Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Teleacoustic Bridge Preparing For Liftoff

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by BeegReeg, Jun 29, 2017.

1. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Most of us DO worry about where we set it down and who picks it up.

Also want to say, why do you think this is more durable than conventional all wood guitars?

2. BeegReeg

BeegReeg TDPRI Member

Jun 29, 2017
    Hawaii
    I know what you mean. I've had good luck with Fishman Rare Earth HB in the soundhole. Good for feedback and batteries last loooong.

3. BeegReeg

BeegReeg TDPRI Member

Jun 29, 2017
    Hawaii
    For one thing a maple bolt on neck is much harder to break than a glued in mahogany neck. It's much harder wood. They use it for baseball bats. Beyond that, the fiberglass back/sides of the Telecoustic is much tougher than a wooden back with glued on sides. There's no binding on the bottom to split or scratch. There's no glossy wood finish to scratch. It's also waterproof if somebody spills a beer on it. When I'm at a party, especially if it's rowdy and outdoors, I don't want to have to worry about my guitar-- I want to party-- so I don't take a good one. I take a tough one--an old Peavey Tele if it's an electric soirée, or the Telecoustic. Works for me.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2017

4. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I know the neck is strong, of course.

But it's a heavy Tele neck not designed to be on this guitar. It's a Rube Goldberg to me.

5. 4 Cat Slim

4 Cat Slim Friend of Leo's

Oct 17, 2012
    Nelson City TX
    Good job on the repair!
    It looks like it should hold together just fine.

6. BeegReeg

BeegReeg TDPRI Member

Jun 29, 2017
    Hawaii
    Thanks. Yeah-- I thought so, too, until I used it on a spirited 3 hour gig Sat night and afterward the glue had popped loose back to how it was. Back to the bench! Live & learn.

7. BeegReeg

BeegReeg TDPRI Member

Jun 29, 2017
    Hawaii
    Just to put a lid on it-- I scraped all the Gorilla Glue out I could and re-did it with epoxy. The squeeze-out was a little more trouble to clean up, but it came out fine and hasn't budged since. I know epoxy isn't the preferred product, but it's fine for this cheap guitar. Beyond that it's taken half a dozen tries to get the neck shimmed and adjusted, but it's become a very playable little axe.

IMG_0299.JPG IMG_0299.JPG

8. trev333

trev333 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

looks good... nice job... :)

I just fixed a bridge today in a similar fashion.... the top was weak, so I screwed it as well....

9. BeegReeg

BeegReeg TDPRI Member

Jun 29, 2017
    Hawaii
    Yeah- that would have been insurance, but the body is thin enough and the bridge far enough from the sound hole that it would have been tough to get a nut on the backside of the screw. Plus, with my luck, I would have probably ruined the undersaddle PU wiring or something in the process. I'm hopeful the lue will do.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.