Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Telecaster neck pickup BRASS cover

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by parademe, Aug 9, 2018.

1. parademe

parademe Tele-Meister

Feb 7, 2013
    Berlin, Germany
    Hi all.

What's up with those tone sucking, muffled sounding covers? Where have they gone to? Where are they hiding? Who's hoarding them?

I want a traditional brass cover for my PV 64 neck pickup (yup, really) but can't find a decent one...

So far I've checked everyone from mojotone to Darren Riley and StewMac. Either the brass covers are sold out or look suspiciously close to the Chinese ones on eBay. Also, while the nickel silver ones are explicitly "made in the US", the brass ones are not (that's where the aforementioned suspicion comes from).

So I tried the Chinese covers. Got them via eBay from three different sellers (one came all the way from Kyrgyzstan, another one from HongKong...) but they seem to be either made in the same factory or at least on the same type of machine. Problem with them is, they are a bit more than a millimeter short compared to the original Fender nickel silver covers (wideness, measured from left to right if you have the pickup in front of you). That leaves an ugly crack left and/or right when fitting the pickguard (original Fender) over the body mounted pickup. Not nice. Even though no one would notice that but me... well, you know how ocd'ish we could get if its gear related.

So. Question. Does anyone know, where to get an accurately sized US-made (my personal mojo weakness) brass cover for a neck pickup?
    And why are they so hard to come by?

2. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's

Oct 12, 2010
    Kentucky, USA
    Did you try Philadelphia Luthier Supply?

3. parademe

parademe Tele-Meister

Feb 7, 2013
    Berlin, Germany
    Always my no. 1. But they don't even offer a cover made of brass.
    Thanks though.

Bruxist likes this.

4. YoGeorge

YoGeorge Tele-Afflicted

Mar 16, 2003
    Michigan
    Would Seymour Duncan sell you any? Or buy some used (or dead) Duncan neck pickups, take off the covers, replace with nickel silver, and sell them as "improved"...

Golem likes this.

5. parademe

parademe Tele-Meister

Feb 7, 2013
    Berlin, Germany
    Thought about the "improved" method of buying/swapping/selling. That's plan B, if I really can't find any.

I just sent SD an email. Let's see.

6. parademe

parademe Tele-Meister

Feb 7, 2013
    Berlin, Germany
    OK, Seymour is not an option: "We do not sell Tele pickup covers as aftermarket items.
    You may want to try Stewmac.com or allparts.com, or another parts supplier for those."

Pretty quick over-the-pond-response... Great customer support.

But as mentioned: Stewmac nickel silver only, AllParts out of stock.

7. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

Dec 6, 2015
    Wisconsin
    I wonder where Duncan gets them? I doubt they're making them.

8. parademe

parademe Tele-Meister

Feb 7, 2013
    Berlin, Germany
    I would have asked them about the exact dimensions if they were willing to sell them. Because I thought so too; they at least look like the Chinese ones. No bad assumption here, though.

9. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

Dec 6, 2015
    Wisconsin
    What's the dimension you're looking for, and what dimension are the Chinese covers?
    I'm curious, because I have a Duncan neck pickup, though it's old enough to not necessarily reflect what they're using now.

10. parademe

parademe Tele-Meister

Feb 7, 2013
    Berlin, Germany
    Chinese one:

15338332255631033676253.jpg

Fender nickel silver:

1533833302309480433055.jpg

So basically the length (wideness?) of the Fender cover is what I'm looking for.

(Low drum roll to raise tension: ) How wide's the SD cover?

11. Mincer

Mincer Tele-Meister

Dec 19, 2017
    Tampa Bay Area
    This might have the Seymour Duncan measurements you are looking for.

12. LtKojak

LtKojak Tele-Meister

Sep 10, 2013
    Milano, Italy

13. parademe

parademe Tele-Meister

Feb 7, 2013
    Berlin, Germany
    So the Duncan spec-sheet for the STR-1 says 2.564 inches. Which seems to leave a gap between cover and guard.
    But otoh - I never heard anyone complaining about this. It might be just my obsession.

Covers by Axesrus sport the same specs as the Chinese do - which is not really surprising at that price point.

The cover by WD Music seems to be the closest to Fender dimensions (just half a millimeter off). But... 20$ + 49$ for shipping to europe? Idk.

14. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 18, 2010
    on my bike
    Someone from SD is a member here. Does anyone remember him?

15. CFFF

CFFF Tele-Meister

Oct 31, 2016
    With a dimension so close would it not be possible to reshape, stretch the cover to our requirements?

16. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Tele-Afflicted

Jun 18, 2009
    Hogtown,KY.
    I personally don't care for the brass covers. Too muffled sounding.
    Hard to believe you can't find one though.

Good luck in the hunt. :cool:

17. parademe

parademe Tele-Meister

Feb 7, 2013
    Berlin, Germany
    Still in the hunt... I contacted FMIC because I thought - or read somewhere - that the Custom Shop 51 Nocaster neck pickup had a brass cover.

This is not the case: A very friendly employee at Fender told me that there's no pickup set with a brass cover.

Oh well. And on it goes...
    (I guess that eventually I'll find out that the original brass covers ARE less wide than the current nickel silver covers.)

18. CFFF

CFFF Tele-Meister

Oct 31, 2016
    Try putting some brass or copper foil inside a Fender nickel silver cover.

19. parademe

parademe Tele-Meister

Feb 7, 2013
    Berlin, Germany
    I'm using one of the Chinese/Kyrgyz brass covers for now, thanks. Also it's more about finding a brass cover with Fender dimensions.

I mean, there are companies, that reproduce pio caps exactly the way they used to be made, only using US parts/components. A whole lot of love for details where you can't even see/hear it. But a period correct pickup cover? Really? Is it that hard??

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.