Tele-Paul-Les-Caster builds

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Muzikp, Feb 26, 2012.

1. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

Yeh, the best kept non-secret Gibson ever had..............not like Gibson cared :lol:. To add insult to injury, most players couldn't rip those pups out fast enough to put in DeMarrzio Super Distortions or PAFs and a three-way switch, trying to make it sound like a "Gibson", which it never will no matter what you put in it................that much maple can't be trifled with ;)

Oh, and the final sin it was guilty of, the nut was narrow like a Fender, and it had 24 frets and a cut-away that was actually big enough to reach them :lol:

2. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's

A good friend of mine has a Murauder, I've only heard it once but I recall it sounded really good. Is the pickup the same as the L6-S? This one may not be the original though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's

That's hilarious. I keep all my guitars on the couch too :rolleyes:.

Aside from the staged background that thing sounds incerdible with a HUGE RANGE!!!!. You are on to something Dave. I'd like an all maple tele with that pickup arrangement and wiring in it.

4. Scooby Snax

Scooby Snax Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The pickups in that Marauder are original, the pickups are different than the LS6, which were all single coils. and kind of square or rectangular. I think they sounded different mostly because of the maple body, rather than the pickup themselves. I'd hazard a guess that the selector switch was changed, because that version (same as mine) had a blend pot with a chicken head knob on it.

5. crazydave911

I have seen one online that had a blade humbucker that was original (also a Bill Lawrence creation I'm told) but the three I've seen were exactly like that (and this)

[​IMG]

As you can see, they're essentially just a block of epoxy in a plastic shell, so if they're made bad or go bad, your only option is to use it throw at stray dogs :lol:. To finally answer your question, as far as I know they are basically the same as the L6-S, but they may be a different spec/resistance. That variance is something to contend with in the originals, some are great, some are good, and a few are dog poo :lol:.
    The thing about these, once you become bewitched by these, you get addicted to search engines and doing your homework. And you learn RIGHT quick to not bookmark pages only..............you copy test and you download pictures, because this stuff comes and goes faster than a politician's morals :lol:. Mine are stored on a flash drive ;) :lol:

6. crazydave911

The ones in mine are humbuckers, 3 wire, one in the black sleeve, two
    in the red sleeve.............just saying :)

[​IMG]

EDIT: Just measured my neck pup, interestingly (and I should have realized from the schematic), the two blacks are hot wires, two reds are from the positive side of the pickups, and one red is a bridge ground. But pulling the pickup out, the bottom is just like the one in the pics I posted above, two rows of six polepieces, and three ceramic magnets, one thick in the middle, two thin ones on the outside. Only two wires, but a humbuker :)

7. bellytelly

bellytelly Tele-Meister

deleted

8. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

Yup,

A traditional humbucker will have two wires or weirder yet, one shielded wire where the shielding is used as ground. That worked but as a Fender guy I like to see one black cloth covered wire and one white cloth covered wire.
    :)

Rob

9. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's

Yep I don't like the braided shielded part as a ground concept either. I'm always worried I melted the inner wire while soldering the shielded part to a pot. I like two separate cloth covered wires.

10. crazydave911

Good point, and it makes for an interesting idea................if these L6 humbuckers were remade/re imagined, they could have the cloth-covered wires...............AND a different string spacing on the pole-pieces.............say like a Fender string spacing :twisted:
    The Gibsons are 2" string spacing, but I would think if the magnet specs and resistance were kept close it wouldn't matter a darn. Hmmmmmmmm
    Gonna take some depth measurements when I get a chance, to see what the slug length is ;)

11. Barncaster

Hey Dave,

Using blades like the Firebird pup makes string spacing irrelevant. Great concept but was probably too expensive for Leo's taste. Are you going to rewind your pups?

Rob

12. Justjammin

Justjammin Tele-Meister

Wow! I never expected to find this discussion in this thread, Thanks Crazy Dave.
    I have a 75 L6-S, Black with the Ebony fretboard. I paid $200 for it brand new and have always cherrished it. Mine is bone stock and the discussion about the neck pickup is going to send me out to the woodshed to see if that is that case with mine, as it doesn't get that much play time anymore. The vids have given me the itch though. I seem to have enjoyed the #2 + #5 positions the most.

13. crazydave911

Uh.........Rob, it's a Gibson pup :), but your point is relevant nonetheless. The only thing I'd be afraid of trying to remake an L6-S pup with blades is the tone. These things are ..........."glassy" (prob due to the ceramic magnets) is the word, without being harsh. I suppose, if you got the blades thick enough (maybe thin enough), and kept the 3 ceramic mag configuration, it could work fine, but man the number of prototypes :eek:

Oh HECK no! :lol:, mine sound exactly like those in the video you like. Not to mention being epoxy potted, there's no taking it apart (I've tried on these pups that are in Marauders). The bobbins are black plastic, so hot enough to melt the epoxy, melts the bobbin ;). On the two I tried (since the Marauder pup doesn't have metal covers like mine), the only good part left was the bottom mounting plate, the magnets, and the pole-piece slugs (in storage where I can't measure them, drat it!) :neutral:

14. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's

Well a psuedo update on the TelePaulLesCaster's. A "real" guitar player took the orange one for a spin, went like this

Those are the Barncaster Firebird pups chiming away in there. I posted this in the Barncaster thread where he documented the pickup build but thought I'd just keep it all here for whatever reason.

15. crazydave911

Now THAT, is sweet! ;), don't know why, but I was getting major Ventures vibe on that. Wow, Rob..................major kudos! :D

16. Bentley

Bentley Friend of Leo's

Now you know that is my favourite guitar. You're just evil to let me hear how amazing it is!

17. Barncaster

Hey James,

The guitar sounds really good. Is that the same guy that demoed it at your house? The picture in the avatar looks different. Anyway, is he happy with your creation? He seems it!

Rob

18. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's

No different guy. It's a good friend of the guy who owns the orange one, he was nice enough to spend some time and record that for us. That thing sounds great, now I know why I miss it. I only played it live once and I recall being really happy with it...oh well, maybe the LP will turn out ok.

19. JeffPBlues

JeffPBlues Tele-Holic

Wow! I gotta get me some of those pups!

20. Barncaster

Ah yes James,

The pain of running a guitar adoption agency :(

Rob

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.