Telebird/Firebird owners help needed.

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Chunkocaster, Apr 20, 2019.

1. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Friend of Leo's

I'm currently putting a telebird together and the body I have is flat topped. I want to place a veneer on the top to simulate a neck through firebird that's raised/ stepped. How high is the raised section on your firebird or telebird body? The pickguard material I have is 2.3mm thick so I want to go higher than that. If someone knows how high their telebird or firebirds raised body section is above the pickguard that would be great.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
  2. richiek65

richiek65 Tele-Afflicted

Just measured my Firebird, 2.96mm (using a vernier as a depth gauge). Possibly the specs on the factory plans call for 1/8" and mine is a bit less but within tolerance?

This is the depth of the step from the centre block to the wings, not to pickguard itself

Chunkocaster and bender66 like this.
  3. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

On my Birds it's just slightly higher than the PG.

I've been looking for one of those Telebird bodies. The ones I see are not quite right.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  4. Chunkocaster

Great, thanks a lot for measuring that for me. The sheets i'm looking at getting in a few hours come in 3mm and 5mm. Think I will go with the 3mm now as it's closer to your firebird and still slightly higher than the pickguard material.

richiek65 likes this.
  5. Chunkocaster

Yes most telebird bodies look a little off and so does this one. Hopefully the faux raised section gets it a bit closer looking to a firebird. I bought this body about 6 years ago and am just getting around to using it now. I recently sold my firebird so hopefully this telebird will ease the pain a little.

20190330_023940.jpg

6. richiek65

richiek65 Tele-Afflicted

Gave me a great excuse to get it out of its case and have a play!

Chunkocaster likes this.
  7. bender66

How thick is it?

I'd think about planing the "wings" down a step instead of raising the center.

Chunkocaster and perttime like this.
  8. chemobrain

chemobrain Friend of Leo's

very nice, "Johnny Winter meets Leo Fender"

Chunkocaster likes this.
  9. bender66

That, or Lynurd Firebird, is going on my headstock chemo.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  10. perttime

perttime Tele-Afflicted

Sounds like a plan, as long as the switch and pots will still fit.

Chunkocaster and bender66 like this.
  11. Chunkocaster

It's about the thickness of a tele but the top wing is contoured and it has a belly cut so it would end up too thin in places and be too hard to plane it down. I did say it was flat but I meant the main body area. I'm also thinking I might route some weight relief in behind the bridge before applying the veneer.

12. Chunkocaster

Thanks, I do like the telebirds. Cool look with the familiar feel of a tele as far as bridge and control plate go.

13. bender66

FB's have the belly cut.
    20190420_234801.jpg
    I wouldn't call it thin. It looks pretty sleek methinks.

I'd just make sure you got your shelf line crisp with a router.

It'd be a good way to weight relieve.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  14. Chunkocaster

I mean looking at this body from the top and butt sides, the sweep of the transition from the belly cut to arm contour is good as it stands, if I managed to plane the body down that would all change and be a pita to make good again. I'm also not set up to thin it down, all I have is a electric hand plane and i'll have to buy a cheap router if I go ahead and route some weight relief.
    The arm contour actually tapers back at the rear of the body.

My 1990 Lawsuit Burny Firebird I just sold about a month ago.

20180826_153235.jpg

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
    richiek65 and bender66 like this.
  15. Chunkocaster

Funky contour angles on telebird body. I still need to round some of the edges over but don't want to mess with these angles.

Looking down at arm contour into belly cut
    20190421_162651.jpg

20190421_162656.jpg
    Rear looking at arm contour

20190421_162717.jpg

16. CHarg

CHarg TDPRI Member

I actually have a question about the neck on your tele-bird. From the angle of the photo, the headstock looks like it might be one of those gorgeous-looking and inexpensive Chinese necks from eBay. I've been strongly tempted to order one, and if that's what yours is, I'd be curious to know what you think about the neck in general. Please forgive me for getting off-topic!

Chunkocaster likes this.
  17. DaveTone

DaveTone Tele-Meister

Meh, I forgot what I was going to write.

bender66 likes this.
  18. Chunkocaster

Good eye, it is a cheap Chinese flame neck. I swore I would not gamble on a Chinese neck after getting stung by one about 9 years ago. I rolled the dice again with this cheaper flame neck to save a few bucks on this build and I was tempted by that flame.

Aesthetically it looks great, quality wise it's just ok, Fuller c shape probably about .87 to .96, nice med jumbo sized frets although one has a slight bend in it at the edge of the fret board, hoping to knock it straight. Sighting down the neck it has a very slight twist in it, hopefully not a problem, will find out when I string it up.
    The tuner holes are off, 10mm and slightly wider apart than a fender so my preferred vintage split shaft tuners wont work even with adapter bushes, from the rear the tuners are left with a larger space half way. I had to order some Wilkinson Grover style tuners for it so spacing looks right from the rear. The truss rod hole looks a little funky/ messy and it takes a hex key that also looks a little grotty but works.

If I had the cash though I would go for an allparts neck over these cheap necks. I'm just putting this body to use on the cheap with parts I already have lying around and a spend of no more than $150 bucks put into it.

For the added bling of the flame on these necks there is a sacrifice on quality and performance imo. For the money an Allparts unfinished non flame neck is much better choice if you can live without the flame and don't mind applying a finish yourself.

perttime and CHarg like this.
  19. CHarg

CHarg TDPRI Member

Thanks a million for all the info on the neck! I had a feeling that it might be too good to be true, so to speak, because they are so inexpensive and do look so awesome in the ads! I actually do have an Allparts TMO FAT neck laying around, so, as you suggest, I'll just use that on my next build. Thanks again!!

Chunkocaster likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.