Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Telecaster 1973 Original?

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by Cser, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Cser

Cser TDPRI Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Vancouver
    Hi,
    I'm new in this forum. I found this nice tele in my aunt's attic. She said it' s there very long. I was wondering if this is an original and what' s worth? It's not in a good shape, but the sound is great. I assume there is a Humbucker on the neck.
    Many thanks for responses!
    Best C

Attached Files:

mnutz likes this.

2. Sparky2

Sparky2 Tele-Meister

Apr 15, 2017
    Harvest, Alabama
    By that serial number (391098?) that Telecaster Custom II would have been made in Fullerton, California in 1973 or early 1974.

She is worth $2,000 or more in the condition I see there.

:)

3. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    No it's not original and it's not a Tele Custom. Bridge is 80s or 90s, neck pickup is a PAF style which is a common mod back then. Customs had a massive floating guard which had extensive route underneath for four pots.

The neck and body might be original. The bridge pickup does look a bit like a staggered pole 70s so could be original. It looks like it's got brass 80s bits which were optional on some Teles.

4. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    Welcome, Cser.
    That humbucker on the neck doesn't look like a Seth Lover Fender humbucker, which had two sets of offset pole pieces. More pics and more investigation would be of interest. That gold hardware is an interesting point, too. I owned a '68 mahogany Thinline with gold hardware, but gold is kind of rare on a Tele.
    Here is a Custom with the Seth Lover designed Fender humbucker.

https://reverb.com/p/fender-telecas...DR8hAF_OTiN5k_rOC08aAtHDEALw_wcB&hfid=1531833

5. Ripradiant

Ripradiant Tele-Holic

Jul 31, 2014
    Alberta Canada
    Interesting that overall it looks great but the neck plate is unusually worn and doesn't match the wear on the rest of the guitar...I see that as a big red flag. Also don't see bullet truss rod cover which I would expect to see on a custom. I think there needs to be much closer exam to understand what that is.

dr_tom and jazzmaster90150 like this.

6. Cser

Cser TDPRI Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Vancouver
    2 more pics..unfortunately there is no more information about the history of the guitar.. many thanks

Attached Files:

7. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    Headstock and decal, two string trees is correct. The split shaft tuners look correct.

Pity the original guard's been chopped. If you had that and the neck pickup it would be closer to original and the humbucker route isn't visible As a non-original player guitar it's worth not as much as original but still a fair chunk. Very popular natural finish.

jazzmaster90150 likes this.

8. Wally

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    That appears to be a minihumbucker there, doesn't it?
    IMho, it would behoove one to get a hands-on assessment from someone with some experience. there should be someone in Vancouver. IF not, there is a place in Seattle that would be able to tell you what you have there...after taking it apart.
    good luck with it, Cser. Do you play???

9. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Holic

Feb 10, 2010
    Low Lands
    The owner must have been an big Keith Richards fan!

10. Wally

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    Keith would have had a big humbucker there.... That little humbucker is NOT a PAF-sized humbucker but rather is a later mini-humbucker type of pickup. ACtually, the pickup in this 'Attic Tele' is more like a Firebird pickup, which is from the Epiphone line of guitars. The Epi pickup had no visible polepieces whereas the mini-humbucker had a single line of adjustable polepieces visible.
    [​IMG]

IT would be interesting to see ALL of this guitar.

11. Tele wacker

Tele wacker Tele-Holic

Jun 15, 2009
    Wichita is nice.
    I think the humbucker is a standard size pup and looks larger than the mini-humbucker. Need some better pics to be sure. Everyone has their own opinion.
    But, if the owner decides to keep the guitar and play it, it doesn't make any difference what it is.

hemmings, dented and twr1 like this.

12. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

Jun 5, 2015
    Nashville
    Changed bridge, control plate, routed for a 'bucker (should be a plug in headstock but the pics don't show that area) on what otherwise looks like about that year for a RW natural finished tele. I concur that it's either the angle of the photo or that does in fact look bigger than a firebird pickup.

