Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Telecaster music/COUNTRY CONTENT!!

Discussion in 'Twanger Central' started by telesavant, Mar 2, 2008.

1. porgy

porgy Tele-Meister

Feb 3, 2009
    marion IL
    Telesavant.... Bess told me to ask! You got a lot of feedback here. I may have missed something, but is there an actual steel in your recordings, or is it all just Tele, and if so, I can't say just, just!

2. Thanks for listening Porgy!! Feel free to tell Bess.... there is absolutely NO steel guitar on any of the tracks posted....Just Telecaster.

Pauly

3. TelecasterSam

TelecasterSam Tele-Holic

Apr 25, 2003
    Indiana
    Thanks for posting it. I love that stuff!!!! By the way, I've just decided to become a rhythm player!! Great playing!

4. Glad you liked the tunes TelecasterSam!! Thanks for listening!!

5. As threatened and per request: Here are some of the licks used in these tunes. I jotted them down quickly on these vids and though unexplained, this will make clear the simplicity of these Tele licks. The two harmonic runs #24 and 26 appear the same at speed, though in fact one is ascending and one descending. Hope they sound ok, I was using a Pro Junior at a relatively low volume.

Thanks for all the support,
    Pauly

www.viddler.com/explore/paulmcewen/videos/22/?
    www.viddler.com/explore/paulmcewen/videos/27/?
    www.viddler.com/explore/paulmcewen/videos/25/?
    www.viddler.com/explore/paulmcewen/videos/24/?
    www.viddler.com/explore/paulmcewen/videos/26/?
    www.viddler.com/explore/paulmcewen/videos/23/?

www.myspace.com/paulmcewen

6. psychotelepathic

psychotelepathic Tele-Holic

Dec 6, 2005
    Minneapolis
    Awesome playing...these links did not work though. I hope you get these posted, would love to pick up a few tricks!

7. Thanks for your response psycotelepathic: Sorry about the link...had them set on private. They appear to work now.

Here they are again:

www.viddler.com/explore/PaulMcEwen/videos/22/
    www.viddler.com/explore/PaulMcEwen/videos/27/
    www.viddler.com/explore/PaulMcEwen/videos/25/
    www.viddler.com/explore/PaulMcEwen/videos/24/
    www.viddler.com/explore/PaulMcEwen/videos/26/
    www.viddler.com/explore/PaulMcEwen/videos/23/

www.myspace.com/paulmcewen

8. NEPATelecaster

NEPATelecaster Tele-Afflicted

Jan 30, 2006
    Lovelton PA
    ?!?!?!?!?

VEEEEERY NIIIIICE... I can pictured you (don't know what you look like) Lounging back playing #7...

Me Likey...

9. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 17, 2003
    Charlotte NC
    So where's the CD already ? Paul, I seem to recall that you were one of the first in the "area" back then playing thru some sort of Boogie, were you not ? For some reason or another I am thinking that one of the last times I saw you you had a Mark III or something like that and I was blown away, am I right ? Or am I in a fog ?

I put a link to your MySpace page over on the Steel Guitar forum, they always like a good Tele' boy over there. By the way I spoke with Ray Gantek last year sometime, he is in Florida , still playing local Opry's and sweating !

t

10. Thanks for listening Psycotelepathic, and NEPATelecaster...glad you liked the tunes!!

Hi Tony: Thanks for the great post in the Steel Guitar Forum!! The CD is coming along. OBS is almost done, and Oklohoma Stomp, Faded Love, Panhandle Rag are done and ready to be done over!!

Yes, I can't deny it.... that was me with the Boogies...a pair of hardwood MK ll B's. You probably saw me at either the Tin Whistle, Gorlo's, Skipper's, Frog Pond, Country Comfort, Cloverleaf, Oldgate Saloon or Georgetown Saloon with either Lost Highway or the Smokey Boys.

Tell Ray Hi for me If you talk again....Thanks again for the support!!

11. T Prior

Mar 17, 2003
    Charlotte NC
    Yes the Oldgate Saloon with Lost Highway, real nice band back then. The Oldgate his one of my favorite band stories now ! I knew it was you with those awesome Boogies, the rest of us were still packin' Twins, we didn't grow up yet !

Oldgate story...

