Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Tele pickup question

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Marc Morfei, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Meister

Feb 6, 2018
    Philadelphia, PA
    I picked up a used Baja Tele and it has been modded with Seymour Duncan pickups: Vintage Stack in the neck and Lil’ 59 in the bridge. I am wondering how these compare to the stock Baja pickups, which are a Twisted Tele neck pickup and a Broadcaster bridge pickup. Can anyone offer some insight? The seller told me the SDs are quieter (less hum). The SDs do sound pretty good, I will say.Thanks,

2. dmitri

dmitri Tele-Meister

While those SDs are nice pickups, they're not going to really nail a Telecaster tone.

They would be quiet, though.

They'd also sound really good, just different from stock. I'm not really familiar with the Vintage Stack, but the lil59 is lightyears different from a Tele bridge pickup. Thicker, less twang, darker... not bad, just different.

For me, I play a Tele to have it sound like a Tele, so I'd prefer the stock pickups. That said, of you like the sound, I'd not mess with a good thing.

3. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Meister

Feb 6, 2018
    Philadelphia, PA
    Dmitri thanks for your opinion, that is very helpful. Actually, I have a secret agenda. I have another Tele also, an American standard that I like very much except that I'm not crazy about the pickups (American Tele® Single-Coil Pickups). So I'm thinking I could either swap those out for the Seymour Duncans, or for the stock Baja pickups, which I also have sitting here. I don;t know much about electronics, and I don;t know how to solder, so it's not easy for me to pop different pickups in and out of guitars. I feel like I have the ingredients on-hand to make a guitar that's perfect for me, just looking for the easiest path to get there. Therefore opinions of others wiser than me are very helpful!

4. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

For any guitar that doesn't inspire, I first adjust pickup heights, then swap out tone cap, then volume pot, then pickups. From easiest and least expensive to the more expensive.

I'd yank the SDs and put the Baja pickups back in the Baja if you got the originals with it. As for the other guitar I'd go in the stages I noted.

Find harbor fright near you, get a $10 soldering iron, some solder, electrical tape and/or heat shrink tubing, and locate some scrap wire to practice on. Watch a youtube video or three and you'll be there.

5. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Meister

Feb 6, 2018
    Philadelphia, PA
    What does swapping out the pots and cap do? Swap them for what?

6. sjtalon

sjtalon Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

It's called just hang parts.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.