Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

telecaster question for the ignorant!

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Coolehandluke, May 15, 2018.

1. Coolehandluke

Coolehandluke TDPRI Member

May 15, 2018
    fareham UK
    Hi, New to this forum but have a question straight away!

before possible spending a great deal of money could you advise,

1. Is there actually a great deal of difference between the pre professional standard telecaster and the professional. Probably more in the feel and the playability.
    I actually don't mind the medium jumbo frets, and have not really noticed much of a difference in the neck on my pro stratocaster, but I hate the new pickups.
    So options are to buy a late old standard telecaster at a cheaper price or buy a 2017 Pro for about a grand. (by the way i am cursed with being left handed so never many options to try)

any opinions would be great

Aztex and 24 track like this.

2. Wrighty

Wrighty Tele-Holic

Aug 17, 2013
    Essex UK
    I’ve a 2004 Am std Strat and a new Pro Tele. The tall frets and C neck on the Tele for me make it a much more comfortable play. Having never played a Pro Strat I can only assume that the differences would be the between an Am std and Pro Tele.

3. 24 track

24 track Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    welcome fellow lefty!

the only advise I can give you is to try and find what works best for you and what you like , My tele is an affinity lefty that I got for a song and Im impressed with the sound of its pick ups ( the first fender I havent wanted to dissembowl and rebuild, )
    having said that I have 2 american made strats a 78 & 96 both required total new guts until I found what I wanted them to sound like, which like all things is subjective.

find what talks to you and go from there!

I dont know if I helped much here, but welcome to the fun factory!

4. stratclub

stratclub Tele-Meister

Mar 15, 2018
    PNW
    You could replace the pickups. Pickups are ambidextrous as long as they don't have staggered pole pieces.

5. Evil Funk

Evil Funk TDPRI Member

Sep 23, 2017
    Montana
    i had a MIM Standard Tele, an American Special Tele and now the American Elite Tele. the features DO get better as the price goes up, as well as the feel and playability. So does the overall quality of the guitar.

that being said... the MIM Standard was a fantastic guitar and i cherished it immensely. it requires minimal upgrades... i only changed the tuners to some locking ones. the pickups were actually quite nice. if that is all you can afford, have no fears about it and buy with confidence.

but, you do get what you pay for, and if you were to play a MIM Standard and my American Elite side by side, you would see/feel/hear the difference in seconds. but that is expected. if you ARE able to do such a thing at a music store... compareing the 2 guitars you have an interest in.... do it. it may help you decide.

it's a hard choice; get what you can afford now, or save up and never have to worry about upgrading.....

i wish had waited and saved up for the stuff i have now. it would have saved me a ton of $$$.

Telescience and LocoTex like this.

6. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 3, 2003
    Athens-GREECE
    There is no inherent "playability" in a guitar.Any well set up guitar will play great.Everything else is just personal preference in specs.

i.e. I much prefer the older am.std medium Jumbo frets than the new skinny tall ones.

paratus likes this.

7. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    a guitar is nothing more than a signal generator.... for that generated signal to be better than the signal generated by another guitar, only one thing needs happen, that is, for you to prefer the one signal's sound over another ..

as long as a fretted note is the correct frequency... and that happens relative to any fretted note, things are correct.

the actual voice of the guitar is insignificant other than as a "fashion choice". As long as you can play well, no one gives a rat's bum what the guitar sounds like as long as it sounds like a guitar.

It doesn't matter if you're playing "purple Haze" on a ES 335, or "Badge" on a Danelectro... no one cares. as long as you play it well..

thus "playing well" becomes the defining quality, everything else is secondary...

Beyond that there only remains the mechanicals.. do you like the feel of the neck and body... Choose something that fits those parameters and get to learning to play well... For an amateur guitarist, still heading up the :"learning curve" chasing tome becomes the single most detrimental distraction to achieving what you really want.. respect.. That results from the quality of your playing , not from what you own and are trying to play, poorly most likely.

The two things that best define a "quality guitar" are the quality of the fret work. so get them leveled, and the quality of the setup.. other 'n that, If Eric Clapton can play a Squire, so can you..

and if you're looking for "quality tone" and only have a entry level amp. . . are you nuts? that's a self fulfilling disaster, much like Diogenes searching in the Halls of Congress.. it's like buying a Ferrari to cruise the back dirt roads of rural America..

rk

8. Ronkirn

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    Something to keep in mind.. as long as the guitar functions as it should, as it's designed... there is nothing that can be done to the 25.5 inches between the nut and the bridge to correct nonexistent problems ... or anywhere else on the guitar for that matter...

