Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Telecaster Custom II - intonation issue

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by MadMaxie75, Jun 2, 2018.

1. MadMaxie75

MadMaxie75 TDPRI Member

Jun 27, 2017
    Melbourne, Australia
    Hi,
    Wondering if someone could help me please? I recently purchased a used (barely!) Squier Tele Custom II. I put on a new set of my preferred strings and set about adjusting the intonation. I got them all perfect, except the low E string. I've lengthened it as far back as I can and it's still sharp at the 12th fret. Maddening!
    So, I figure it could be one of two things. The pickup height, but that seems good to me and there is no issue with the A string. Or the string itself is bad. They're D'Addario XL's and this would be the first time I've had a problem with them in 20 years! Again no problem with the other five strings.
    Anybody had this problem before?

Thanks!

Max

2. jondanger

jondanger Friend of Leo's

Jan 27, 2011
    Charm City, MD
    What is the saddle height like? You might be able to get there shimming the neck and raising the saddles, depending on what the action is like now.

3. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Could be the cut of the nut, but sounds weird that you have the saddle all the way back and she's still sharp.

Is it really bad? I mean, can you really hear it's off in your actual playing and not just see it's sharp when intonating/testing?

Also, was it perfectly intonated BEFORE you changed strings, and did you use the same gauge?

4. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    Try lowering the bass side of the neck pickup a bit.

5. bendercaster

bendercaster Tele-Holic

Sep 20, 2011
    Sacramento
    What does your action look like? If you can, lowering the Low E saddle might help.

6. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    Are you putting it on the bridge pickup to check tuning and intonation? Those Duncan Designed' pickups if it's the yellow Squier with P90s they're very hot. You can get overtones from them while tuning, can also help backing off volume. Try backing the string all the way off - you can also slip the string off and turn the saddle around on most tuneamatic bridges. Gives you a bit more adjustment.

Mincer likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.