Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

tele reverse wound PU for hum canceling

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by htloren, Sep 9, 2017.

1. htloren

htloren Tele-Meister

Nov 20, 2013
    Manila
    Hi,

Can't find any info on Fender's website on which Tele bridge pickups are reverse wound. Looking to pair it with a Twisted Tele neck and get some hum cancelling in the middle position.

Will be installing the pickup in '52 reissue.

I believe my Nocaster in another guitar are reverse wound with the bridge, but they are alnico 3. Was hoping to get a greater output, thinking of alnico 5's.

Follow up questions, is the Fender Tele Blackgaurd pick up aka the Broadcaster pickup? Is it reverse wound and will it match the Twisted Tele in output and do hum cancelling in the middle position?

Thanks!

Loren

2. sjtalon

sjtalon Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Most (all) fender necks are NORTH. TT is a north top.

Broadcaster bridge is north.

Noise reducing sets, that would be a SOUTH bridge are:

Custom Shop Nocasters and Texas Special (A V mags).

I have a Tele with the CSTS's and love them. They do have some balls but are still very Tele.
    So that would fit your greater output request.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017

3. htloren

htloren Tele-Meister

Nov 20, 2013
    Manila
    Thanks! So it's just the Nocaster and Texas Specials that have the reverse wound bridge. Got it. Was kinda hoping the Blackguard was reverse wound. Will take a look into the Texas Specials.

Thanks again!

4. sjtalon

You are welcome. You may need to re-read my post, I had done some editing.

5. htloren

htloren Tele-Meister

Nov 20, 2013
    Manila
    Very much appreciated sjtalon! ☺️

6. htloren

htloren Tele-Meister

Nov 20, 2013
    Manila
    Just to be clear, I think I just read somewhere that there are custom shop and non custom shop Texas Specials (I may be mistaken), is it only the CS version that has the reverse wound bridge?

Also, would you happen to know if the neck pickup for the Twisted Tele is North facing?

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017

7. sjtalon

My first post: TT is a north top.

Just to save a long story*, there is truly only ONE Texas Special, and that is the CS.

*The Highway One Texas Tele bridge, is a north top.

8. htloren

htloren Tele-Meister

Nov 20, 2013
    Manila

9. sjtalon

I think that will give you a nice set of pups. Some day I have to try a TT. Sounds like something I might like. Although I have the CSTS and Keystones, I have had a Nocaster set as well and like the clarity of the neck, of all of those. Not muddy like some Tele necks are.

Then the TT gets you even moreso Straty.

So do keep us posted on how things end up.

Happy pickin'

10. htloren

htloren Tele-Meister

Nov 20, 2013
    Manila

11. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Friend of Leo's

May 14, 2008
    Marion, NC
    Fender Tex-Mex bridge is also reverse wound.

12. htloren

htloren Tele-Meister

Nov 20, 2013
    Manila
    I got my ‘52 Thin Skin Tele from Wildwood guitars. It seems that even if the Twisted Tele is not set up for hum cancelling, it still does some hum cancelling with the middle position. Not as deadly quiet as the Nocaster in the same position but still noticeable. A pleasant surprise ;)

13. htloren

htloren Tele-Meister

Nov 20, 2013
    Manila
    I thought the Twisted Tele pickups would be trebly but in a ‘52 AVRi Thin Skin Tele, it sounds fantastic! Got my guitar 2 weeks ago.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.