However there IS something that can be done to the 6 inches between the two ears of the one contemplating the nonexistent problems... .. Between the two ears exist the brain, domicile of "the mind".. so if you perceive a problem change your mind.. problem fixed...

Because "you" perceive a problem does not mean the problem exists other than in your head...

the vast majority of the issues I see "discussed" here are subjective.. guys that are, at some subconscious level, saying, "I'm special, I require special considerations..." Now that may be true of the Jeff Becks of the world, but a "weekend warrior" that's not even interested enough in the guitar to take proper music lessons.. well they have no special needs... other than changing their mind..

Get your head straight so you can enjoy the guitar...

rk

9. paratus

paratus Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

Dec 2, 2010
    Michigan
    @Ronkirn, great responses, but I think the OP's question was "...for the ignorant !"

I don't think you meet that qualification sir! :lol:

Deeve likes this.

10. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Tele-Afflicted

Apr 11, 2016
    Las Vegas, NV
    As far as the V-Mod pups of the AmPro series, from my own limited trials and comments on the innernest, it seems that the ones in the Teles are more well received and liked than the ones in the Strats. The newer "treble bleed" circuit works quite well, though I've never seen the need in a Tele, but in the Strat it's definitely a plus, in my eyes/ears. There are certainly enough small upgrades/improvements on the American Professional Telecasters to make them desirable and Tele pickups are relatively inexpensive, so if that's the only sticking point, it's easily rectified and the cost can likely be mostly re-couped by selling off the V-Mod pups, if not liked! i love the neck profile and the tall, narrow frets.

And while Ron's words convey many indisputable truths, the more welcoming a guitar is to the hands and the space between one's ears, the more one will play it and the better that playing will become. Also, the audience will certainly never notice the subtle nuances many of us chase, but the quality of our performance CAN be improved when we are confident that we're easily achieving those nuances that we strive for, and the audience WILL likely notice that! We all do many things every day to massage, manipulate, trick and cajole our gray matter for our own personal comfort and satisfaction and having that "PERFECT" guitar is really no different! And while it's absolutely true that a truly great player can sound great on any guitar, there are few who would say they'd rather do so on an uncomfortable (to them) instrument!

Now, given that Ron has reportedly and notably crafted some of the finest and most well loved guitars on the planet, I suspect that some of his comments (while very true) are simply pokin' fun and bustin' balls for his own (and ours) entertainment and amusement! :eek: Us crotchety old farts have been well known for such behavior throughout history! :p And it takes one to know one! :cool:

Love Ya Ron!
    Gene

Last edited: May 16, 2018

11. Deeve

Deeve Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Dec 7, 2009
    Ballard
    Oh man, Ron really got it wrong this time.
    The correct answer to OP's question is:
    "Get a Red one"

Peace - Deeve
    jk

SonsOfMoog and 2blue2 like this.

12. Ronkirn

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL

Sure I do, I only pretend to know anything..... :p

the more welcoming a guitar is to the hands and the space between one's ears, the more one will play it and the better that playing will become.

to be certain that is absolutely correct... but it's psychological and has nothing to do with the functionality of the guitar and that too can be amended, by simply changing one's mind..

That "changing you mind" thing can take care of a looooooot of bunk that gets in your head and screws with being a guitarist...

Guys expend unimaginable $$$ and energy trying to "present" with the most desirable gear so other guitarists will respect 'em.. But think . . if you could have you choice.. and a Genie popped in and said you could have the most outrageously incredible guitar ever, but... you would never advance a bit as a musician, or you could play with the acumen, skill, and stage presence of a Jeff Beck, but only on royal POS guitars.. which would ya take?

r

13. Ronkirn

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    Hehehehe ... I just heard my detractors thinking, "Man, you got dat rite" so hard.. I heard it through my computer speakers... :lol:

Hey??? . . Old?? :p

and Gene's right.. the psychological factor is important as I have discussed at length multiple times in the past... You gotta like it, or there's only one other category.. it sux...

But i'm not really talking about that aspect here.. my point is if you can look at the guitar as the machine it is... it will help you get a lot of distracting minutiae into perspective...

we all have "quirks" we want to accommodate in whatever whatever ya wanna pursue.. I like Nikon Cameras, I don't give a rat'z bum about a Canon, but I still know a Canon is an excellent camera.. I like Berettas.. don't give a hoot about Rugers .. but I know Ruger makes a superb firearm...

