Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Tele with a Strat neck pickup? Let's see 'em and hear about them.

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by DHart, Sep 15, 2018.

1. DHart

DHart Tele-Afflicted

Oct 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ USA
    I have quite a variety of Teles, but none with a Strat neck pickup. And I happen to really love the tone of a Strat neck pickup... are they about as nice sounding when in a Tele?

2. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Missoula, Montana
    I don't have a Strat pickup, ezzackly, but I do have a recent (2015?) American Standard tele, and I can get a really convincing Strat neck pickup sound out of that thing. Maybe it's the pickup, maybe it's the saddles, but it feels closer than any tele neck pickup I've tried.

The Fat 50s in my Strat are killer too. AS 4evah!

3. LGOberean

LGOberean Poster Extraordinaire

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    I don't have one myself, either, but I'll just leave this here until some TDPRIer with such a modded tele comes along...

Okay, so in that video neither Marty nor Kenny played through the neck pickup on their respective modded teles, but obviously they both like a strat pup in the neck position. So here's another video with 5 minutes of Kenny playing through the neck pup on that same guitar...

Here's another of Kenny with the same guitar, this time alternating mostly between the middle position and the neck, which to me is useful for showing how that neck pickup pairs with a tele bridge pickup (personally, I spend a lot of time playing in the middle posish)...

4. DHart

DHart Tele-Afflicted

Oct 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ USA
    I agree... one of my Strats has Fat 50s in it and they sound awesome.

Reason for my post is, I think I want to have one Tele with a pure Strat pickup in the neck position. I think I would love that.

5. GuitarJonz

GuitarJonz Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    MA
    Yeah, love that one where Kenny plays on the strat neck for the whole song, sounds killer. I notice he picks way down near the bridge for a nice twangy tone.

6. ElJay370

ElJay370 TDPRI Member

Apr 3, 2018
    Los Angeles, CA
    David Gilmour used a Tele with a Strat pickup in the neck for most of Wish You Were Here and on both his solo albums. The leads on Shine On You Crazy Diamond especially.

7. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's

I was just about finished with my last Tele build and was gathering up electronics for it, and noticed that one of the neck pickup leads was about to break. I waited on this one after a nitro finish, and just did not have the patience to wait for an order or run to the store. So I went looking in the pickup box, and...

[​IMG]

I like the Strat pickup in the neck position! I just sounds more 'open' than the Tele pickup, with just a faint whiff of quack. Worked out nicely.

- D

8. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jun 30, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    One of my Teles has the Rose Bourbon in the neck..It's wound to sound like a Strat..Love that pickup..

tintag27 and DHart like this.

9. AngelDeville

AngelDeville Tele-Afflicted

Dec 27, 2007
    Albuquerque
    If any of my 3 Teles had a neck pickup it would be a strat neck pickup.

Probably and HS3 dimarzio. I think it would go nice with the CS nocasters

DHart likes this.

10. Revelation

Revelation Tele-Meister

Aug 4, 2018
    PA
    I played a Strat since the 80s and recently purchased a Professional Tele. I only played my Tele now for a month and initially I found I preferred the fuller sounding Strat front pickup. But after getting used to the sound of the Tele front pickup , going from 09's to 10's, and using thicker picks (which help beef up the sound), I just love the Tele front pick up now and don't miss the Strat pickup. The Tele front pickup is the younger brother of the Strat pickup.

11. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI
    Go ahead and do it. It's a good combo. Most Teles have the same pots and caps as a Strat so the Strat neck pickup will sound like a Strat.

I keep threatening one of my Strats that it will get a Tele bridge pickup ;)

Ricky D. and DHart like this.

12. DHart

DHart Tele-Afflicted

Oct 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ USA
    I'm not familiar with the HS3 DiMarzio, though I do like their pickups and have a number of them.

I will check that out. Thanks.

13. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    Wow, that sounds fantastic! The neck pickup is the only pickup I really, true love on a Strat. And I prefer Teles to Strats in every other way. So I might have to try this!

14. Bob Arbogast

Bob Arbogast Tele-Afflicted

Been there, done that. I got what I was after when I installed a Texas Special Tele neck pickup. That pickup gets warm, clear, even bright, without that "horrid" :) glassiness of a Strat neck pickup.

15. DHart

DHart Tele-Afflicted

Oct 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ USA
    Oooo... I love that twinkly, glassiness that a Strat has. I'm a lover of the crystalline, clean, clear, sparkle.

Dan R likes this.

16. Andy B

Andy B Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Mar 16, 2003
    Colorado
    My wife plays a Partscaster I built which has a DiMarzio Area 61 Strat neck pickup in it. Great sound. She likes it so much that I changed the Area 58 neck pickup in her favorite Strat to an Area 61.

DHart likes this.

17. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 14, 2008
    Manheim Pa.
    I built a Tele copy using a FCS 69 Strat pickup in the neck position . I certainly will make that mistake again .

DHart and CFFF like this.

18. DHart

DHart Tele-Afflicted

Oct 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ USA
    I've been thinking that I will get one of the "Area" Strat pickups for one of my Teles.

The Area 58 and Area 61 seem like they would sound very much alike, but perhaps not. What is it about the Area 61 than she likes so much better than the Area 58?

19. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Meister

Jun 22, 2017
    NJ
    I always thought that the neck pickup on my G&L ASAT sounded like a strat neck pickup.

Revelation likes this.

20. doguitar

doguitar TDPRI Member

I agree with your tone assessment. I built a Tele Thinline with a Wilde Bill Lawrence strat neck pickup. As stated, a bit more open sounding with a hint of quack! Glassier too. b1qhx53xeqsraeefvz6t.jpg b

StrangerNY and DHart like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.