Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Tele wiring issue

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by mattdon7, Nov 10, 2018.

1. mattdon7

mattdon7 TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Nov 10, 2018
    Houston
    Hey guys! first time posting and first time Tele build.

I have a 902D pre-wired control plate (3-way), Fender vintage-style pickups. Only the bridge pickup works, volume pot does not work.

I have searched and it must be a grounding issue but I have re-soldered the grounds for the two pickups 4 times already and it hasn't fixed it... can you guys help?

Attached Files:

2. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Is the third tab of the volume pot (toward the bottom of that photo) grounded? I can’t tell from the photo because of the black ground wires crossing over there... It needs to be grounded, often done by folding it back and soldering it to the pot body.

LutherBurger and SnidelyWhiplash like this.
  3. mattdon7

Nov 10, 2018
    Houston
    Dont think so, here is what it looks like.

Attached Files:

4. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Ground that & I think it will all work fine.
    And give the supplier a hard time! That’s a rookie mistake imho...

LutherBurger and SnidelyWhiplash like this.
  5. mattdon7

Nov 10, 2018
    Houston
    Thank you! that ground was the problem for the volume pot.

The neck pickup still doesn't work....

6. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Meister

May 23, 2018
    Lake View
    Neck pickup should be pretty straight forward, white to first tab on right and ground preferably to volume pot; and that's how yours looks.

I'm assuming it isn't working in the middle position either? You tapped the pickup with a piece of metal? (Gently, don't scratch it!)

I would probably exercise overkill and clean up the solder, especially on the pot for the pickup ground and while I have the pickup leads loose check the pickup with a multi-meter, make sure it reads 7.whatever and isn't a dead pickup.

I feel your frustration, happened to me recently and it was a dead pickup.

7. mattdon7

Nov 10, 2018
    Houston
    Thank you, I will try that and let y'all know.

8. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    This is surprising to me. I have installed a couple of these 920D loaded and pre-wired sets and the work looked very nice, but this one was clear - should have run the leg of the cap all the way over to the pot.
    Mattdon7, you called it "902D." Was that just a typo for 920D or was 902D actually the name the vendor used? Just wondering in case some fly-by-night outfit was trying to capitalize on name recognition for 920D.
    I hope your neck pickup ends up being OK, keep us posted.
    Rex

9. mattdon7

Nov 10, 2018
    Houston
    Yeah it is 920D, my typo.

I just took it apart and checked the pickup, got it on my volt meter at 20k Ohms and it reads "1." which means too much resistance (infinity).

I checked by bridge pickup and am getting a reading...

Does this mean the neck pickup is defective?

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018 at 9:09 PM
  10. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 29, 2010
    Illinois
    It should measure somewhere between 6K and 8k.

mattdon7 likes this.
  11. mattdon7

Nov 10, 2018
    Houston
    I called Fender and it is out of warranty (over a year old).

12. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    Was the neck pickup provided by 920D as part of the pre-wired package? If so, and it arrived inoperative, I think you should expect them to replace it. Fender's warranty should be N/A to you in this case. If, however, you had the pickups yourself and just bought the plate from 920D, I guess this is too bad. That said, there are a lot of guys here who wind pickups and it ought not to cost more than a pittance to get the existing neck pickup re-wound, or you might even be able to fix it yourself if the break in the wire is at the little ferrules where the ends of the 42 gauge wire is soldered off to.

mattdon7 likes this.
  13. mattdon7

Nov 10, 2018
    Houston
    Thanks guys, I will see what I can do. Bought the pickups separate from 920D.

Here is a picture of the back of the pickup in case any flaw is obvious.

Attached Files:

14. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Meister

May 23, 2018
    Lake View
    Interesting...usually neck pickups are wound counterclockwise/north pole up and if some hum cancel is desired, the bridge pickup would be wound clockwise/south.

Vintage 50s Fender pickups are typically both counterclockwise/north because there was no need for hum cancelling because there was no switch selection for both pickups until the mid-late 60s. Then Fender decided to reverse wind reverse polarity the bridge pickup to clockwise/south.

If you own a real vintage 50s bridge pickup wound counterclockwise/north then you may want to use a RW/RP neck pickup like yours for some hum cancel.

I am curious which way your bridge pickup is wound in relation to your clockwise/assumed south neck pickup.

On your neck pickup the coil wire finish wrap is on the left side (from above, leads facing down) (right side the way your picture is oriented) and I do not see it wrapped around the eyelet where the lead is soldered like I do on the ground side. You might have a bad connection on the hot side. If the pickups are under warranty send it back. If not, there are many on line places that can fix a broken end wrap, pretty cheap actually, if that's what the problem is.

15. Rockbreaker

Rockbreaker Tele-Meister

Mar 19, 2011
    Long Island
    Put an ohmmeter on the leads, that'll tell you if the pick up is good or no

mattdon7 likes this.
  16. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Meister

May 23, 2018
    Lake View
    He did, post #9

mattdon7 likes this.
  17. mattdon7

Nov 10, 2018
    Houston
  18. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Meister

May 23, 2018
    Lake View
    The Amazon link took me to the American Vintage 52 "Original"... Is that right?

Your pickup definitely looks backwards from what is published. Huh.

Using a modern 3 way configuration one pickup should be RW/RP from the other, even though Fender doesn't even do that on all their own guitars.

Now I'm really curious about the bridge pickup.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.