Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

telecaster action

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by vishnu, Nov 8, 2018.

1. vishnu

vishnu Tele-Meister

Jun 5, 2011
    scotland
    wots yer action specs and your pick up distance spec set to?

2. thatkeithmorris

thatkeithmorris TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Sep 19, 2013
    Carlisle, UK
    Neck relief so you can only just get a hint of movement when you tap the string (clamped at 1st and 12th frets.

Action at 1st fret ditto (except for the clamping bit).

Action at the 17th fret is 0.062” (I’m in the UK but I have a very old feeler gauge).

Pickups adjusted using the 1 nickel on high E and 2 nickels on low E method (I’m in the UK so I had to make a special trip to get the nickels).

8barlouie likes this.
  3. GuitarKid

GuitarKid Tele-Meister

Nov 29, 2013
    Here
    Action at 12th fret without pressing strings:
    Low E: 2mm
    High E: 1.5mm

Pìckups:
    Neck (bass side): 5mm from low E; (treble side) 4mm from high E
    Bridge: (bass side): 6mm from low E; (treble side): 4mm from high E

Neck relief: the most imperceptible, almost zero.

4. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Holic

Nov 24, 2017
    Texas
    I don't deal with measurements, like my string height high at the bridge. I set my pickup height by ear. And, do whatever it takes to get the action low over the frets...
    I also go over the fret with 2000 grit sandpaper.

Evil Funk likes this.
  5. brogh

brogh Assistant Admin Staff Member

Jun 26, 2010
    italy
    Admin Post
    when i get a new guitar, obviously fresh strings, i do not no measurements, i did but i'm using this method since some time
    • i set the neck with some very little relief
    • tune
    • set saddles height on 1 and 6 string until there's no buzz
    • tune
    • put the fret board radius thinghie under the strings and raise the other strings accordignly until they match the radius
    • tune
    • check all strings and frets for buzz, but unless you have a very worn frets here and there you're almost ok here, but some slight adjustments might be needed
    • tune
    • intonation setup and here it takes a while.....
    let it sit for a day and recheck and eventually adjust.

i set pickups by ear, actually you can hear the string "flutter" if the pickups are too near, balance is what you're usually after

set the neck pickup height
    set the bridge pickup height

play it for a while and eventually do small raise/lower based on the tone you're after

When i restring i do some checks but most of the time it stays pretty there, some minor adjustments are needed maybe if your neck moves a lot.

Take a Saturday afternoon off and a good beer, and go trough it with patience :)

jimilee and Evil Funk like this.
  6. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    eallen, tery and Chicago Matt like this.
  7. brogh

Jun 26, 2010
    italy
    Admin Post
    :eek: wow what an honor from the master ! ;)

tery likes this.
  8. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

May 9, 2015
    Seekonk, MA
    .012 relief
    5/64 E
    4/64 e

Pickups vary greatly depending on magnet strength. Play it by ear.

9. heltershelton

heltershelton Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Sep 14, 2016
    not houston
    i dont know the measurements, but heres a pic.
    IMG_20181003_103705.jpg

10. brogh

Jun 26, 2010
    italy
    Admin Post
    isn't that neck pickup a little bit too low ?

what do you have there under the bonnet ?

11. heltershelton

Sep 14, 2016
    not houston
    maybe....its my first tele so im still learninglearning how to adjust the pickups. i might raise it to see if its better, but it sounds fine to me.
    these are quarter pounders. so they are really hot.

12. brogh

Jun 26, 2010
    italy
    Admin Post
    uh, yup probably, the important thing is that you like how it sounds :)

13. heltershelton

Sep 14, 2016
    not houston
    im building another with the sd hot for tele set. i like sd pickups....can you tell, lol?
    the pickups on all my strats are pretty low also.
    i will say the neck pickup on this tele is slightly dark....do you think raising it might brighten it a little? im using 250k pots.

brogh likes this.
  14. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    a word about raising JM or any Alnico post pickup.. get it too close and the magnets act as a damper first, diminishing sustain.... next they can pull the strings vibrations into an asymmetrical wave, creating what Kinman calls Stratitus... it sounds like horrible intonation, and it cannot be corrected by adjusting the saddles..

about a strong 1/8th is as close as you would want to have 'em... but the stronger the magnet, the further away you wull need to set 'em.

rk

brogh and heltershelton like this.
  15. brogh

Jun 26, 2010
    italy
    Admin Post
    usually both pickups are slanted, the pickup is lower on the low e side, the measurements fender gives are a very good starting point, but it really depends on what kind of pickups you have there.

usually rising it clears up quite a while, but you can eventually go with a 500 k pot

lower strings have much more energy than the top three, that's why you set an inclination, raise the higher e side, you need to get the same volume from the lower and the top e the other strings should fall in place, that should also get quite some darkness away

if you like it how it is take a caliper and measure the distance between the cover and the bottom of the e string strings and make a note, screwdriver, and take quarter turns at the time.

this is one way of getting it the nearest possible, i use it all the time, once the string is no more magnetic, you know that you can't go higher, just lower, i lower them somewhat until i'm happy with the balance, it's not a method, it's a starting point

heltershelton likes this.
  16. sothoth

sothoth Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

Nov 24, 2010
    Kepler-186f
    Most of these starting points are just that. Depending on pickup output and the tone you like, and whether your neck has high spots etc, you may find that the initial setup needs to be tweaked. Also action is a matter of preference and playing style. And your nut may need to be adjusted based on the type of string you use particularly of you go heavier or lighter than 10s. Don’t feel trapped by some “correct” formula.

nopicknick likes this.
  17. nopicknick

nopicknick Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Mar 4, 2012
    Alabama
    Agreed!

18. eallen

eallen Tele-Afflicted

PhatBoy likes this.
  19. Heavy Tele

Heavy Tele TDPRI Member

Nov 5, 2018
    Australia
    Where do the strings get their energy from?
    The impact/force delivered from the player's fingers or pick.

20. ricardo1912

ricardo1912 Tele-Afflicted

Jul 26, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Much as brogh has said, I set guitar action by feel; fairly low until it's comfortable. Eyeball the bridge saddles and set the pickup height by ear. It's all very personal - what one person likes may be almost unplayable for someone else.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.