He hired us to play 5 weekends, we cut him a great deal, on the last weekend , you know the 5th one, the end of the deal, he told me we were not cutting it, this was Friday night, unknown to him we had a wedding booked sat afternoon and had to pack up the gear that night, so we sat and talked about how crappy we were and I just said ok, why don't we just pack up and leave tonight as I don't want to drag down your business , he agreed. Then later when we were packing up it occurred to him that maybe he didn't have a band for Sat night so he came to me after we were just about packed up and asked me to come stay, I said we could but not for the same pay, as we were already packed and ready to leave . I threw a huge number at him and he threw me out ! I actually think the lead singer for Lost Hwy was there ( don't remember his name) but I remember he was hanging with us on breaks , he may have even sat in and sang a few, not sure. I think you guys came on Sat night..Small world ! I'll never forget that guys face when I threw him that huge price to come back sat night. It was even better when he asked me to leave and never come back ! Our band was just outside the door listening and could hardly contain there laughing frenzy. By the way, our front singer back then Bonnie, is my wife. We sure had a lot of fun with this story. Our bands name was Aimin' To Please, taken from the Mary Kay Place Country record that she did, the owner put our name in the paper as " The Country Fritters" What a goof ! Believe it or not we still have that Newspaper clipping !

Oh and If I speak with Ray I will for sure say hey.

tony

Last edited: Mar 26, 2009

12. Here they are....as you can see I have a soft spot for Boogies!! The two left top are the MK-llBs you remember.... and some MK-ls to boot!! They are all custom made for me with EVM 15Ls in the standard width, short chassis cabs. The ext. cabs are closed or open back.

Do share your Oldgate story about Al and his lovely wife Dee!!

Pauly

Attached Files:

13. T Prior

Mar 17, 2003
    Charlotte NC
    Good grief, great amps, I am more amazed that you still have that first pair !

Al and Dee..yeh..I wrote the story above, I can never forget Al and Dee although I did forget there names !

Just way too much fun for mankind !

t

14. Too Funny Tony!! Al appeared nice but he was a scheming oaf!! When I left Lost Highway...I went back to get some of my P.A. equipment the next week, as we left the P.A. set up from week to week if we were to return, and Al wanted to play me in Liars Poker for my share of the P.A. system....a true piece of work....Oh, did I mention Al would play patrons all week at the bar and cheat them out of oodles of dough!! By the way our singers name was Mike Lovegrove....He hung out there and would tell us of Al's cheating prowess....that's probably why he was there when Al stuck it to you and your band. I can't imagine him telling your band anything as ridiculous....I saw your band at Lake Compounce and it was great!!

'til next time, Pauly

15. T Prior

Mar 17, 2003
    Charlotte NC
    Liars Poker now that is funny !

Lake Compounce , isn't that Hershey Park now ? We played there a few times , I think once we had Dave Pierce on Steel with us, man he was over the top, a Bluegrasser on Steel, I couldn't keep up with him , other times I think it was after our band broke up , Bonnie and I were playing with longtime friend ( still friends) Fred Roose. Wow what a look back into time this is.

Speaking of Hershey Park, or Lake Compounce, one of my close friends is an electrician there, right now ! He was just down here visiting maybe a month ago!

I better go to bed now before the sky falls on me !

We must have run into each other way more than I thought, and yes, Mike, he was a great singer, whats he up to now ?

Did I tell you, Bonnie and I lived next door to Ray in the Trailer park in Westport for almost a year, now there are some more stories!

Love those amps !

tp

Last edited: Mar 27, 2009

16. Scooter D

Scooter D TDPRI Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Blaine, MN.
    Unbelievable stuff!

Being a long time guitarist, but recent Tele owner... I realize now, I GOT A LOOOOOONG way to go if I wanna sport some sweet Tele chops (at most, "approaching" anything THAT cool).

Spectacular playing!!! ...And thanks for the tabs and vids! Taking time to do that is GREATLY appreciated. You're a saint!

...Back to the woodshed (tail between legs...LOL)!

17. Thanks for listening to my tunes Scooter D.....Glad you liked them!!

"Smoke and Mirrors" is a rule of thumb that seems to work for me in Tele playing. If it's not easy...I don't play it.

Any assistance needed with any of these licks....feel free to PM me....maybe someday you can show them back to me!!

Thanks again, Pauly

18. KTdid

KTdid TDPRI Member

Jun 14, 2008
    Simpletown USA
    Thanks for the vids! They really clear up those tabs! Though I still will probably end up smashing my guitar!! haha

19. robinr

robinr TDPRI Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Michigan
    Thats just some plain old kicking picking! Awesome! ;)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.