I prefer Ebony fingerboards, I don't personally give a hoot about Maple or Rosewood... but.. sure 'nuff.. I know either can be and are now being used to make superb music... it's just that for me, I would want My Nikon made By Beretta with an Ebony Prism, otherwise I'm just never gonna meld with it... but I would want it "tuned" by BMW Motorsport division too... Probably be an interesting paperweight though.. :D

r

Last edited: May 16, 2018

14. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Holic

Oct 15, 2013
    East Texas
    Haha!
    I saw the first line of your post and couldn’t believe it! Ron wrong??? I came running in here to see for myself.

I should’ve known it was a joke :)

15. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI
    Swap pots n caps first before pickups, same tone shifting for 1/10th the price.

If you're not a solder slinger then look for loaded pickguards you can swap the whole bit at once.

16. The Ballzz

Apr 11, 2016
    Las Vegas, NV
    In the long run, much cheaperer and easierer to get some proper (not necessarily expensive) soldering tools, spend a little time practisin' and become a proper "solder slinger" yourself and have those skills for life!

And Ron, except for a couple killer deals that I bought to flip for profit, I've never spent more than $600-$700 on any guitar or other piece of gear, but if we totaled up the retail prices of what I've done to some of them, they be several thousand $$$$ guitars! I currently perform with simple, well set up guitars (designed in the '50s) through a designed in 1957 Tweed Deluxe and it don't get much better than that! :cool: Yeah, I've got a couple Marshalls that I like to "dabble" with on occasion, but............!:rolleyes: One of my favorite players is called "TORCHY!" He's an '04, Squier Affinity Strat that was purchased as a new scratch n dent for $40, to light on fire on stage and has since had the best set up imaginable, plays/sounds like a dream, along with it's melted plastics, torched finish and all! I defy anyone to knock this fully floating tremolo guitar out of tune, without touching the tuning machines! And even though the pickups are the cheapest of the cheapest ceramic magnet units anyone could find, they just sound absolutely glorious!

Please excuse me if some feel the next phrase is not "politically correct" but it's spot on:

"It Ain't The Arrows, It's The Indian!"
    Gene

17. Ronkirn

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    Nope... not gonna excuse ya.. I'm gonna praise ya... PC is supposed to propagate unoffensive speech... but, what if the act of Political Correctness is offensive? What of Us? :p

rk

18. The Ballzz

Apr 11, 2016
    Las Vegas, NV
    Wellsir,
    There's one thing we couldn't agree more upon! There is nothing much more "INCORRECT" than being "POLITICALLY CORRECT!" I call things as I see them and "If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck, looks like a duck, well ............!" And anyone who don't like it can "Kiss My Grits!"

GET OFF MY LAWN!
    Gene

19. qblue

qblue Tele-Afflicted

Jan 12, 2009
    Clarks Summit, PA
    There is literally no difference in the sound. Components may vary.

20. Gary in Boston

Gary in Boston Friend of Leo's

Apr 17, 2003
    WALTHAM MA

Parts of this post are, in many ways the way I feel if I can elaborate.

Most of, if not all the music we all seem to cherish was played on pretty much standard equipment.

Not rarified objects built by Tibetan monks in total silence with the help of wood nymphs from the essence of fine orchids.

Yes, an instrument has to inspire you in some way and the standard Telecaster has inspired millions of people.

I never buy the "best" (top of the line, most expensive, professional, collectors' series model).

I often buy what I like to call the Crown Prince model usually down a couple of steps from the King because you basically get all the goodness of any given model w/o all the pizza thrown in.

Les Paul Jr's and Telecasters are Crown Prince models. They don't get in the way, of the creative process or musicianship for me (imo).

There is a guy I know, a great, sweet guy who has some really great equipment.

Holy Grail amps, custom / historic reissue guitars etc etc etc. He plays......... OK.

Knows allot of music theory etc.

Everything but the muse of creative musical discovery.

I once told him, when he was in a reflective open mood wondering why something missing, to lock yourself in a closet with a Tele and a small amp and don't come out till you can play accurately and smoothly.

I don't know that he ever did but he is still a great, sweet guy.

I'm not saying I'm some incredible guitarist but I will go out on a limb and say I'm a curious and creative one and what I play I play with feeling.

For me I guess I like a little bit of a struggle, or a less is more approach.

Use a Les Paul Jr and then haul.

Use a "country" Telecaster in a blues number, in fact it works everywhere.

David Bowie once had this song lyric "The Bitter Comes Out Better On A Stolen Guitar" I think it's a great line when you think of a guitar inspiring someone.

And who wouldn't like to find some old Telecaster at a yard sale?

Not a collectable, rare animal but just some old Telecaster.

Maybe I'm just a romantic.

Gary

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.