Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Telecaster 1968 - is it original

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by Guitarman555, Feb 13, 2018.

Is this telecaster from 1968?

1. Is the telecaster neck really original 1968?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Is the telecaster body really original 1968?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Smiff

Smiff Tele-Holic

Oct 1, 2017
    UK
    Lol duh!

Even if the butt was the same width on all 4 nut width choices, the slightly different nut widths would create slightly different angles (Trigonometry) on the sides of the neck, so the sides of the neck pocket would need to be angled accordingly. (I’ve read Tele neck pockets have slightly angled sides and aren’t totally parallel to the centre line ...) So you would in theory need a ‘B’ neck pocket to pair with a ‘B’ nut width.

Maybe they used this stamp system just in the 60’s? Otherwise it could be a ‘B’ width nut from 1957/67/77 etc. right?!

2. Milspec

Milspec Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2016
    Nebraska
    Fender was imperfect from the facotry as far as dating and parts and that situation becomes far worse over the next 50 years. When I see posts like this, I can't help but believe that one will never know for 100% certainty either way, so unless this was for some special auction I would just accept what you believe it is and enjoy it. It looks like it sure could be a that vintage, but then I would have expected to see more "mileage" on the parts (tarnish on the slugs, road wear on the body and neck, etc.) so I wouldn't be surprised if there was some mix-in-match going on either.

Some day someone is going to start offering carbon dating for guitars...it is bound to happen. Until then, you can only gather evidence and make an educated guess. If it looks like a 60's tele, feels like a 60's, and plays like a 60's, then call it one. I am reminded of the 60's era red Strat that Knopfler spent decades playing only to discover decades later that it wasn't a Fender after-all. Did it really matter when you get right down to it?

Smiff likes this.

3. Milspec

Milspec Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2016
    Nebraska
    Has anyone noticed the number of 1968 telecasters coming out of Japan on places like fleabay? Seems to be a very common date and they are almost always white or blondes. There must be quite a stock-pile over there or something. My conclusion is that you have a fantastic vintage guitar. The exact date of everything, I have no idea. I hope it makes you happy everytime you remove it from the case, that is the real point to owning nice stuff in the first place.

dan1952 likes this.

4. Smiff

Smiff Tele-Holic

Oct 1, 2017
    UK
    Lol this!

Poor old Knopfler haha. Makes you wonder what other pros used guitars that weren’t exactly what they purported to be!

Why they all in Japan? That seems a bit odd.

5. MatthewK

MatthewK Tele-Holic

Jul 29, 2009
    Hobart, Australia
    All the nut widths had the same heel width. The difference between A and D at the nut is 3/8 of an inch, which across the length of the neck would alter the taper by roughly 1 degree. This would mean the neck pocket needed to be 0.03 inches (1/32") wider or narrower if they were matched to the neck width, and Fender were not building to those tolerances.

Smiff likes this.

6. Guitarman555

Guitarman555 TDPRI Member

Feb 13, 2018
    France
    The stamp bellow says exactly same thing: 6749 (or B749). I it written by hand, whereas the upper stamp is stamped.

7. Milspec

Milspec Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2016
    Nebraska
    It is a very good question....I think there are probably 8 of them on there right now.

Guitarman555 likes this.

8. Guitarman555

Feb 13, 2018
    France
    The guitar has unbeliavable sustain. Nice sounding one. When I make a chord, I feel vibrations through all guitar body.

9. Guitarman555

Feb 13, 2018
    France
    Btw. I bought it from a US guy. I don´t want to risk Japanese "surely original" issues. I cannot believe that in Japan could be so many teles from 60´s. That is why I grabbed it in US.

10. Nightclub Dwight

Nightclub Dwight Tele-Meister

Aug 12, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Back in the 1980's when we were mired in a recession, buyers in Japan were very aggressive in buying vintage Fenders. A large shop I frequented had a standing order. My friends and I were still pretty young and dumb. We didn't realize the true value of vintage. My next door neighbor sold his 50's Strat, which had been passed down in his family, to the shop for his choice of any guitar on the wall and any amp on the floor. An older, wiser, friend of ours inquired at the shop a few days later, hoping to purchase the Strat, but it had already been shipped off to Japan.

