Tele Pros, Need Your Help On New Pickups!

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by hotrodkid, Jun 16, 2019.

1. hotrodkid

hotrodkid Tele-Holic

Looking to replace the Tex-Mex pickups which came stock in my 2019 Road Worn Tele. The guitar has an ash body, maple neck and weighs 8 lbs. The bridge pickup is okay when driven but kind of bright but at the same time lacks presence when clean. The neck is way too dark and the middle is just uninspiring.

I wanted to stick with Fender parts and was looking at the Original Vintage set with alnico III magnets. But I have an oppurtunity to get a set of Seymour Duncan Antiquity with almico II magnets. Question is, are the Antiquities worth the double price tag over the Fenders? Anybody try both? Btw I'm primarily a blues player.

2. Orpingtons

Orpingtons Tele-Meister

I love the SD "Vintage Broadcaster" set. They're really good and the price is not that bad. Also, the DiMarzio "Twang King" set is pretty cool, nice price as well.

I hear where you come from, not a fan of those Tex-Mex pickups.

hotrodkid likes this.
  3. Mincer

Mincer Tele-Meister

Antiquities are some of my favorite pickups ever. I would assume you either mean the '55 or the regular Antiquity bridge. I like the '55 a little better because it has more mids. They are a worthy upgrade over any stock pickup.

hotrodkid likes this.
  4. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

This is my modding order:
    -Change pickup heights (generally go as low as possible and raise slightly to best tone)
    -Swap tone pot for a lower uF option, like from 0.047uF to 0.033uF or 0.022uF to 0.01uF
    -Measure volume pot and swap with higher/lower if you want brighter/darker within normal spec (sort a few to find one) or go to the next higher/lower nominal target.
    -0.047uF tone cap in series with an overly muddy pickup hot lead (at the switch is often the most convenient.
    -Only after all the above fail then get a new pickup.

Fluddman, 8barlouie, rich815 and 3 others like this.
  5. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

You want to replace Tex-Mex pickups preferentially with Fender pickups. Tex-Mex pickups lack presence when clean. I had Tex-Mex in mine and replaced them with N4 noiseless and couldn't be happier. They address all of your concerns but one. They're on the expensive side. Get them as a kit with pots. You won't be able to the the 250K pots in your guitar now. Don't use the S1 switch if the control cavity in your Telecaster is divided between the pots and switch. You'll have to remove a lot of wood. Use a 4 way switch instead. Find an American Elite Telecaster to play. It has N4 pickups and your ears will be a much better judge of whether they're the right ones for you than YouTube videos or verbal descriptions of sound from us. Check them out before you buy anything.

6. bravescoob

bravescoob TDPRI Member

Twisted Teles also might be worth considering? Such squish.

LGOberean likes this.
  7. TelePunkJCM

TelePunkJCM Tele-Meister

In general I love Duncan Antiquity pickups.

HBs
    Firebirds
    Jazzmaster
    P90s

But I think Fender currently makes the best Tele pickups for me.

The ones that came stock in ‘52 AVRI are outstanding. Is that the set you are referring to?

The PV ‘64 pickups are also outstanding. So much so that I bought another ‘52 from GC used, knowing it had replacement pickups. I wouldn’t have the heart to pull the amazing stock pickups out. But I have no problem pulling the replacement PUs and swapping a ‘64 set in.

Then I’ll have two of my favorite guitar ever. One with each of my fave Tele pickup sets.

I realize no one in the audience or even my bands can tell the difference. But it will amuse me.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
  8. BigD

BigD Friend of Leo's

Does Rob DiStefano still wind and sell pickups here? If so he could be best most economical option maybe.
    Following

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  9. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

Yes. And this is what I was going to say.

For those who haven't used Rob's pickups before, all the recommendations for Cavalier pickups on this site could just seem like a faddish fan-club, or sucking up to a member of TDPRI. But that is not the case.

I have used lots of different types of Tele pickups, including Seymour Duncan Antiquities, Lollar, Florance, Rumpelstiltskin, and so forth. But I keep coming back to Cavaliers. I don't think the price-tag of any of these other pickup-winders is worth it, compared with the more moderately priced Cavaliers. Especially Seymour Duncan Antiquities. If you contact Rob through PM on the site and tell him what you're looking for, he'll get it done. And it might not even be "on the menu," so to speak. He is willing to do custom-winds for no extra charge.

El Tele Lobo and gkterry like this.
  10. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

If your set on sticking with Fender.

Look at the Nocasters. They're RWRP, unless I'm mistaken.

Other than that, get a Cavalier Nashville Lion/Lion King combo.

11. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

As SPUDCASTER said, if you're sticking with Fender, try the 51 Custom Shop Nocaster set. Or I'd also add the possibility of the '64 Pure Vintage set. These sound quite different from one another, so you'd have to see which sound you'd like.

Telecastoff1 likes this.
  12. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Afflicted

Nocasters.

Telecastoff1 and Skydog1010 like this.
  13. rich815

rich815 Friend of Leo's

My Road Worn tele with stock Tex Mex is one of the best sounding tele’s I've ever played. Many who have heard it played or played it comment very favorably on it. And there are many great comments online about the stock RW tele and the Tex Mex. I’d tweak your pick heights a bit and get some objective opinions from others on your stock rig before you go down the pickup rabbit hole...

TLR_ likes this.
  14. orange_crush

orange_crush TDPRI Member

I'd check out vineham pickups

15. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

I've got OV's in one guitar and a Tex Mex bridge paired with a Duncan Phat Cat neck in another. They all work well for me. I also really like the Van Zandts although I'm not currently using them.

Mincer likes this.
  16. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Agree. If an FMIC product is your primary preference, I like the Twisted Teles. If other brands are considered, I'd go with DiMarzio Twang Kings. In fact, for a new build underway, I am going with Twang Kings.

17. hotrodkid

hotrodkid Tele-Holic

Thanks guys and I'm sure some of these other brands mentioned are great sounding pickups. But I was hoping for some feedback on the tone of the Antiquities.

bravescoob likes this.
  18. TelePunkJCM

TelePunkJCM Tele-Meister

Antiquities are just what they say.

Like a set of Fender pickups from the 50s or 60s.

If you like those sounds you’ll like the Antiquities.

bravescoob and theprofessor like this.
  19. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

If the 64's are like my 58's. They won't be RWRP. But, still a good choice too.

20. Ex-riverman

Ex-riverman Tele-Holic

Vintage 64’s! Beautiful sounds.

bravescoob and El Tele Lobo like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.