Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Tele tuner upgrade

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by John Harrison, Mar 12, 2008.

1. John Harrison

John Harrison Tele-Afflicted

Mar 3, 2003
    Corvallis, OR
    I'm thinking about upgrading the tuners on a MIM Tele (w/Bigsby tailpiece). What do you recommend? Vintage style? Locking? Which brand do you prefer? Thanks in advance.

2. aunchaki

aunchaki Friend of Leo's

Mar 12, 2006
    Central New York
    I'm a sucker for the vintage style with slotted shafts with holes down the middle. I've put two sets on Teles and love them (needed conversion busings for both). I bought both sets of tuners off of eBay from the Stratosphere. They'd been parted off of Fender RIs. I don't know what brand Fender's using these days.

3. martino

martino Tele-Holic

Aug 2, 2007
    LA CA US

The new TonePros/Kluson Tuning Machines TPKF6B Series Tuners shure look good Havent seen
    any one post here that thay used them Yet! but thay are new.

http://www.toneproskluson.com
    [​IMG]

Guitar Center has them online but I Do not know if they will work for
    your guitar . . .

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Kluson-...s---6-in-Line-Bolt-Bushing-300226-i1374091.gc

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Legba

Legba Tele-Meister

Jan 28, 2008
    Idaho
    If you use the bigsby, locking is nice.

6. Jack Wells

Jack Wells Doctor of Teleocity

Oct 19, 2003
    Albuquerque, USA
    I had a heck of a time finding a price for the Tone Pros. The only link on their site that had them was the Marquis site. I would find it difficult to spend $64.50 for Tone Pros when I could buy perfectly good Gotohs from Warmoth for $28.

7. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

May 25, 2007
    St. Croix, USVI
    i've got Gotoh vintage lockers on my tele & strat and love them. very stable and look good (have aged nicely in our atmosphere).

steve

8. Yup, $ 28.04 plus shipping when bought in multiples of 3 sets or more, at Stewart MacDonald. +1.

[​IMG]

The Gotoh 'klusons' are in fact the ones found on AV52s, No-casters and so on.

They are the real item.

9. Jack Wells

Oct 19, 2003
    Albuquerque, USA
    $28 plus shipping when bought in sets of one or more from Warmoth

...... Click-----> Warmoth Gotohs.JPG

10. martino

martino Tele-Holic

Aug 2, 2007
    LA CA US

The "Gotoh" you and Jack are talking about have no threads or nut on top
    right? press-fit peghead bushings instead.
    http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/...Vintage-style_Oval_Knob_Tuners_6-In-Line.html
    [​IMG]

TonePros Kluson have threaded nut on top.
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/Kluson-...s---6-in-Line-Bolt-Bushing-300226-i1374091.gc

[​IMG]

SO of the 2, TonePros Kluson or the Gotoh Vintage Oval Knob Tuners
    whitch one will swap out with a fender made in mexico tele tuner ? ? ?

11. Jack Wells

Oct 19, 2003
    Albuquerque, USA
    So, you might need conversion bushings if you're installing Gotohs in a MIM Standard neck. Many MIM Fenders already have Kluson style Ping tuners. Add $6.81 for conversion bushings. Gotohs would then cost you $34.81 as compared to the $64.50 for the TonePros.

I noticed that TonePro gives no specifications on their website so who knows what size hole they require.

The threaded nut on the TonePros adds a bit of reduntancy since they also require mounting screws. The mounting screws on Kluson style tuners serve two purposes.

1. They prevent the tuner from falling out.
    2, They prevent the tuner body from turning.

12. martino

martino Tele-Holic

Aug 2, 2007
    LA CA US
    TonePros/Kluson has the "Kluson" name and kinda got the look
    so they can charge bout $30.oo bucks extra.

TonePros/Kluson has had loads of hype on these New Kluson tuners and like you say gives no specifications wonder whats up wit that?

Jack do you have a LINK for conversion bushings to fit the Gotohs?

13. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 4, 2007
    New Jersey
    I have the TonePro SD9105MN Klusons, $50 from WD Music...

[​IMG]

I put them on a MIM Classic 50s Esquire neck and they are a drop-in replacement for the original Pings with no conversion bushings, reaming, etc, required. The quality is very very good.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 12, 2008
  14. Jack Wells

Oct 19, 2003
    Albuquerque, USA
    Double post deleted. I've got to stop doing this.

15. Jack Wells

Oct 19, 2003
    Albuquerque, USA
    The conversion bushing are available from StewMac. Type conversion bushings in their search box.

Well ........... you have them so you should know what you're got but the WD description of the SD9105MNs says nothing about TonePro. If they are a direct replacement for the tuners found on a MIM Classic Series guitar, then they wouldn't be a direct replacement for the Standard. I assume they don't have the threaded nut.

16. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 4, 2007
    New Jersey
    WD Music owns TonePros and now Kluson. As you noted, the model I mentioned (my image looked fine in preview???) are not a replacement for the MIM Standard, and do not have the threadednut.

17. John Harrison

John Harrison Tele-Afflicted

Mar 3, 2003
    Corvallis, OR
    From one of the guitar parts pages:
    "TonePros and Kluson have teamed up to bring you the best that both lines have to offer. The classic vintage appearance of Kluson tuners combined with the cutting edge functionality that TonePros is known for. Shaft diameter aprox 1/4 inch."

Keep those opinions comin'. :)

Emoticon in tribute to MM.

18. 6x47

6x47 Tele-Holic

Mar 28, 2007
    Northern ON
    Are these from Warmoth a drop in for the MIA neck?

19. Jack Wells

Oct 19, 2003
    Albuquerque, USA
    MIA neck ............... you need to be a little more specific. It depends on what tuners it came with.

20. MulliganChebichev

MulliganChebichev Tele-Afflicted

Aug 13, 2006
    Eugene, Oregon
    6x47, from what I know these are the only MIA tuners that aren't drop ins:

Sperzels
    [​IMG]

Ping/Schallers
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Anything else should be drop ins

21. awguitar

awguitar TDPRI Member

Nov 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    So, do the TonePros require new holes in the back of the neck? Or do the screw on bushings keep them in place? Does anybody know how to explain this part
    "Special “clipped” 7 screw set based plates are included for classic “vintage” appearance" ???

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.