Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Telecaster Custom II - build quality?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by MadMaxie75, May 4, 2018.

1. MadMaxie75

MadMaxie75 TDPRI Member

Jun 27, 2017
    Melbourne, Australia
    Hi All,
    I am thinking of pulling the trigger on a very tidy used Telecaster Custom II. Will probably use it as spare gigging / project guitar and change the pups and upgrade the pots / wiring etc over time. However, I just have a few qualms around build quality. There seem to be mixed reports on the Agathis wood used for the body and I guess that buying a Squier as opposed to a Fender you are get sub standard materials all round. Is this a poor investment - should I hang out for a used MIM or MIJ and pimp one of those to my preferences?

Appreciate your thoughts Tele dudes!

cheers

Max

Fiesta Red likes this.

2. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

Jan 17, 2010
    Decatur, GA
    I had the humbucker version and it was my #1 for about a year. Plays great, satin-finished neck is nice. I only traded it to get the Squier Jazzmaster that is my #1 now.

I'd still like to get the P90 version. Someday.

And the only thing 'wrong' with agathis is that it has a dull grain pattern. That's why agathis guitars are usually painted a solid color.

Last edited: May 4, 2018

3. MadMaxie75

MadMaxie75 TDPRI Member

Jun 27, 2017
    Melbourne, Australia

4. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Tele-Afflicted

This is the version I really want. Passed up on it before, now I cant find one. neck is nice and fattish,

Fearnot likes this.

5. Whoa Tele

Whoa Tele Tele-Afflicted

Mar 20, 2009
    Smyrna Ga.
    The ends of the frets were a little sharp on mine but it only cost me about 225 bucks brand new. I had a buddy paint mine fiesta red.

Fiesta Red likes this.

6. NICQ

NICQ Tele-Meister

May 15, 2017
    Vienna/Austria
    I had two of them over the years and the build quality was good - no complaints
    I changed the wiring, pots and pickups at some point and eventually sold them - kept one of the necks though
    Neck is 7.25", very nice slightly fuller C-profile with satin finish
    The bodies have quite a thick poly finish/primer - I stripped one and yes the wood underneath did not look too pretty and was made from 3-4 parts but tbh I didn't notice any of that before

7. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    I bet in a blindfold test you wouldn't be able to tell if a guitar was made with agathis wood or swamp ash!

8. adamkoop

adamkoop Tele-Meister

Feb 18, 2016
    Halifax
    I had one with P90s, it was killer. regret selling it, actually.

The difference between squier and fender is pretty trivial these days, unless you go to the extremes. Entry level squier will be notably worse than high end fender, but the mid range and high end squier (like these custom II are), I'd put up against the MIM and mid range american stuff all day for all practical purposes.

I bought a squier jazzmaster after playing a fender one a few times. the squier was 600 less than the fender, but from where I was sitting, I couldn't find 600 dollars worth of "better" in the fender.

9. 9fears08

9fears08 Tele-Meister

Jul 6, 2016
    Bristol, UK
    Mine’s served me well for ~10 years and was my go to guitar for most of that time.

For the £160 I paid for it from new I thought it was cracking quality at the time.

Neck and frets on mine are fine. Tuners do a very solid job. Pickups are my favourites (some aren’t so keen).

Main issues with mine are the pots aren’t fantastic and have been scratchy at times. I generally used mine on full or off so not a biggy for me.

The jack plate on mine also worked its way loose over the years as it’s only kept in place by pressure. I replaced it with a screw on plate one which initially caused a problem with the jack socket touching the shielding in the cavity when a jack was plugged in so only got noise out. Repositioned so it no longer touched and all good.

Biggest reason I’m not so keen on mine these days is it’s quite heavy particularly compared to my Patrick Eggle New York Standard so with a humbucker sized P90 installed in the bridge the Eggle’s reluctantly now become my go to axe.

Problems aside, if you can get one for a reasonable price I’d go for it!

Hope that helps..

