Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Telecaster Humidipak questions

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by beninma, Nov 14, 2017.

1. beninma

beninma Tele-Meister

Mar 17, 2017
    Massachusetts
    Just curious, I am doing my "winter adjustments."

In the past week or so I turned the dehumidifier off, turned the furnace humidifier on.

I have 3 little digital hygrometers, one for my acoustic's case, one for my Tele's case, one for the house in general. They are all the same model and I've been able to verify they are within 1-2% of each other.

I keep stuff in the finished/heated basement. Amazingly I'm only at 35% humidity in the basement as soon as the temperature plunged. We have an Aprilaire unit attached to our furnace, it is keeping the upper floors in the low 40s which is just about perfect IMO. We did have one night/day the temps dropped to around 20F already, and the humidity in the house went down to the mid 30s. Before the onset of winter weather the basement was right at 45% due to having a beefy dehumidifier running with a continuous drain. I had superb stability out of both my guitars all spring/summer/fall.

Anyway, seeing these 30-35% readings in the case I just got 2 of the D'addario 2-way humipak systems and installed them following the directions. One caveat, some of the packets froze in transit (ordered them online). Can this break them? They didn't leak.

What I am seeing is my Acoustic (a Taylor in a Taylor case) the humidpak stabilized the humidity within 24 hours in the 40-45% range. Perfect.

But my Telecaster after nearly 3 days has not budget at all. It's still at 35%. I actually brought the guitar upstairs this morning to take it out today, opened the case, and watched the humidity reading climb while the case was open!

Could I have some bum humidipaks? Or something weird with the Case for the Tele? (It's a Gator ATA plastic case, pretty nice case overall) Or just something different about the way a solid body guitar responds vs an acoustic? My Tele is a MIM with a thick finish obviously. It's possible it was dry from before I bought it, but it was stored at 45% humidity for 6+ months so I wouldn't expect it to be chronically dry. (It shows no signs of being dry either.)

I swapped the hygrometer out of the Tele case to check if it was the hygrometer and it's not that, the other one showed exactly the same reading.

2. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Friend of Leo's

May 14, 2008
    Marion, NC
    I have owned acoustics and electrics for years.

I have never used a humidifier for my electric guitars - and never had a problem with humidity.

I have used humidifiers for my acoustic guitars, since the body panels are separate pieces of wood, and much more susceptible to warping.

My $.02.

DrPepper and howlin like this.

3. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 10, 2010
    Certain uncertainty
    Humipaks if they are anything like the Boveda cigar ones are just sodium chloride in a permeable membrane, never tried the guitar ones, my philosophy is that if you are comfortable, so are your guitars. Of course, my instruments are not the collectible/valuable type, but I use them a lot.

4. qblue

qblue Tele-Afflicted

Jan 12, 2009
    Clarks Summit, PA
    I don't use a humidor or hygrometer with a tele as it is encased in poly finish. yes, even the neck on maple boards are covered in this stuff. Don't sweat the small stuff.

howlin likes this.

5. luckett

luckett Tele-Afflicted

Jun 14, 2011
    Why do you think your Tele prefers 40%-45% humidity over 30%-35% humidity?

6. UlyssesRussell

UlyssesRussell NEW MEMBER!

Dec 7, 2017
    USA
    Have you consulted a professional? You may also try digital humidifiers as these help them set their desired temperatures. Search for furnace repair service near me and you will find many listed companies to consult your problem.

7. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Meister

Nov 24, 2017
    Texas
    I fuss about my acoustics, but my Telecaster only sees the inside of a case during transit.

8. PearlJamNoCode

PearlJamNoCode TDPRI Member

May 26, 2017
    Philadelphia
    This really doesn't matter for electrics. They're encased in plastic.

Acoustics, this might matter, especiall if they are solid wood.

9. beninma

beninma Tele-Meister

Mar 17, 2017
    Massachusetts
    Interesting my thread rose from the dead.

I think what might be going on is the cases needed to be humidified too and they've taken a lot of the humidity out of the packs in the process.

I agree the electric guitar seems less sensitive than acoustic but IME after a month or so now these are very worth having in the case for the Telecaster too. You can easily tell they're working because the tuning doesn't really drift at all with the Humidipaks in the case.

Hey Sprouted frets on a Tele would be just as annoying IMO as they would be on an acoustic, though I agree a belly bulge or a crack in an acoustic would worse.

Now I'm just trying to figure out when they packs need to be replaced. For both guitars the packs that I put in the body compartment of the cases are seemingly drying out faster than the ones in the headstock area of the case.

I've had my Telecaster sitting under my desk at work 2 days this week, the humidity was 15% in the office Tuesday, it was NOT comfortable for humans, so why not humidify the case, I was sorely wishing I could humidify myself.

10. Wrighty

Wrighty Tele-Meister

Aug 17, 2013
    Essex UK
    Just for those who don't know, and not intending to patronise, sodium chhloride = salt

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.