Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Telecaster 1973 Original?

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by Cser, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    78_tele_fade.jpg

Nup. If you'd owned a 70's, the stearate grain sealer they used on the ash is like plastic under the paint. My 78 around the top bout the paint wore away and it looked exactly like that where your arm contacted and rubbed it. That's something that makes 70's/80's look very odd. They look white wherever there's no paint or it's worn off.

To me that looks exactly like mine in terms of stamps, bwb guard, neck, tuners allowing five years difference - that's the last of the hand routed bodies hence the chatter marks in the neck pocket. My 78 had those little Fender stickers all over it under the pickguard. They didn't match the serial number on mine either.

If you were going to fake a Tele you wouldn't pick 73 and you'd score the other bits to make it 'original' which would maximise value.

The '78 guitar, the 'router hump' from the early automated routers is very visible; there's no 'notch' like the 73 on the edge of the pocket - the top bout ends before the neck pocket, and the router created those rebates at the end of the neck pocket route, because unlike the manual router it couldn't create sharp turns.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
    hemmings likes this.

2. deejaid

deejaid TDPRI Member

Jun 23, 2011
    California
    I'm not close to a Telecaster expert like many here so I won't comment of the originality of the body or neck, but I have bought and sold many brass aftermarket parts. The brass parts became really popular in the late 70's until the early 80's, really only about 5 years or so. The bridge appears to be solid brass and could possibly be a Schecter or Stars Guitars bridge from the late 70's. The humbucker pickup is a Dimarzio but the pickup cover is an aftermarket brass piece as well. Dimarzio had aftermarket bodies, necks and even pickup covers made for them by other companies on the west coast like Charvel, Boogie Bodies, and Schecter. The pickup cover could very well be made by the same manufacturer of the bridge and installed at the same time.

I happen to like this kind of modded Tele, just my taste, but I know most like original examples. If you decide on a value and look to sell Cser, shoot me a message.

3. ecosse

ecosse Tele-Meister

Jul 24, 2011
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    .....seriously? Well planned fake?

hemmings likes this.

4. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2009
    Western Canada
    That's a nice guitar.... needs a little TLC, a wiring clean up and a good setup. Keep in mind that anything you take back to "original" is still a mod without the original parts, it won't return the guitar to original value.

Back in the 80's, many (if not most) 70's era telecasters got "upgrades" by their owners. This looks like a '73 that has a new bridge/saddles (should be a 3 pole ashtray bridge), a humbucker carved into the neck position, a new set of knobs (should be flat tops) and a new pick guard. All of those changes hurt the value, but they are normal and often expected changes for a guitar of this era.

Surprisingly... the bridge pickup, pots and 3 way could be original - that would be a bonus if they are.

IMO... the one thing I would do with this guitar (especially if the bridge pickup is original) is put a period correct bridge on it. Never underestimate the tonal difference a bridge can make on a Tele.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017

5. Cser

Cser TDPRI Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Vancouver
    Thanks so much! Will keep & play it..
    Best c

6. Ripradiant

Ripradiant Tele-Holic

Jul 31, 2014
    Alberta Canada
    I wonder why the headstock picture doesn't show the bullet ? If its a 70s custom it would look like this (I think)
    TeleCustom2.jpg

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017

7. milocj

milocj Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

Aug 21, 2005
    Michigan
    Its not a Custom. It has just been modified with a neck 'bucker so it has the regular Tele neck

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.