US uses units that are multiples of 28.35 grams ;-)

... Thom

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
    tintag27 likes this.

18. since71

since71 TDPRI Member

Oct 29, 2016
    London
    ....and your tele weighs how many grams exactly? try putting that on eBay!
    Must go, I'm off to measure my car's kilometres to the litre.

19. Truecolors

Truecolors TDPRI Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Florida
    Do you notice neck dive on the 3.5 body?

20. Edsel Presley

Edsel Presley Tele-Meister

Jan 29, 2017
    What's the average weight for a factory Tele? My first thought when I got mine was that it was heavy. It weighed at about 7.5 lbs.

21. Average_Joe

Average_Joe Tele-Meister

IIRC around 8 pounds.

You got lucky ;-)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.