Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Telecaster Special Owners Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by JeffsJeep04, Feb 3, 2009.

1. JeffsJeep04

JeffsJeep04 Tele-Holic

Seems like there is enough knowledge and appreciation for these guitars that we aught to have our own thread. It's the owners on here that made me get this one. Finally got pictures up, so I figured I'd kick it off. This one has been well loved, and it shows, but it's just a killer sounding guitar and the neck (while a bit thin for my tastes) just feels awesome. Almost feels like there isn't a finish on it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. JeffsJeep04

JeffsJeep04 Tele-Holic

And the last two I took:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. smsuryan

smsuryan Friend of Leo's

what are the specs on a tele special? it looks sweet! MIM? MIA? neck radius and fret size? pups?

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. BritishBluesBoy

BritishBluesBoy Doctor of Teleocity

Here's the one I had. Gave it to my good friend Fred when he was a little down on his luck. Am really glad I did too, he LOVES that guitar.

[​IMG]

6. JeffsJeep04

JeffsJeep04 Tele-Holic

MIM. Feels like a 9.5" radius, and the frets are low and wide, same width as my JV medium jumbos but a little lower. The build quality is really nice. Finish is thin, seems like poly. Transparent on the front, opaque on the back with a bit of a burst on the front to taper into it. Vintage hardware. Originally had a 6 saddle vintage style bridge, but the PO put the three saddle threaded steel one on, which I'm very glad for. Bridge pickup is american, not sure what the story on the humbucker is, but it's a raunchy little fellow.

I've seen some people call the neck a U shape, but mine definitely isn't. It's rather flat feeling (wide and just barely thicker then the newer american and mexican necks). I like thicker necks, but the finish on it feels so good it's not really worth swapping out to me.

5 way switch: bridge, bridge and split HB, bridge and HB, split HB, and HB. TBX tone control, which is extremely useful with the tele bridge pickup and the borderline muddy neck.

7. smsuryan

smsuryan Friend of Leo's

sounds nice! i like the 3 saddle bridge thats been added, sorta looks like a 52ri hot rod on first glance...

8. Howard VA

Howard VA Tele-Meister

I'm a former member

I traded my crimsonburst Fender Tele Special
    [​IMG]
    when I bought my transparent blue Fender FMT Custom Tele
    [​IMG]
    I love the FMT Tele, but in hindsight, I wish I would have just bought it without the trade in. I didn't realize I'd miss the Tele Special so much. After all, it was one of 6 Teles I owned at the time. So much for that line of reasoning. It is definitely the one that got away, and it was my own darn fault. :(

9. 91xlntS-3

91xlntS-3 Tele-Afflicted

Here's my '95...

[​IMG]

I've got all the parts to change this into a version of a '52 Hot Rod:

3 saddle bridge, Mini HB and replacement p-guard.

The stock HB is too muddy, even with the TBX control. One of the best feeling Teles you can sling from your shoulder! :D

10. braderrick

braderrick Tele-Afflicted

Finally! a club I can be in, pics coming soon!

11. JeffsJeep04

JeffsJeep04 Tele-Holic

I found the stock pickup muddy as well, but with some tweaking on the amp got it to be very usable. It sounds MUCH better with a little grind then clean, and with the bridge pickup that sounds killer to me clean and dirty, that works just fine for me.

12. 91xlntS-3

91xlntS-3 Tele-Afflicted

jjo4,

I agree, the best tones come from the Bridge/Neck combos. But even with the TBX max-ed, the Neck p-up by its self is still to dark/muddy sounding for me. So, I'm swapping the stock HB for a GFS AlNico Mini and have a complete control plate w/Vol/Tone/3 way to replace the stock controls. Think I'll be happier with this set up.

I had never seen one of the Tele Specials till my former bass player brought his to rehearsal. One of the best feeling Teles I had played in a while. So, I traded him out of it and started tweaking to my liking. Wish I could get the stock HB to sound better, I'd just as soon leave it stock. But I like the looks of a '52 Hot Rod, and I've got all the parts; so, we''ll see how she turns out!

13. JeffsJeep04

JeffsJeep04 Tele-Holic

Absolutely let us know how the GFS stuff works out, I'd be very interested in going that route for the same reasons you are.

I'll keep the stock pick guard and HB around incase these ever get to be worth lots and lots of money *chuckle*

14. RocknDom

RocknDom TDPRI Member

Features

"Telecaster Special"
    ...Predecessor of "Tex-Mex".

Years: 1993 - 1997?

US Parts/
    Made in Mexico.

Features:
    21 Frets (0.039" x 0.099").
    9.5" radius.
    "U" Shape neck.
    Tinted maple neck w/ "skunk stripe".
    Medium jumbo frets.
    Vintage style tuners (Kluson)
    Poplar, alder, or basswood body w/ ash veneer (top)
    Translucent front finish.
    Opaque sides/back finish.
    5-Way switch.
    1 Volume knurled knob.
    1 Tone knurled knob.
    TBX "Treble-Bass Expander" tone control.
    1 Split Humbucker pickup (neck).
    1 Single coil pickup (bridge).
    6-Saddle vintage bridge.
    String through body.

5-Way Switch capabilities:
    1) Full Humbucker
    2) Split Humbuker
    3) Full Humbucker & Bridge
    4) Split Humbucker and Bridge (sort of the traditional Tele middle position)
    5) Bridge

Available colors:
    Butterscotch blonde?
    White blonde?
    Sunburst (Two tone or Three tone)?
    Crimson red?

Reviews here.
    Another review here.

Related thread:
    MIM Telecaster Special

15. RocknDom

RocknDom TDPRI Member

---Not quite an owner yet, but it'll be arriving shortly and I'm pretty excited about my Tele Special.

I've been trying to learn as much info. about these guitars as possible and that's what I've listed so far. Basically, found all the info. I've read and put it into a nice order... :grin:

Some of what I wrote is not definite (ie. italicized or questioned) and I need help, so let me know what to change or add.

Thanks!

16. Esquire59

Esquire59 Tele-Holic

What's with that pickguard, no offence, but that looks just wrong :rolleyes:

17. 91xlntS-3

91xlntS-3 Tele-Afflicted

It was wrong!!

The guard that was on it was a "home brew" and looked sooo wrong!! It was replaced with a new 3 ply from GFS and it fit perfectly. Looks so much better.

[​IMG]

Here it is with the new guard, along with it's siblings.

18. JeffsJeep04

JeffsJeep04 Tele-Holic

The only spec I would question is the U neck. Mine most definitely isn't a U shape, and as confirmed in the neck measurement thread, others are also on the thin side. It's quite similar to a comparable MIM standard in thickness. I'll likely swap it out for an allparts neck down the road, then she'll be a dead ringer for my #1 guitar. The bridge pickup is all I need, but the bucker is useable, especially split. Guess I'm just a single coil guy...:D

19. Esquire59

Esquire59 Tele-Holic

that certainly looks much better!! :mrgreen:

20. Tim73

Tim73 Friend of Leo's

It's great to join. Here's my 1995 Tele Special, albeit fairly heavily modded

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. TNO

TNO Friend of Leo's

I bought one the first year they were out. Awesome classic tele tone from the poplar body. Regretted selling it for years until I got my CV.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.