Tele-Paul-Les-Caster builds

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Muzikp, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

Hey James,

Did you put it in the black Tele? I thought you might do that. ;-)

Rob

2. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

I take it you didn't like the look of the GFS adapter rings :lol:

BTW, speaking of the magnetic field, I was wondering on the Novack pups what that strip was made from the screws are in..............hmmmm

3. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's

I did look at the rings. But I like the stealthy firebird in a P90 enclosure better. And I've already made my own humbucker to firebird conversion rings that came out surprisingly cool so I figured I could do that again if needed.

I was wondering the same thing about the strip in the middle. That's sorta what made me think there was more room inside the P90 cover since the middle strip in Novack's is much thicker than the middle strip in Rob's. I can't understand what the two bare wires soldered to the backplate are in Novack's though. I'm sure Rob knows.

At any rate if I were making a LP pup route template tomorrow I bet it would get a P90 cavity in it.

4. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's

Here's my weight relief concept. Now I'm not much to fall for hype about random things affecting tone, but for those that are...my concept here was that consistency in the holes should help tone/sustain :rolleyes:. So the idea was to make sure no two relief holes were closer than 1/4" to each other and none were closer than 1/4" to a cavity, edge of body or bridge post etc. I have two size holes .75" and .5". I could probably relieve more weight if I violated the 1/4" rule.

Anybody have any thoughts or theories on weight relieved LP's? Think I should add a .25" hole to the equasion and fit it in the tighter areas?

[​IMG]

I do like having CAD for concepts like this.

5. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's

And it works with the stealth Firebird P90 concept as well.

[​IMG]

6. Barncaster

Hey Dave,

That black plastic block appears to be the center section of a standard bobbin. The screws would then be threaded into the metal insert below. I like what Curtis does. He has imagination.

Rob

7. Barncaster

I bet Gil could weigh in on this one.

8. Bentley

Bentley Friend of Leo's

I think if Gil came he'd know a thing or two about Les Pauls, but I think that a bunch of holes would work great, plus who doesn't like using Forstner bits?

9. Barncaster

I just put in a big Stew Mac P90 order. This could be fun!

10. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's

Yep he's a heavy hitter when it comes to LP's.

Right, even I can make a hole in something :p

What comes around goes around...that reminds me I need to... :D.

11. kwerk

kwerk Poster Extraordinaire

I won't go near any arguments about tonal qualities, but I wonder why you wouldn't go for a more effective (in terms of weight relief) cavity rout? If you think about it, the series of holes will relieve you of a narrow broom handle's worth of whatever body wood you make it from.

12. crazydave911

What were you thinking of as a body wood? If your thinking the traditional mahogany, why not relieve the weight the same way you did your challenge build (been meaning to talk to you about that one, I may have a fix for your playability issues, but need to know more detailed info--shoot me a PM on those when you get the time :))? Just drilling holes still leaves a LOT of meat there, I tried that with mahogany once and didn't gain/lose much :lol:.

13. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's

I see your point and I think you are correct, the broom handle is a great way to think of it (not much weight savings). But I've seen enough LP purists go ballistic when you chamber an LP that I thought for this experimental build I'd try to keep them a little less ballistic, you know more like a smoldering smoke bomb type of rage.

Yep going for a fairly accurate build here as far as materials go. Mahogany, maple cap etc. etc. Knowing me though when I see the weight of the body I'll be making some chamber templates in an instant.

I should compare the weight of these two templates.

[​IMG]

Corian is really dense and heavy, I'm sure I could accurately figure out the surface area of each template in CAD and then extrapolate the density of the hypotenuse of the cavities dividing by the square meter of the radial grain patterns....oy! I think I just like the holes for some reason :lol:.

14. crazydave911

A slow, hanging curveball................nope, ain't swingin' ;)

BTW, regarding the L6-S pickups, I've been doing some digging. For one thing, I've known for awhile you could wire other pickups with that six-way switch and the mid and treble control (obviously :lol:). But this guy shows how to do it and how to wire your own inductor for the midrange control LINK ;)

Also, per the pickups themselves, there is a HIGHLY optimistic guy on Ebay asking $179.00 for one of them, with the bottom mounting bracket missing! :eek:
    Now while I think he will possess it for sometime................he did perform one good service.............he posted detailed pics :D. It is the kind that had only two mounting screws and metal cover like mine, but with the bottom missing the details are somewhat clearer (hey Rob! :lol:). Bill Lawrence not only used ceramic magnets, he used three in each pup.They are very shallow pups and this gives them great power for their size. Enough of that, here are the pics ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see, not wound very hot. Mine are a little hotter at about 6K (bridge) and 6.81K (neck), but these variations seem to be common for the old Norlin quality control, which explains why some were divine and others blew chunks :). They are epoxy potted as you can see, right in the cover (like Rob's mini buckers :)........hmmm). BTW, the bottom missing mounting plate (brass) were soldered on (mine are).
    You may not be too interested ATM (other irons in the fire :lol:), but I thought I'd post this stuff as I dig it up.
    Good luck with your templates, they seem free of sin..................being holy and all :D

Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
  15. Scooby Snax

Scooby Snax Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Speaking to Norlin quality, my Mauauder's neck p/u was by no means as good as the bridge.
    The bridge was awesome, but the bridge was weak... shame.

16. crazydave911

The neck was weak? ;)

Yeh, it wasn't enough that Bill Lawrence was designing the "anti-Gibson" (still hated by Gibby purists all over), but Norlin made sure that was as badly executed as possible (shades of the Fender Swinger & Maverick :lol:). The three (yeh count 'em) piece body of my blond L6 are at a 25 degree angle to the centerline :rolleyes:
    I'll bet your neck humbucker had a shorted winding on one of the bobbins. I've only ever seen three, two of which had this problem :rolleyes:. Unfortunately due to the epoxy potting, you can't really melt the epoxy out to fix it without melting the bobbins too (ask me how I know :lol:)

17. Scooby Snax

Scooby Snax Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I always felt that I should have got more out of the hum bucker, but that, bridge was to die for. I think it had more balls than a strat, but in a different tone.

18. Barncaster

Hey Dave,

Thanks for the great pictures of an unusual pup. Bill's mind is always working to come up with cool and unusual stuff. In looking at those pictures I'm just wondering why he didn't simplify things like Leo and use rod magnets. Maybe it was less expensive to use slugs and ceramics. Then again, there will never be any shortage of bar magnets and slugs in the Gibson factory. The single magnet down the middle is classic Seth Lover stuff but the outside magnets are obviously "boosters" as those covers are packed full and those edge areas seem to have been the last bit of unclaimed real estate in there. A very cool configuration that would have resulted in a very low, wide and evenly distributed magnetic field and probably made for a thick yet detailed sound due to the wide magnetic field and low winds involved. I've never heard one Dave. How does it sound?

The P-90s with Firebird innards is going to be a fun project. I always thought the Firebirds sounded like quiet P-90s. Two sets of parts coming :)

Rob

19. crazydave911

I posted a vid a few back showing how the controls work with the sounds, but just found this one of a dead-mint L6-S. It's to dieeeee for :D. Folks hated these things because they didn't sound like Les Pauls................I love them because they don't ;). After all, Bill wasn't trying to build another LP, it already existed :)

EDIT: It greatly grieves me to know, mine once looked like this :(

I found another.........same guy :D

20. Barncaster

Wow Dave!

A very cool guitar with lots of tones.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.