Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Tele Question

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Emilinconfussion, Aug 16, 2017.

1. Emilinconfussion

Emilinconfussion TDPRI Member

Jul 21, 2017
    Denmark
    Is the Fender MEX '50s Telecaster a good "beginners" guitar? I think it's really cool and sounds awesome

THX GUYS

2. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

Yes. Telecasters are almost always a great choice.

Get the guitar set up by a pro before you start. Later on you can learn how to do it but the first one, get a pro to do it. Doesn't matter if new or used, get a setup.

Have them check the frets with a fret rocker and see if you need a fret level, which will be about twice the setup fee but includes the setup. This makes a guitar play like one 10x the price. Less likely to need it if a new MIM, more likely to need the work if a new/used Squier but then you paid a lot less too. If you have a tight budget, the Rondo and Thomann Tele-copies can be good value, owned by several on this forum.

Archtop Bill and absurdocaster like this.

3. tfarny

tfarny Tele-Holic

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY
    ^what he said^^

4. Emilinconfussion

Jul 21, 2017
    Denmark
    Thanks, hehe. But i dont think i need that much

5. rich815

rich815 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Yes, you do. Or you can blame bad sound on yourself and quit. Make it right. It's worth it.

6. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Holic

Mar 1, 2011
    Beltway, USA
    Here's my take, which differs from above. I've found that many of the Fender Guitars I bouhgt US and MIM) have come setup pretty well and with a little tweaking can be made to play well. If you have any mechanical or technical ability at all, take your newly purchased guitar home with you and do a basic setup yourself, with tools you may already have or come with the guitar. Download/print out Fender's setup guide from Fender.com. It's about six pages. There are also countless Youtube videos on Telecaster setup. Adjust the truss rod, string heights, pickup heights to whatever is recommended for your guitar, then intonate. Neck radius will determine which set of measurements you use. Then practice . . . a lot. If you find yourself fighting the guitar, then think about going to a tech. I've bought guitars, had a full set up done and then decided I didn't like it and sold it. Money down the drain.

kubiakl and AAT65 like this.

7. Emilinconfussion

Jul 21, 2017
    Denmark
    Is it really necessary to do a setup? I mean, the guitar is €750 for new

8. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Holic

Jul 7, 2014
    Belgium
    The only thing with a telecaster that is crucial, is a setup. No matter how cheap or how expensive it is.

9. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    If you're buying out of a store, they should do it for you free, IF NEEDED! It certainly isn't always.

It's not as complicated or labor intensive as you might think, especially since at 750 Euros, because it sure shouldn't need any nut work at that price.

The rest of a set-up is easy. About a half hour worth of work at the most, just using a tiny screwdriver and tiny Allen wrench.

absurdocaster likes this.

10. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Holic

Mar 1, 2011
    Beltway, USA
    I stand by what I wrote above. You can do a basic setup of the checking heights and intonation. If you have fret buzz that can't be eliminated through the aforementioned adjustments, then maybe a fret leveling will be required. Are you buying locally or at least from an independent shop? if so, ask them to include a basic setup in the purchase price. If you can watch, even better. I've bought plenty of guitars that played well out of the box, but of course some will need a little work. A 50s Tele should be good to go.

PigBoy likes this.

11. 10thoufirst

10thoufirst Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Nov 16, 2013
    England
    I think you might!

12. H. Mac

H. Mac Friend of Leo's

May 26, 2012
    Atlanta, Georgia
    MIM Teles, including the 50s, are really good guitars. But they're not limited to being "beginners" guitars. There are a lot of experienced, accomplished players who play and like them.

13. tfarny

tfarny Tele-Holic

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Buy a used one and use the money you saved for the setup. 750 Euros is a lot of money for a first guitar. A cheap guitar with a good setup is much better than a fancy guitar with no setup.

nicod98 and H. Mac like this.

14. Emilinconfussion

Jul 21, 2017
    Denmark
    so i dont need to do a setup on the tele MEX 50s?

15. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    You need to do a setup on any new guitar - even one costing thousands. But not immediately. It's a ways down the list on Learning to tune and play three chords

16. Clifton C

Clifton C Tele-Holic

Aug 26, 2010
    Houston
    The price of the guitar has nothing to do with how well it's set up. I ALWAYS get every guitar I buy, new or used, set up when I first buy it.

Archtop Bill likes this.

17. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Holic

Mar 1, 2011
    Beltway, USA
    In spite of what I've said previously in this thread, it is always possible that the guitar you buy does not come with a adequate setup from the factory. I've just found that most, if not all of the higher end MIM and MIA guitars I've purchased, have. If it makes you feel better, get a basic setup, foregoing fretwork unless necessary.

If buying local, take an experienced player with you who can tell if the guitar needs a setup. I'd also buy used, which saves about 40-50% and will allow funds for a setup if needed. Learning how to make basic adjustment yourself will allow you to tweak the guitar to your style as you progress.

18. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Holic

A setup is necessary on every guitar. Whether it cost $100 or $100,000.

It's like oil in a car. Sure you can go buy any car at any price, but you won't be able to drive it anywhere if you don't put oil in it.
    You can drive for a while with low, or old oil, but eventually that car will stop working.

Without a proper setup, your guitar will not be any fun to play, and eventually it may even become unplayable.

Wherever you buy that MIM 50s tele, tell them to set it up for you. That guitar is a quality professional instrument, much more than just a beginner guitar!

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017

19. kubiakl

kubiakl Tele-Meister

May 9, 2012
    Austin, TX
    Please don't think I'm explaining down to you, but you said beginner's guitar so I want to make sure you're clear on what all is being said here. When I was new to guitar I had no idea what a setup entailed no matter how many times someone threw the word around. If someone had said "YOU MUST GET A SETUP WHEN BUYING A GUITAR" it would probably made me ask the same question you are - "I'm already buying an expensive guitar - why isn't it already set up?"

Wood moves, it bends, it shifts some with climate and humidity changes - a setup is what makes the guitar play well in your climate. It makes the strings easier to fret without the notes choking out or rattling/buzzing, it makes it play in tune all the way up the neck (intonation)... basically it makes the guitar play at its best.

Your guitar will probably play okay right from the start, and if you're a beginner it'll probably work just fine. But a setup will make sure it's at its best so you can focus on playing it. That's all anyone is saying. If you're buying from a shop most will set up the guitar for you as part of the sale so it won't cost you any extra. If not, a setup from a guitar tech isn't very expensive and could be done later on if you wanted to wait.

But as most of the people pointed out a setup will make sure the guitar is playing at its best, which will make it more fun, easier to learn, and better sounding.

That 50s Tele is a great guitar!

mnutz likes this.

20. LKB3rd

LKB3rd Friend of Leo's

Jan 10, 2013
    CT
    It doesn't have to be complicated. The answer to your question is yes, it's a good guitar for anyone, including a beginner. If it plays fine and makes you happy, then play it until such time you decide you need to change anything.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.