Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Tele templates - CNC Questions

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by DerDerbste, Jul 14, 2017.

1. DerDerbste

DerDerbste TDPRI Member

Dec 15, 2012
    Hi everyone,
    I have the possibility to get some templates routed by cnc for very little cost.
    My question now is regarding the neck pocket and the according neck template. I'm using the t.downs tele plan and the neck plan that habe been swirling around here for quite a while.
    Now I'm at the stage where I'm preparing the plans in AutoCAD. The neck pocket width comes in at about 56.5 mm ( 2.224, so a little over 2 7/32"), while the neck heel at its thickest measures 55.6mm (2 3/16"), which seems to be the fender gold standard. I know there have been a lot of discussions about how tight the fit should be (some say a little wiggle room is good, some say fit should be as tight as possible).
    I'm asking myself (and now you) if i should change the drawing of the pocket template so that it perfectly mirrors the neck outline or should i leave that 0.9mm (or adjust so I'm coming in around 0.5mm).
    Of course neck finish has to be thought of, too, but i think since the neck gets finish sanded, there will be some width lost that will compensate for the added thickness of the finish. Also, i can always sand the pocket a little wider if fit to tight. Maybe i'm just overthinking it, what would you do in my place?

Thanks a lot for your help, really appreciated.

2. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    I'd make the neck cavity 2-7/32. I'd make the neck 2-3/16 wide. These numbers depend on the accuracy of the machine that's doing the work.

3. adirondak5

adirondak5 Wood Hoarder Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Oct 24, 2009
    Long Island NY
    I agree with Marty , I mill my neck pockets at about what that drawing shows and I mill necks at the 2 3/16" standard .

4. tt8

tt8 TDPRI Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Australia
    I have access to a CNC cutter. I wouldn't mind cutting a 60s neck template that has the needed centreline, nut line, fret markers, and 8.75mm tuning keyholes ... if a file exists it would be a ideal.

5. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
    adirondak5 likes this.

6. DerDerbste

DerDerbste TDPRI Member

Dec 15, 2012
    The plans from gitarrebassbau are the neck plans i'm also using and i think they include everything needed, down to the template for the truss rod slot (and/or the insert). Thank you guitarbuilder and adirondak5 for your answers, will do as proposed.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.