Tele Series Wiring

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by orange_crush, May 25, 2019.

1. orange_crush

orange_crush TDPRI Member

Hey everyone, this is my first post!

I'm trying to finish a project I've been working on. Basically I'd like the Bill Lawrence 5 way tele wiring, but in position 3 I want to put a push pull switch to have both pickups in series. I've had it wired to the Bill Lawrence wiring no problem but I'm having some trouble figuring out how to wire in the push pull series.

Any ideas?

2. sjtalon

sjtalon Doctor of Teleocity

Welcome to the forum my Northern friend.

options:

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 25, 2019
  3. sjtalon

Left diagram:

So simply your neck (pup #1) coil hot goes to the p/p switch, then out to it's location on the switch.

The bridge (pup #2) coil GROUND goes to the p/p switch, its hot stays on your switch as is.

I believe if you wire the orientation of the p/p switch so that the pot can would be on top of it in the diagram, then to get series, you put the 5W selector on 3, then pull the knob up.

Let us know if your neck is a three wire type, if not ,you'll need to mod it....... or if it has NO cover, then no problem.

orange_crush likes this.
  4. orange_crush

Yeah I've already cut the original ground and grounded the cover of my neck pup. I'm going to give this a try later.

5. orange_crush

So where will I attach my neck grounds? I have one off the plate and one from the bobbin. I guess one will go to my selector switch and one will go to the main ground?

6. sjtalon

Yes, the 5 w BL diagram I have shows that neck ground (coil/bobbin) to the switch so that remains.

Sorry I didn't think of that in this case as that diagram shows as would be the scheme used in a regular application where the neck coil is to ground.

"plate" assume you mean the cover..................goes to ground.

Just out of curiosity what are your pups ?

7. orange_crush

Yeah, sorry.

I have a set of Vineham Classic T's. I'm all wired up now and have the regular settings when the switch is pushed but when I pull it I'm just killing the signal. I have the neck pup wired to the 5 way and then a jumper going from the switch to the top left lug on the push/pull, if the shaft is on top. That's jumped to the middle right lug. Do I need another jumper from the bottom right lug?

8. sjtalon

See it this way, the neck is wired to the 5 way FROM the p/p switch. Wire the p/p exactly as shown in the diagram, pretend the red wire from the right there, as the plain old neck pup wire that goes to the switch. The p/p is a "in between" deal you could say.

There is only the ONE wire, from the p/p TO the switch.

Then as stated earlier, your neck COIL ground goes to the other side of the 5 w....per BL's diagram

and then the bridge COIL ground as shown, middle left terminal.

9. sjtalon

TBC folks, sorry.

orange and I are pm-ing. I really got him messed up as it's not so straight forward to do the diagram on the left
    because I didn't think at the time that the BL 5 w scheme controls when the neck pup COIL negative is grounded.

We'll need to post the outcome/cure.......... good or bad so someone searching in the future doesn't go down the same slippery sloop :eek:

orange_crush likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.