Tele wiring suggestion

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by yelemusic, Jun 11, 2019.

1. yelemusic

yelemusic TDPRI Member

Hi there guys,
    a while ago I asked about what wood you'd prefer for a new Tele I was going to build (well, more like assemble, as I don't have the place to make guitars from scratch. I need to get body and neck made by someone).
    Here's the old thread: http://www.tdpri.com/threads/help-with-choice-of-wood.823491/
    Oh and the body can be seen in my sig pic.

Anyway, I went with a thinline with Walnut body and Rosewood top, which looks lovely. Also got myself a rosewood neck, something I always wanted :)
    Now the guitar is almost finished (only a year later :) ), all that's left is decide on what wiring I'd like.
    There's a Seymour Duncan SH-2 Jazz in the neck position and a SD STK-T3B (noisless stack design) at the bridge. Apparently both can be split.

Aaaanyway, I'm not after ultimate flexibility, so I was first going for a standard 3 way switch like in any other Tele. But given that especially the SH-2 could be useful in split mode, I'm now thinking maybe a 4-way switch could be cool, with the split on the 4th (nearest to the neck) position.
    Do any of you have an idea how this can be achieved? I checked SDs wiring diagrams, but couldn't find what I am looking for. Chances are I'm too dumb, but the fact remains that I don't have a wiring diagram for this kind of wiring.

Can anybody help?

And yes, I WILL post a picture of the guitar! :)

Thanks, folks! Highly appreciated!

2. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Leme just mention, the more "stuff" you put in the signal path the more the overall quality of the sound is eroded... less is more, always....

the single most often used variant of the traditional 3 way, is the 4 way.... in the 4th position it couples the two single coil pickups in the same manner a Humbucker's two coils are.. thus the resulting sound it very Humbvuckeresque... rich, full and robust....

In over 50 years I have never met a guitarist that needed splits, taps, phase reversal etc.. but I have met a hellova lot of 'em that asked for such then had me remove it after a few weeks because all that stuff it much ado about nothing..

r

ModerneGuy, BB and beninma like this.
  3. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Think simple for gigging or remembering six months later what the switching does.
    There is a mod that gives a Strat over 400 switching options, I'd never remember it all.

The Tele 4-way switch is my favorite mod (N, N+B, B, Humbucker), along with the Kirchen mod (flip the control plate for V, T, Switch to the back).

I would say to build up two control plates, the basic one you expect to use long term with either 3-way or the 4-way switching. The second one you add the fancy mega switch and all the fancy features you want. Wire this one while you are using the other one. Then when you finally get this one built up you just swap the pickup wires over to this and store the simple controls to the side. This way every time you want to try an experiment, you can drop in the simple plate and still have the guitar working while you do the mods.

4. BCblues55

BCblues55 TDPRI Member Gold Supporter

I agree with the four way switch recommendations mentioned above. VERY useful for every Tele.

I’m not sure you could get split coils only in position 4, so you’d need a superswitch. An easier option might be to use push-pull (or the less common but more ergonomic push-push) pots for your volume and tone controls. Then you could split either pickup or both, independent of switch position.

5. yelemusic

yelemusic TDPRI Member

I agree 100%. As I said, I'm more of an oldskol guy, never felt that a Tele with a 3-way Switch is lacking something.

would the 2 PUs then be wired in series or parallel? Bear in mind that I already have 2 humbuckers installed, so wiring them in series to be sort of a "turbo humbucker" might not be such a great idea, as it might be overwhelmingly powerful. Never tried, just imagining it.

TBH I've got a Les Paul with split switch, and I hardly ever use the split position. But I've met a number of guitarists who would. Especially in the studio I can think of a number of occasions where different options could come in handy. Not so much live though.

Hm...

Yeah, that's madness :) As said above, when recording a number of options might be what you need, live not so much. The latter requires a guitar to be reliable and to work with the band.

I think a 4-way switch would be as far as I'd go. More kind of defeats the whole idea of simplicity of the Tele. Now, I've got 2 HBs installed already, so the humbucker wiring on pos. 4 doesn't make much sense I'd assume. I've already got the HB sound on this Tele. That's why I was thinking of a coil split.
    Never heard the term Kirchen mod. Church mod? Maybe not for me, as I'm an atheist :)
    Ah, now I get it, reverse the plate. Haha, done that already :) Never knew it's called Kirchen mod :)

That might actually be a good idea! I'm not good at all at wiring, so I'll start with the simple circuit and work my way up on a separate control plate.

Now, since I've got 2 HBs installed, what other ideas are there, what could be done with pos. 4 on the 4-way switch?

Well, reading all your replies it seems I should just keep it simple and do a standard Tele wiring with only 3 positions... Simplicity! :) We'll see..

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
  6. eallen

eallen Tele-Afflicted

While agree with simple, you asked for options so here are a couple I use with an SH configuration that all recipients have loved. One 4-way, one 5-way. The 5-way can also be done with a oak grigsby super switch using a different diagram which is a little less than the schaller. [​IMG][​IMG]

Eric

7. Mincer

Mincer Tele-Meister

Another possibility is use the 3 way and an S1 switch as a master split.

8. CalebAaron666

CalebAaron666 Tele-Meister

when I rebuilt by partscaster, I went with:
    Pickups>switch>volume>jack
    No tone circuit/knob.
    The sound is strong and clear. And it’s great having one less knob that i never used anyway.

9. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

here is why "simple" tends to produce a "better" sounding guitar...

the signal is a composite of many different "frequencies" and high impedance at that... a characteristic of such signals is that the "highs" like to leak off... give them any opportunity and zip.. they're outta here like a bunch underage wannabes at a Frat party when the Cops show up...

everytime you have some sort of "cataract" like a switch, jack, less than perfect solder joints, anything, and zip.. more of the high end is gone...

now when it's gone.. it's history, tweaking the treble is NOT bring it back, all that does is further modify what's remaining... and since much of the qualities we're looking for in the sound are "transmitted" by that high end.... the overall quality of the sound starts sounding as exciting as that "blind date" your Mom set ya up with the you were 15...really?? Your Cousin... with Glasses??

But the qualities that are lost are, the articulation. . that "cut through the mix" sound many demand, clarity, airiness, all the things you recognize in a quality guitar... and why... so ya can flip a switch and ask,, "So what do ya think of this sound?" Yawn!! :rolleyes:

Occasionally I'll get someone that requests a guitar with the bare minimum "electronics". Pickup, Volume control (sometimes) and an output jack... Guys, that combo never fails to amaze me with the quality of sound, with about any pickups you wanna put in the "chain".

If ya wanna experiment... next time you're "into" your guitar.. hot wire the output of the pickup directly to the guitar cable..and on into yore amp... give THAT a spin....

rk

10. yelemusic

yelemusic TDPRI Member

Hey guys, thanks for all you suggestions, ideas and thoughts.
    I’m still not sure how I’m gonna wire it, but I’m now gravitating towards classical 3-way with no fancy stuff like splits etc.
    I do like my tone pot though, so wiring the PU directly to the output is not an option for me.
    I’m sure it has an impact on the sound, but on the other hand we’ve come to expect an electric guitar to sound like a guitar with switches and pots, so getting rid of all these might actually result in a guitar that doesn’t sound how I’d expect it to sound. Who knows...
    If that’s what you’re after, great, but I think I’m fine with the way a Tele with switches and pots sounds :)

Right now I’m busy anyway, so it’ll probably take another week or two until I have to commit to something.
    We’ll see :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.