Mint, selling price might be 3K, asking prices often higher, the 'bucker rout & changed parts definitely knock off a good chunk of that. As they say "It's worth what someone will pay." A local Nashville shop I stop in would either price it at $1500 or $3500 depending on whatever the heck crazy mental algorithm they're using that week!

13. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 3, 2003
    Athens-GREECE
    Looks like a striped body and not an original 521 natural finish

http://www.brotherdave.com/images/2fendercolorchart7273catalogpage68.jpg

changed control plate and knobs (they should be flat top and not barrel),changed bridge (Gotoh?),changed neck pup to a humbucker sized "poles don't show" one,cut pickguard, if you get $1100- $1300 you will be VERY lucky.

14. Wally

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    That is not a full-sized humbucker, imho. IT is visibly smaller. IF one takes measurements, the humbucker in the OP's post is approximately 1.5 times as wide as the Tele pickup. IN the true Tele Custom I pictured, the Wide Range S. Lover OEM humbucker is approximately 2.3 times as wide as the single coil.
    The guitar that was found in the attic is not a Tele Custom. It is a modified Telecaster from approx. 1973....according to the serial number on the neck plate. We do not know enough about the guitar to offer much of an accurate evaluation...but imho it is worth 50% of what an all-original excellent condition Telecaster...not a Custom....would be worth. It is likely that the parts could bring more than the whole......depending on what an in-depth assessment finds. At this point and with what little info we have at our disposal, I would not venture any sort of a guess as to what might be there and/or what it is worth.

15. RnBtele

RnBtele TDPRI Member

Jun 17, 2017
    Starkville, Mississippi
    If there's a chance of a mod or two to it, could the neck pickup possibly be a fralin's big single ?

16. Wally

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    IF the aunt's story that the guitar has been in the attic for a long time is accurate, then it probably cannot be a Fralin pickup. Fralin's pickup production is rather recent compared to a 'long time' storage thing.
    But....as I noted....we have much too little info to work with here. That guitar will have to be taken apart before anyone knows for sure what is what.

17. deytookerjaabs

Jun 5, 2015
    Nashville
    [​IMG]

Tele w/firebird size pickup

[​IMG]

This Tele

[​IMG]

Tele w/humbucker.

Again, could be the angle of the photo.

I don't think it's a refin at all though, color looks completely legit in terms of 70's natural given some age variations.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
    hemmings and ecosse like this.

18. Wally

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    Whatever the pickup is, the guitar is NOT a Telecaster Custom with a Seth Lover Wide Range humbucker in it. The guitar is NOT worth $3K. It is not worth $2K, imho. IT is an unknown entity.

jazzmaster90150 likes this.

19. deytookerjaabs

Jun 5, 2015
    Nashville
    Wasn't a Tele Custom from the get go, from the pickguard to the truss nut etc but, yeah, "worth" and "value" on these guitars is all over the place. I happen to love actual 70's Tele Customs, one shop I like will have all original in okay shape for $2,500, my local shop has a full blown refin for $2850, lol, and outside of that they sell from 2k-4k w/no issues in general. Selling these is basically "what can you get for it depending on how long you wait or how many suckers are out there" kind of game.

One thing is for sure, unless significantly below these "values" they don't move very fast either way.

20. milocj

milocj Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Aug 21, 2005
    Michigan
    Just to add a bit more info, and confusion, brass aftermarket stuff was really big in the later '70s so its possible that the bridge and other bits are US Schecter or other pioneers into the 6-saddle and brass game. They don't necessarily have to be Gotoh or something a lot newer than the guitar.

Given that Teles went to the black pickguard around '76 it could be an original '76 with a neck plate that floated to the bottom of the parts bin for a couple of years, or a replacement. I think I can see the truss rod access dimple in the pickguard, but it may just be a reflection of the truss rod nut.

It looks like real Fender wood to me and like a factory natural finish.

deejaid and 2 Headed Goat like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.