Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Telecaster Serial Mod with a toggle switch (sorted)

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by kizzer, Sep 24, 2017.

1. kizzer

kizzer TDPRI Member

Sep 24, 2017
    UK
    (This query is now sorted)

Hi Guys. I'm new to the forum and am hoping you can help me with your knowledge!

I am rewiring an old 80's Squier Telecaster which I have had for a while. The previous owner had done a number on the wiring, so I've taking it all out and started again. I have installed a 3 way CRL switch and 2 250K CTS pots, 0.047uF orange drop capacitor and a Treble bleed cap with a 150k resistor.

The previous owner had drilled a hole in the control plate, so before getting a new plate I looked around and found out about the serial mod that could be done with an on/on DPDT toggle switch which I happen to have lying around.

Would you guys be able to help me with a way to hook this up?

I am looking for the normal 3 positions with toggle down - Bridge/ Bridge-Neck parallel/ Neck
    And Bridge-Neck in series with the toggle up.

Is it possible to have it so when the toggle is up and the pickups are in series that the position of the 3 way switch is irrelevant?

Anyway, thanks for any help you can give me, a diagram of what I've done so far is below, cheers.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017

2. Deaf Eddie

Deaf Eddie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2003
    Sunny San Diego, CA
    The FIRST thing you need to do is to modify your neck pickup by "ungrounding/regrounding" its metal cover. Here's HOW...

Then you can try wiring it up as per the edit I did to your drawing:

Tele sereies-parallel-middle-throw-toggle.jpg

NOTE that, as with the Fender 4-way switch, the neck pickup's hot is connected directly to the volume pot. It is controlled by switching its negative lead...

PLUS, you have to make the bridge pickup "come and go" in the middle throw for the series to work.

In the drawing, with the switch connecting the LEFT lugs, the neck pup is grounded and the bridge pup appears in the middle throw - parallel. With the RIGHT lugs connected, in the middle throw the neck pup is in series with the bridge pup.

Hope this helps.

3. kizzer

kizzer TDPRI Member

Sep 24, 2017
    UK
    Thanks for the reply!

So if I'm reading it right, you can only switch into series when the pickup selector is in the middle position?

There is a different layout I found on the Premier Guitar site. They used a 2PDT switch, but said a DPDT switch could be used in its place. This allows you to switch to series regardless of where the 3 way selector is situated.

[​IMG]
    The lugs on the 3 way selector are staggered the other way which is throwing me a bit. Should I reverse the wiring on the pickup selector to mirror it like this?

[​IMG]

4. Deaf Eddie

Deaf Eddie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2003
    Sunny San Diego, CA
    So if I'm reading it right, you can only switch into series when the pickup selector is in the middle position?

In my drawing, you can throw the switch at any time, but it only has an effect in the 3-way's middle position. I thought you wanted the switch to change JUST the middle throw from parallel to series, leaving the other throws "stock" - which is what I gave you. I misread your intention.

The second diagram you posted does just what it says - regardless of where the 3-way is, throw the series switch and you get series, and the 3-way is rendered moot.

Either one works, you just need to decide if you want the series/parallel switch to OVERRIDE the 3-way in series, or simply change the middle throw from parallel to series, leaving the neck and bridge solo throws normal.

As for the stagger on the 3-way's lugs, as long as the top-left and bottom-right lugs (in the drawings) are the commons, the stagger makes no difference. The ONLY time the stagger is an issue is if it indicates that the common lugs are at the opposite ends of the row of switching lugs (top-right and bottom-left).

IF you find that is the case, you would have to "adjust" the drawing and wiring to match the location of the common lugs. This is as simple as moving the (vertical) row of switching lugs up or down ONE position, and putting the common at the opposite end.

5. kizzer

kizzer TDPRI Member

Sep 24, 2017
    UK
    Cheers for the help Eddie!

With a little rewiring I've got it sorted now. The toggle switch puts both pickups into serial regardless of where the 3-way switch is.

[​IMG]

6. Telegraphonic

Telegraphonic TDPRI Member

Feb 4, 2017
    Memphis
    Stoked to welcome a fellow Elliott fan to the forum. What's your favorite song of his?

7. kizzer

kizzer TDPRI Member

Sep 24, 2017
    UK
    Yeah, Elliott is my favorite musician, I'm a huge fan of his self titled 2nd solo album of which every song is amazing to me, especially Clementine. But my favorite is No Name #6 which was the B-side on the Division Day single.

Telegraphonic likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.