Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Tele passed down from Mum who bought new in 50s. Ideas?

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by randallp, Aug 24, 2016.

1. randallp

randallp TDPRI Member

Aug 12, 2010
    SW Florida
    Well, the missus has everything stripped off it now - you can really see a bit more. We are awaiting more ancient family pics of the guitar from the late 50s.
    There's a local guitar luthier who has advised her to put a new Fender body on it. I'm not sure that would be right. So we dither some more!
    IMG_2213.JPG IMG_2214.JPG IMG_2215.JPG IMG_2216.JPG

IMG_2213.JPG

2. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    That alder body has been much abused, hasn't it? There really isn't much to save.....somebody ruined it. The worst thing about it is that they ruined the lines of the body. IF the neck pocket area looked correct, I would say finish it and make it a guitar. AS it is, I don't like the looks of the body in that area. I suppose a person could add material and reshape that neck pocket so that with a pickguard the guitar would look correct. Nah....it is a sad case...I might agree with the fellow who said to get a new body.

3. tap4154

tap4154 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Southern California
    I think I'd try to make it look like that pic on the tee vee again. Part of your family history.

Wallo Tweed likes this.

4. randallp

randallp TDPRI Member

Aug 12, 2010
    SW Florida
    The guitar (from the neck) is a 57 - my wife (bottom right - about 5 yrs old) is now 63 and remembers her mum bringing it home new as it looks here. So this pic of the guitar was taken when it was about 3yrs old. None of the kids were really old enough to start routing and hacking. Has anyone seen a scratch guard like this one?

IMG_0008.jpg

5. Tedzo

Tedzo TDPRI Member

Jul 1, 2016
    Georgetown, Ca
    Looks like a Redwood body to me......I've worked with Redwood for about 40 years now. Even if it was Alder, this too is a really soft wood.
    No offense, but I would invest in a stock ash body. Redwood is very soft and the machining on this body looks pretty rough.o_O

116.jpg

6. Wally

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    Randall, having been in this business for over 25 years, I have heard a lot of stories. Some of them can be supported by the reality of the instrument....some can't. That picture speakers volumes, imho and ime. The instrument in the picture may have appeared new and as it left the factory to your dear mother, but I am going to doubt that any guitar ever left the Fender factory looking like that unless some worker carried some pieces out 'one piece at a time' as Johnny Cash sang and assembled their own version of a Telecaster.
    Now, IF a person could establish that this was some sort of one of a kind prototype; THEN a person has something. That would take provenance...pictures of the guitar in the Fender factory with Fender employees....and maybe Leo Fender...in the picture.
    I take it that that is your uncle proudly holding that guitar...great joy in that picture. IF that were my family picture and I had the guitar, it gets put back to looking just like that picture shows it.

7. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Holic

Nov 21, 2016
    Rhode Island
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/252746774952

Put the old body in a drawer. Set it up w this. Neck, pups, electronics the whole deal except the body. You'll need a relic pickguard too.
    Then make sure it never leaves the family! My .02.

jimash likes this.

8. skydog6653

skydog6653 Tele-Meister

Jan 10, 2013
    Lowell, Indiana
    IMG_2265.JPG
    Does your car have a 710 cap? :)

9. randallp

randallp TDPRI Member

Aug 12, 2010
    SW Florida
    Another more revealing pic from the past that arrived today.

16602627_10155046021884936_2092621522810132542_n.jpg

Piotr likes this.

10. Telegnosis

Telegnosis TDPRI Member

Jun 9, 2012
    Expat in Asia
    If the body happens to be original you can take it to a luthier who has templates and then restore the shapes, and dimensions by adding wood. You may not be able to finish it in a natural, the additions might be seen. If it's not original but you want the nostalgia then this could still be an option.

hrstrat57 likes this.

11. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    Neat story!

I'm going with no way that's an original fender body. I'd like to see more detail on the neck.

It looks to me like somebody made a body to fit a tele neck, and did a bunch of experiments with different pickups and put that funky odd pickguard on there.

If It were mine I'd either buy a new tele body, put the old neck on it and play it

or try to restore it to what you can see in the pictures

hrstrat57 likes this.

12. dobrojoe

dobrojoe Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Feb 11, 2017
    England
    It has been ruined, IMHO. The body is wrong, the pickguard is wrong, the bridge is wrong, the output jack socket is wrong. What you have there is a neck and a partscaster.

13. Wally

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    IMHO, what Randall has is a piece of family history. I would be inclined to keep it just like it is...it is a Familycaster.

Huddy, Andy B, Teleterr and 3 others like this.

14. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    So someone made a homemade body in the late 1950s/early 60s. Possibly bought it like that. It doesn't even look the right size if you check out how the control plate looks on the first page. Worth 20-30$, probably should not even have bothered stripping the paint.

I would do the opposite of what was recommended: get a neck for it and paint the body, it might be a cool instrument if you like it.

If the neck is real, it would be worth something.

15. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Holic

Nov 21, 2016
    Rhode Island
    Still super interesting thread!!

16. dobrojoe

dobrojoe Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Feb 11, 2017
    England

17. Telegnosis

Telegnosis TDPRI Member

Jun 9, 2012
    Expat in Asia

18. MrYeats

MrYeats TDPRI Member

Jan 27, 2016
    Texas Coast
    I thought it looked like pine wood.

19. kingoflimbs

kingoflimbs Tele-Meister

Sep 8, 2011
    New Jersey

20. Commodore 64

Commodore 64 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 1, 2010
    Kent, OH
    Necrothread, I know. But I missed it then and saw it now. Really cool piece of family history. I read the whole thread. And I second pretty much everything Wally said, FWIW. :D

If I had that neck, I'd put together a partscaster and play it thoroughly.

Is it possible that someone garbage picked a cast-off in the alley behind the Fender Factory in in 1957?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.