Telecaster question

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Cedarstrength, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Cedarstrength

Cedarstrength TDPRI Member

So a friend of mine came across this American Telecaster at a yard sale. Serial number indicates that it is a 2001 - 2002 model (Z2+6 NUMBERS). I have been searching on line to see if I can find out what model it is or learn anything about it. I can' t seem to find much and haven't seen many in this particular color without a pick guard. I was wondering if anyone could tell me a little more about it? Maybe what it is actually worth.

Telecaster.jpg

2. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

What colour is it? It's hard to tell in that pic.

3. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

Uh oh.

We need more pictures, closeups, and he’s gotta pull the neck off.

blille likes this.
  4. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Yes, pics needed. Headstock shot, front and back, same with guitar overall, front and back.

Did you ask FMIC about your serial number? Email them.

[edit] You don't need to pull the neck, yet anyways.

5. Cedarstrength

I don't really want to pull the neck off if I do not have to. He does not play so I suggested that it can stay at my house until he feels like selling it. haha. It sounds great but I have to admit I know little about telecasters. It is a silver/grey, not a chrome finish.

6. John C

John C Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

It's a stock model, probably from late 2002 or early 2003 (you would have to pull the neck to make sure) as they came out at the 2003 NAMM show: American Tele HS (or maybe they called is SH). That silver-gray finish was called something like "chrome silver"; the so-called "chrome" finishes of that era were metalflake finishes with the flakes in the paint itself; the older candy finishes were a silver or gold undercoat with the color (like red for candy apple red or blue for lake placid blue) coat over it.

They only made them without the pickguard for maybe a year at the most; by the end of 2003 they added the pickguard back and added an S-1 switch to split the humbucker.

7. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Tele-Afflicted

Even if you don't want to pop the neck, we need more detailed pictures to help. It sure looks like a fairly unusual Tele to me, but it may just be down to my ignorance about modern-style, humbucking teles.

PS: the suggestion to shoot a mail to Fender Consumer Relations is a good one. They'll probably solve your mistery fairly quickly

8. Cedarstrength

I just shot off an email to Fender, so hopefully they will respond. I do not have the guitar with me right now, but I will can post a few more pics later today. I haven't found one quite like it in my searches online either, but I know that I am ignorant to such things. Hence why I'm here.

9. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

This.
    There is a Fender Atomic II pickup in the neck position.

10. Nick Fanis

11. Cedarstrength

12. Tuxedo Poly

Tuxedo Poly Tele-Afflicted

13. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

I don’t see a plug in the truss rod adjustment.

14. John C

John C Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I should have pulled this an looked myself - it is pewter not chrome silver. I had the chrome red and chrome blue on the brain when I typed earlier today. :oops:

I think it's just the camera angle - it has the normal modern string trees.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  15. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

The string trees are easy to fake, but not a missing plug.

16. Nick Fanis

It is just the camera angle.
    The guitar is 100% original and not a fake.

17. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

back to the original question. It is indeed an early 2000's HS Tele, I feel they they didn't do well in the stores because they looked ..uhh..different. They had an almost MODERN Furniture Decor look to them , but think of the era, this was a very experimental time. MIM's were coming on strong, CIJ's were very popular So Fender USA was trying all sorts of stuff, some stuck, some did not. Overall it's probably a very nice guitar.

Like on Reverb the few I have seen as of late were in the +/- $800 range. We don't see all that many because there aren't all that many !

Today we can find off shore Squires basically the same guitar ! ( or very close ) Go figure.

18. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I agree. This in person is a sort of Pewter color.

I think its value is more or less the same as any other American (American Series) of this era. Its relative scarceness is balanced IMO by the lack of serious demand for it. I remember many, many Guitar Center locations still having one of these for sale, NOS or whatever, well through to 2008 and the store would always work out something if you wanted it. I played one at the Lakeland FL store and it was a really nice example - I just wanted other things more.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  19. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I agree with all of your post, 100% until we get to here. I think the Squiers (and I have some) are superficially similar to this but key aspects (dual action truss rod, tilt neck, chromed yellow brass metal plate with offset sintered steel saddles) differ so much (as do the pots, caps, pickups and care of manufacture) that the two guitars play much more differently from one another than one would expect.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.