Guitarman555 and Smiff like this.

11. Smiff

Smiff Tele-Holic

Oct 1, 2017
    UK
    Good enough reason for me. Cheers.

12. Guitarman555

Feb 13, 2018
    France
    This can really explain why cunning Japanes foxes have so much stuff from 1960´s.

13. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Afflicted

Dec 21, 2012
    england
    Maple laminated necks are hard to make the process is tedious for what a 68 neck would sell for who would be arsed even faking one
    the neck looks fine correct laminated board correct 12th fret spacing a picture of the decal would be good

A tele body on the other hand could be anything

rob2, Guitarman555 and Smiff like this.

14. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    If one accepts that all of the parts that were brought together to make this guitar did not leave the factory together, then what Guitarman555 has there is a partcaster that has its market value in the value of the individual parts, imho. If those parts make up a good guitar, then it is time to play it since it has already been purchased.
    It’s value as a guitar in the market imho is less than 50% of an excellent and original condition ‘68 Tele.

FirTrader, tonyj and Smiff like this.

15. Smiff

Smiff Tele-Holic

Oct 1, 2017
    UK
    I was actually going to mention this last night but fell asleep and forgot this morning.

These Maple cap necks while rareish are hard to do and not worth the effort. It’s like that ‘72 Custom neck that was posted a month or so back; why would people bother to fake these CBS necks when they could just as easily fake a pre CBS neck and potentially get more cash.

16. Smiff

Smiff Tele-Holic

Oct 1, 2017
    UK
    One heck of a Partscaster too! If someone offered me a CBS Partscaster I’d be all over it.

Guitarman555 likes this.

17. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    Why would someone recreate the maple-capped Fender necks??? Because they could????
    Good reading here.....I found it in 30secinds by searching ‘made in Asia capped maple Fender necks’ or something close to that....
    http://www.xhefriguitars.com/page9.html

Smiff likes this.

18. Guitarman555

Feb 13, 2018
    France
    You are right about the value, but frankly: how many vintage guitars are sold as original piece but seller don´t know or hide that they are made from parts (partcasters). Here I appreciated that the guy told me. Of course, you can check wheather neckstamp, neckplate serial number and other things go together, but eg. at this case everything is pretty close and could be communicated as one piece guitar. Of course it is not.

Wally likes this.

19. Smiff

Smiff Tele-Holic

Oct 1, 2017
    UK
    True, there aren’t many though. I was looking for one for my build at some point and Musikraft seemed to be the only place I could get one without going too far down the custom boutique builder road.

20. tonyj

tonyj Tele-Afflicted

May 23, 2011
    Alberta, Canada
    Sadly what Wally has described appears to becoming more of the norm these days, rather than being the exception. Over the past couple of years I have handled a number of 'sixties vintage' teles; all at prices that didn't reflect that a large percentage of them were far from being "all original", and that in a number of cases, the things had been 'refinished' etc., etc., as well.

The VG price guide is a great starting point for pricing the value of any or most guitars. It would however seem that too many would be sellers don't understand that the prices quoted by the guide are for top of the line, all original pristine examples of a particular guitar. The prospect of a bunch of $$$, tends to dazzle so many of us. Sellers forget to discount that starting value by 50% or so for a refin, as an example, no matter how good the refin is. Every blemish, incorrect screw or screw hole, replaced tuner(s), an 'upgraded pickup', the need for a refret, etc., can bring the real value of any guitar tumbling way below the prices that many sellers nowadays think their prize guitar might be worth. Hence, so often we are routinely being expected to pay over the top prices for mix and matched partscaster guitars often described as 'rare vintage' collector specimens.

Thankfully many of us have learned through both good and bad experiences, or through the use of helpful input from members of this forum, to take a very careful and measured approach before looking at any guitar before we part with any of our hard earned cash. Buyer beware is becoming, or has become, more the norm, or so it would seem.

Do your research before you buy, - or at least enlist the help of a knowledgeable friend or other expert. It can save a heck of a lot of after purchase stress.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.