Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Tele with a bigsby

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by hamfists, May 1, 2018.

1. hamfists

hamfists Tele-Meister

Feb 22, 2015
    ely, cambs, england
    Hi everyone

I’m considering putting a bigsby on my tele but is there any differences in tone? I’m also worried I’d lose the classic snap from tele bridge.

Thanks in advance

naneek likes this.

2. old_picker

old_picker Tele-Afflicted

I have done a few teles and esquires with bigsby plus many telecasters without one - to be quite honest even when using the same pickups I haven't notice any appreciable difference in tone.

Heres an Esquire that was an absolute cracker:
    [​IMG]

3. chiefline

chiefline Tele-Holic

Mar 18, 2014
    new jersey
    5521ADC0-2287-42BC-A3A2-E9ACC4B846F8.jpeg I haven’t noticed a change in tone since i installed a bigsby on my tele

Attached Files:

brookdalebill and SolidSteak like this.

4. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

Apr 27, 2016
    USA
    IMO having converted 1 tele from 6-saddle to a F-5 Bigsby, it might sound a little different because of the longer length of string behind the saddle. But... BIGSBY! It will still sound cool. You WANT it to sound different. Just get a second tele!

5. tlsmack

tlsmack Tele-Holic

Jan 20, 2007
    Lonk I-lant, New York
    Is there a chance of a Bigsby install messing with my neck angle? My Tele plays so nice, part of me says leave well enough alone.

BTW, this guy makes me jones for a Bigsby loaded Tele!!!

check out Jay's other vids! He has a few Bigsby Tele's!!!!

jonnyfez and naneek like this.

6. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

Dec 8, 2010
    Montreal
    I bought a tele way back because it was completely stable in tuning - unlike a strat I had. Also have a Gretsch Country Gent with a wang-bar and it's pretty good but not as stable as the tele.

Hope you have a good floor tuner. You may find yourself re-tuning after every song - also better have a really good tech to install it or you will be one unhappy guy.

Guys who play them in videos like the one above have had the work done by the best luthier in town no doubt.

7. Tapatio

Tapatio Tele-Meister

Jun 13, 2016
    New Jersey, USA
    I have a MIJ 62 RI and the bigsby is very stable. Not a lot of retuning necessary. But I agree with Bartholomew3 above... if you are not absolutely sure about the installation, have a tech do it!

8. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 24, 2009
    Ada, MI
    The only guitar I really regret selling was a Japanese Tele with a bigsby that twanged and stayed in tune and had a geat neck. Unfortunately it was the first tele I had and I thought I could do better without a bigsby, as if it somehow sucked up tone. I was wrong. I sold it in partial trade for Deluxe Strat, which I eventually sold as well. The guy who bought my tele didn't really play it. He just left it sitting in his front parlor on a stand all forlorn and neglected. He wouldn't sell it back to me for a reasonable price. I used to sneak over to his house and peak in the window when I was pretty sure he wasn't home. I would just gaze long enough to sigh heavily, but not so long that somone would call the local constabulary, and then sadly turn and walk away.

9. LocoTex

LocoTex Tele-Holic

Jan 16, 2018
    Waxahachie, TX.
    How much weight does a Bigsby add?

10. YeOldeTeleDuder

YeOldeTeleDuder Tele-Holic

Apr 10, 2018
    San Diego
    Depends on which model, I believe the B7 is 12.5 oz. However that 12.5 oz is cancelled out by all the new mojo you'll be giving your Tele.

LocoTex, hamfists and drf64 like this.

11. macatt

macatt Tele-Meister

Jan 10, 2007
    silverdale wa
    B-5 = .6 lbs.

12. metalicaster

metalicaster Tele-Afflicted

Jun 5, 2011
    I'm a wanderer...
    I never noticed all that much difference - apart from when I took a wrong turn and used a Jazzmaster bridge which replaced my sustain with rattle.

On my number 1 I recently improved the original Jazzmaster design - 3 holes drilled and some saddles I had spare.

Now I have a rocking bridge that doesn't throw set screws all over the stage.

bridge.jpg

fidopunk, kLyon and milocj like this.

13. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Wrong approach, I would suggest.

The wiser course of action is to BUY a T style with a Bigsby already effective and really working nicely on there.

I say that because I've seen guys who are comfortable winding their own pickups, attempt a Bigsby install and basically get rejected. The result just wasn't what was expected.

With Respect and Kindest Regards to the Successful guys who have posted above me here, they're the winners. You probably not going to hear a peep from the guys who did their best and just didn't get what they wanted when they did the conversion. I'm just so consistently satisfied with the Bigsbys on guitars such as Gibson ESs and Guild Starfires and various Gretsches, etc., but I try my best to sample every Bigsby install T type I see for sale in a guitar store. Some, are just beyond my ability to buy right now, but the rest of them are goofed up some kind of way - or they don't work the way I feel they should.

I do all kinds of conversions and projects. I'll tell you, nothing scares me like the idea of gambling that a Bigsby install on a T type will work. On a Gibson, it is no big deal. But the Architecture of a Fender style guitar, too many things working against you - very clear and significant chance you will end up unhappy.

Last edited: May 23, 2018

14. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Funny you say that, because I did a B5 install that was a breeze. And I'm a total spaz.

Maybe it helped that I was doing it on an inexpensive partscaster, so I was pretty relaxed about it.

I even had a hiccup, but fixing it was also a breeze:

I first put a roller bridge on there, and absolutely hated it. To me, a total tone sucker. So I went to 3 vintage bridge with a Bubba mod, and now a totally different animal.

It just wasn't difficult putting a B5 on there. And it's a piece of cake positioning it correctly.

RomanS likes this.

15. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Maybe you're better at this kind of stuff, than you thought you were!

:^)

16. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I stink at everything else, so why should this be any different?

HAH!

YeOldeTeleDuder likes this.

17. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Here's mine.

Granted, it’s a cheap Chinese Chigsby, but damn if I can tell the difference, besides the quality of the “steel.”

The B5 Chigsbys are a hell of a lot lighter, which might be an advantage, but certainly not as solid as real market-branded Bigsby.

But the price differential was a no brainer for me. Pennies compared to big bucks.
    AFC5EAEC-A767-4069-9DBF-3B0C832F4AB4.jpeg

Last edited: May 23, 2018
    YeOldeTeleDuder likes this.

18. Mase

Mase Tele-Meister

Apr 20, 2016
    Australia
    The trick for me was to give up on the rocking bridge, i know many disagree with this, but on my third try I used a Callaham bridge designed for a Bigsby and it stays in tune. 20180324_161219.jpg

19. Chatnoir

Chatnoir Tele-Holic

Sep 5, 2016
    Peabody, MA
    They look sweet, but I'd never have one on my guitar due to the added weight alone...

Laura

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.