Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Tele strat hybrids?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Kenner Bartos, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Kenner Bartos

Kenner Bartos TDPRI Member

Mar 17, 2017
    Illinois
    Hi all,
    Title says it all. But more specifically, I'm looking for something that has the general shape of a tele, but with a strat tremolo and pickguard. Anyone able to point me in the right direction?

Thanks y'all,
    Kenner Bartos

2. Praxis

Praxis Tele-Meister

Dec 11, 2007
    Out There
    Warmoth has a hybrid tele body (and pickguard) exactly like that.

nojazzhere likes this.

3. Michael A.

Michael A. Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Jan 12, 2013
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I just bought this First Act Overtone to use the body in a project. Has tummy cut and forearm relief. FA humbuckers are good too. Solid wood, has what you are looking for. Under $30 including shipping off ShopGoodwill.

IMG_20171103_143009503_HDR.jpg

nojazzhere likes this.

4. LowThudd

LowThudd Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca

5. LowThudd

LowThudd Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    A few different configurations, but I don't think any came with PGs, as the whole Superstrat thing was king at the time.

[​IMG]

6. LowThudd

LowThudd Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    PhredE, S-arm and nojazzhere like this.

7. Kenner Bartos

Mar 17, 2017
    Illinois
    I found one of these soon after I made this post and ended up purchasing it. Any ideas on fitting a regular scale length neck on there?

8. Michael A.

Jan 12, 2013
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Quite honestly, I never checked mine to measure the scale length, assuming it was 25.5" all along. That may have been fixed in my mind after seeing this guitar for sale on Ebay with a conventional Squier neck fitted. That is the look I was going to model.

PS: I have just measured the neck of mine and it is 25.5" scale.

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017

9. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

The Triple Tele might work for you ... Three broadcaster pickups and a Strat 5-way switch. It can do Tele and it can do Strat; even Quacks if you want it to. Fantastic guitar from my experience. However, it's a hard tail and you said you wanted a more Strat-like custom pickguard.

[​IMG]

The other way would be to take a Strat and cut it close to a Tele body shape.
    [​IMG]

nojazzhere likes this.

10. John C

John C Tele-Afflicted

Sep 20, 2005
    Kansas City
    People like Tom Anderson and John Suhr have done this concept from time to time, as has the Fender Custom Shop. I don't believe Suhr is doing them at the moment (at least I couldn't find anything but their Modern Ts and Classic Ts, but they also don't have their current Custom Guitar option list on their website - they just have their "production" models listed). Anderson still does their model; it's called the "Mongrel" and they have it in both standard bodies and drop top bodies:

https://www.andersonguitarworks.com/mongrel

https://www.andersonguitarworks.com/drop-mongrel

11. SamIV

SamIV Tele-Meister

May 14, 2011
    South Louisiana
    Godin Session Custom. Mine has the middle pickup routed as well under the pickguard. I know not exactly a strat pickguard, but close. The bridge pickup is actually a strat style built single. I plan on modeing mine one day with a new pickguard and two Strat middle and neck pickups. It already has the 5 way switch.
    Also can be picked up used at very reasonable prices.
    CE19FADB-5826-4EDC-B57F-8654BBD931ED.jpeg

S-arm and Praxis like this.

12. Kenner Bartos

Mar 17, 2017
    Illinois
    A million thanks for checking that. I've been scouring the internet and couldn't find anything. Now it's as simple as a standard neck swap

13. Michael A.

Jan 12, 2013
    Virginia Beach, VA

14. 985plowboy

985plowboy Tele-Afflicted

Feb 5, 2012
    South Louisiana
    I'm all for hybrids but why not just play a strat?

15. tubejockey

tubejockey Tele-Meister

Nov 25, 2015
    the bozone
    I have always thought the ultimate strat/tele hybrid would be a strat body (comfy and ergonomic), with a tele bridge plate and tele bridge pickup (snappy deliciousness).

16. Bikersluggo

Bikersluggo Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Dec 24, 2008
    Dayton, OH

17. Bikersluggo

Bikersluggo Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Dec 24, 2008
    Dayton, OH

18. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Apr 10, 2015
    Italy and Switzerland
    Teles with a tremolo (other than perhaps a Bigsby) turn me off – no offense meant to owners or prospective owners. The nicest tele-hybrid I’ve seen is the Squier Vintage Modified Special of a few years ago – the baby of a Tele and a Jazzmaster … close to what you have in mind perhaps?

19. LowThudd

LowThudd Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca

The "Pawnshop" 51 (Either Squier or Fender) could be modified to a Tele bridge. I have been wanting to do that for a while.

[​IMG]

PhredE, SolidSteak and S-arm like this.

20. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Tele-Afflicted

Nov 15, 2010
    Texas
    Didn't Tom Anderson make these during the 1990's? I'm too lazy to Google it for you...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.