Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Telecaster 1973 Original?

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by Cser, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Holic

Feb 10, 2010
    Low Lands
    Actually I think it mat be an old Schaller pickup. Schaller used to make these pickups for the Kramer aluminum necks but also sold this pickup as an aftermarket replacement. The Schaller pickup is about equal in size to a regular HB

2. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    Can anyone here actually read that serial number??? I can't. I can read the SSN of a former owner very well....but that serial number is indecipherable, imho.

3. buddyboy

buddyboy Tele-Meister

That or a Bartolini. This things screams, "late 1970's"!

4. Cser

Cser TDPRI Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Vancouver
    Update:
    Rare information i could get from a relative (not pretty sure)..
    Tele 1972
    he is quite sure it is an oroginal humbucker or a replaced humbucker on the neck..not sure about other parts..

Attached Files:

5. warrent

warrent Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Sep 15, 2009
    toronto
    If its really a 72 it should have a date on the neck. the humbucker and bridge look right for common seventies mods. If the op would be so kind as to remove the strings unbolt the neck and show us pictures of the heel it would make things easier. pics from under the pickguard would help too.

6. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    W can definitely tell you the humbucker pickup, bridge plate (80's) and one or two other parts are not original.

I agree that pickup is like an EMG clone, there were a few epoxy hummers then.

Depending on screwholes made to mount the bridge, you could get a new pickguard, bridge, control plate and neck pickup and visually return it to stock.

Edit: I think the control plate may be original. In the newer pictures it looks chrome, if the switch and pots are intact that's good news too. Pictures of the pots would be good. Two screws and it comes out.

There may be an ink 'Natural' stamp in the neck route which would confirm the original natural finish. But unfortunately they were often in the pickup route which means it may be gone. Dating guitars by neckplate is a crapshoot. I'd expect the neckplate to be tarnished living in an attic especially in a temperate area. The brass is newer and doesn't tarnish as much but it all shows signs of age.

It'd be good to see under the pickguard and in all the routes.

As it is, I'd pay $1000 for it. With some period correct parts it'd be a $1500 private sale $2500 asking price in a shop all day long. Provided otherwise it's sound.

Rare and desirable finish, natural.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017

7. milocj

milocj Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Aug 21, 2005
    Michigan
    I can see that there appears to be no notch on the body, there's a gasket behind the neckplate, and there's the notch in the pickguard for adjusting the truss rod. That tells me its a real Fender pickguard, and a BWB guard with no notch and a gasket, plus no headstock serial number would mean its about a '76-77. Prime time for bridge and humbucker mods.

2 Headed Goat likes this.

8. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

That humbucker looks like the ones that shipped with these. Bill Lawrence designed.
    A few other Gibson (Norlin) guitars were also built with similar 'smooth' pickup styles.
    This guitar can sound like a Tele so migrating a pickup to a Tele would be easy.
    L6-S Customs were produced from 1973-1980.

[​IMG]

9. blue metalflake

blue metalflake Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 29, 2005
    ireland
    I think the serial number, neckplate gasket & no notch body places in early 73. All the mods are already noted v well. What is really needed is the neck off to see the stamps

10. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    72/73. Single string tree. The body
    I thought gasket was 70's. Black guards I thought came on pre-75 blonde and Natural and white on Custom and sunburst - thought it swapped over 76-77?. That body looks to me like it's pre-'router hump'. Notch was very variable that era.

11. 2 Headed Goat

2 Headed Goat Tele-Meister

Jul 28, 2012
    Here & Now
    I agree with milocj - I think its a mid 70's Fender Tele with stock natural finish and changed out hardware parts. I believe the S/N moving to the headstock occurred mid '76 so IMO its either a '75 or early '76. The upper contour (bass side) is rather flat and jives with this time period. Rosewood fingerboards as well as 3-ply black pick guards seemed more prevalent mid 70's as well. '76 was also the year Strats switched to having black pick guards.
    IMO, I put the value around $2k street value. Judging from the wide grain pattern of the ash I bet it's fairly light weight compared to many of the boat anchors of that era…

12. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

Jun 5, 2015
    Nashville
    If that guard is original they did a heck of a job cutting it for the 'bucker, looks perfectly straight/smooth in the photos. I've cut/sanded them to look pretty good, but never that good.

13. Ripradiant

Ripradiant Tele-Holic

Jul 31, 2014
    Alberta Canada
    Wow, there is some pretty high values put on this collection of parts.
    The wear just doesn't make sense -highly worn & weathered parts including neck plate while super glossy and untouched looking back of neck not to mention limited wear of body (even if refinished) -it just is not right. I think its a tele garage special.

Would like to see neck and body apart? Any pics?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017

14. Cser

Cser TDPRI Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Vancouver
    Neck and body apart...
    Some new numbers..
    ?

Attached Files:

15. Cser

Cser TDPRI Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Vancouver
    1 left

Attached Files:

16. Cser

Cser TDPRI Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Vancouver
    Thanks so much for opinions!
    Best c

dr_tom likes this.

17. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    Ok so switch is original. All the ink stamps are good. The pots, wiring and as you can now see the Dimarzio Humbucker are not original. You can see where the stock neck pickup mounted.

I think this is an original natural finish guitar. If you wanted to source a pickguard, bridge, pickup you could add maybe a grand to ultimate resale price as a player grade instrument. That's what a dealer or speculator would do. There's too much missing and changed to be truly collectible.

As I said, to me it's worth a bare grand as is without case.

18. blue metalflake

blue metalflake Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 29, 2005
    ireland
    Neck stamp week 35 of 1973 which ties in reasonably with serial number

19. Preacher

Preacher Tele-Afflicted

Apr 17, 2007
    Big D
    First off, all my aunt had in her attic were prom gowns from the late 50's, some kind of vibrating weight loss machine and forty boxes of nick, knack patty whacks give your dog a bone...

Wished she had some vintage guitars up there.

Secondly, beautiful guitar. If you are a player, snatch it up and keep it. I bet it plays wonderful.

20. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    The one thing that grabs my attention is the gash in the body below the control plate. The wood under the finish looks like new wood instead of aged wood. Even if the gash was recent, aged wood wouldn't look like new under the surface.
    Looks to me like a well planed fake with some old miscellaneous parts and some aging techniques on the finish. Could be wrong. Stewmac sells pickup covers like the one in the picture. Solder on the back of the pickup for the cover looks recent to me.

Ripradiant likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.