BoogerRooger likes this.

10. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Holic

Jul 7, 2014
    Belgium
    The necks are great. I was convinced It was 9.5" until I got me a set of gauges to measure it.

Especially the dual P90 is fantastic soundwise, which made me buy both colours. The dual humbucker took some time for me to adjust to, but now it's my favourite dual humbucker guitar. (don't have the new contemporary series yet).

It was the P90 that made buy buy a Fender Modern Player thinline and a Fender Jim Adkins-model, both of which are great too...

Fiesta Red and 9fears08 like this.

11. MadMaxie75

MadMaxie75 TDPRI Member

Jun 27, 2017
    Melbourne, Australia
    Thanks everyone. Very helpful, should pick her up Wednesday. Then I can have fun muod times. Think a pair of Lollar P90s, new pots and wiring, maybe tuners if needed. Can't wait!

12. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    I had the one with humbuckers. The frets were pretty bad and took a lot of work to level them and smooth all the razor ends. I found the neck too thin and the guitar was pretty heavy at 8.8lbs. I sold it for $150 and the guy that bought it tried to resell it for more and had it listed for a really long time.... it was $199 new. I don't miss it, always wish I had bought the P-90 version.

13. 9fears08

9fears08 Tele-Meister

Jul 6, 2016
    Bristol, UK
    If you’re not doing anything with them and the shipping costs to the UK aren’t too much of a stinger I might be interested in buying the Duncan Designs off you..if you’re interested..?

nicod98 likes this.

14. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Holic

Jul 7, 2014
    Belgium
    ^^^ Great idea! Those pickups are like gold dust if you try to find them (new OR used), and they are pretty good!

15. MonkeyJefferson

MonkeyJefferson Tele-Meister

Oct 26, 2010
    Nonurbana
    Those stock pickups are so great. I’d put new Lollars in something new, and let those Duncan Designed masterpieces stay in their little Jakarta homes. Seriously, try them first before spending a cent on different P90’s!!!!

MadMaxie75 likes this.

16. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    Is this the yellow with black scratchplate and 'Seymour Duncan designed' P90-type pickups?

A bandmate had one, very decent guitar. I did a bit of work on it. Neck is fairly chunky although not I"d say, Nocaster baseball bat, witha 9" or 10" radius and medium jumbo type frets that seem to last. Poly satin finish that's pretty comfortable to play.

Hot ceramic pickups that don't sound bad at all.

Agathis is not as soft as basswood, about the same as some ash. Super glue will fix any threaded screwholes. The poly finish does a good job of protection. His still looks fairly new after a lot of usage.

Not a bad guitar, new pots and switch, maybe swap out the ceramic magnets for alnico, pretty smooth axe for allround use.

17. MadMaxie75

MadMaxie75 TDPRI Member

Jun 27, 2017
    Melbourne, Australia
    These PuP's are popular. Had no idea! Think i will play them first and see......

MonkeyJefferson and BoogerRooger like this.

18. BoogerRooger

BoogerRooger Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 3, 2009
    Suffolk Coast
    They can seem a bit hot after tele pickups but they respond well to the volume controls. Worth a try!

19. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Holic

Jul 7, 2014
    Belgium
    The fact that they are so hot make them an attractive addition to the collection. They are hot, but still very different from humvuckers. I like them a lot.

BoogerRooger likes this.

20. MonkeyJefferson

MonkeyJefferson Tele-Meister

Oct 26, 2010
    Nonurbana
    I find the bridge sound on mine very usable for country twanginess- it's no broadcaster, but you still get the you-know-what on your boots when you dial it in. I ADORE the fingerpicking jazz tone I get out of mine, as well. I have a few guitars that are WAY more expensive, but they ain't this! The chunky neck, which I usually don't like, feels very comfy to me, too. Changing the pots is, or will be, a must at some point. Mine crackle like a SW radio, but I haven't gigged it in a few years, and I like the notion it's all still stock....

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.