Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Telecaster pickups on a Danelectro 56 Pro?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by david-rf, Oct 6, 2017.

Tags:
  1. david-rf

david-rf TDPRI Member

Aug 16, 2011
    Italy
    Hi there,
    I just bought a used Danelectro 56 Pro and I love it for the most part, but I can't really force myself to like the bridge pickup.

While the neck pickup is pretty cool, the bridge pickup is way to shrill and thin. At the cost of altering the nature of the guitar, I would like the bride pickup to sound more like a telecaster, while remaining in the realm of lipsticks. Is this possible? If it is, which pikcups would you recommend?

Also, I want to change the (mediocre) stock pots. Should I choose linear or audio pots?

Thanks a lot!

2. VintageSG

VintageSG Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Mar 31, 2016
    Huddersfield, UK
    Good luck finding stacking pots to fit. They do exist, if you look hard enough. What do you find mediocre about them?. The only issue I had with mine was the volume pots went crackly. Oh, my switch died too.
    I rewired mine with a Gibson type switch and single volume+tone using an audio taper 250K for the volume and a linear 250K for the tone. I can't remember what the cap value I used was, but it was a pull from a Tele, so whatever that is. Works well. It sounds different now the middle position is parallel and I don't get the volume kick any more, but it is so sweet....
    As to the pickup, there are alternative lipsticks out there. Before going down that route though, explore what the tone control can do for you and try tweaking the height. It may have been set too high.

3. david-rf

david-rf TDPRI Member

Aug 16, 2011
    Italy
    My model doesn't have stacking pots, but normal 500k (just checked) pots. I find the volume is very inconsistent (lowering from 100% to about 50% is pretty linear, then it quickly lowers to almost zero) and the tone has similar issues too (almost no change from 100% to 40% then it closes down big time).

4. Commodore 64

Commodore 64 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 1, 2010
    Kent, OH
    I rewired mine like a tele and installed P90s. I also hated the concentric pot deal.

You can start there, 3 way toggle switch and 250k pots.

Use the same pickups. And then you can look at some replacement lipsticks like GFS or others.

5. david-rf

david-rf TDPRI Member

Aug 16, 2011
    Italy
    P90s on a Danelectro? How do they sound?

6. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Tele-Holic

Jul 2, 2015
    PNW USA
    My suggestion is, try a lipstick humbucker in the bridge. You should get a fatter tone. Maybe do both pickups?

There are inexpensive HB lipsticks, I got one on sale for $26 from Eden Guitars. SD makes one for about $70, it's probably hotter. I love the Eden one I got for my Eastwood baritone.

Re: P-90s... on my baritone, the original P-90 remains in the neck position, and the two pickups sound great together, made the middle position more usable, for me anyway.

Good luck—I love Danelectros!

7. Commodore 64

Commodore 64 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 1, 2010
    Kent, OH

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.