Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Tele passed down from Mum who bought new in 50s. Ideas?

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by randallp, Aug 24, 2016.

1. randallp

randallp TDPRI Member

Aug 12, 2010
    SW Florida
    My wife was taught to play guitar on her Mom's Tele back in 1961. Her Mom had owned it for a while.
    Her brothers have used it since and decided that she (as youngest sibling) should have it so they just gave it to her. It just arrived today and looks to me as if it didn't originally have the "usual" tele pickguard. Someone has spray painted (eek!) where what was there originally (you can see a slight indent) has been removed and replaced with an ill-fitting regular pickguard.

Removed the neck and on the end is LS-8 handwritten. ** Edit - hah - looking at the pic upside down it might also be 8-57? **

I attach some pics - if anyone can help id it and advise what she should do with it. It plays and sounds lovely.

Attached Files:

Telegraphonic likes this.

2. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

That's not LS-8 its 8-57. If its a 57 is should have a vintage bridge on it which has 3 piece steel saddles not the 6 you have.So its the original bridge has been replaced at sometime.
    The original pickguard would have been a one layer white five screws attaching it to the body. No middle screw one the bass side of the pickguard. The strap buttons have been replaced and are not the type we should see on a 57 tele.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
    brogh likes this.

3. randallp

randallp TDPRI Member

Aug 12, 2010
    SW Florida
    57 sounds right based on my wife's age when she learnt on it. It's had a hard life I'm sure. Who know if any of the hardware is original. Someone has replaced the machine heads (ivory buttons) with Grovers but they are in the (original black fibreboard stitched) case still. Did all teles have the modern scratch plate shape?

4. brogh

brogh Super Moderator Staff Member

Jun 26, 2010
    italy
    Yup and there should be markings also in the neck pocket, which don't seem to be there, but a pic from another angle might help.

The bridge cound hav been replaced so as the saddles, getting taht pickguard off maybe would help to have some more clues !

That paint job .. brrr scaryyyyyy

Hope it helps !

deadbeat son likes this.

5. randallp

randallp TDPRI Member

Aug 12, 2010
    SW Florida
    Brogh - yes there is a partially visible marking on the neck in the pocket but a sliver of the body wood is adhering to it and obscuring it. Loath to disturb in case in messes up the action but I might see what I can do with a razor blade. I'll remove the pickguard tomorrow.

6. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

It should look like this:

57 tele pickguard.jpg

7. brogh

Jun 26, 2010
    italy
    HEy, no don't scrape anything, try at first to post a picture without touching anything :)

cheers !

8. randallp

randallp TDPRI Member

Aug 12, 2010
    SW Florida
    Here's the neck with body sliver adhering

Attached Files:

9. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

The bridge has definitely been replaced:

It lacks the Fender Pat.

Here is a picture of the control cavities and what the actual 57 tele bridge looks like:

a1957telecaster11.jpg

Also:

The neck plate should also have the serial number stamped on it generally this number range : 17000-24999 with a dash (-) or the number "0" in front of the serial number.

10. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

brogh likes this.

11. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2014
    Northeast PA
    No bueno on that output jack, too...

Pups look way too clean to be original, IMHO

12. brogh

Jun 26, 2010
    italy
    The truss rod end looks incouraging :)

13. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

The bridge pickup has been replace with a non original pup. The 57 had raised pole pieces for the D and G strings. The op's pup pole pieces are flat or flush with the pickup bobbin.

14. randallp

randallp TDPRI Member

Aug 12, 2010
    SW Florida
    It's been well hacked about and messed with by three brothers over 50 years!
    What should she do with it? Is it worth anything?

15. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

Worth more apart than together but now lets talk about the emotional factor that can't be quantified with money. Its mom's and she gave it to her daughter I say keep it, enjoy it, play it maybe slowly restore it a piece at a time.

My .02 cents

16. toomuchfun

toomuchfun Tele-Holic

Feb 9, 2014
    NE US
    I bought a 1956 Tele in similar shape last year for 2 grand after convincing myself it was real, and am happy with mine.

I'm a little skeptical about the body, in the shot showing the control plate and bridge there is no flat area along the edge of the body at the input jack. Maybe someone sanded it smooth but that is a problem. I also think it's been refinished (not a huge deal) but I'd like to see a shot of the body under the pickguard and at the rear of the cavity the controls are in where the screw hole is. If you can take them I can tell you if it could be an original body. And please upload them as full size images instead of thumbnails, a big help.

An old neck like that feels so good, if there are players in the family what a legacy.

dobrojoe, jondanger and Flakey like this.

17. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

Dec 8, 2010
    Montreal
    If it plays well leave it alone IMO, except maybe find a better fitting pickguard if possible. I have a 68 bought new & refinished a couple of years later as I was getting bored on a hotel gig at 40 below in Northern Ontario, couldn't really go for a walk...

Recently put in a modern pickguard - got lucky and found one in town that fit. The original was cut for a humbucker at one point but I've gone back to the original configuration so needed a new one. I don't hear any difference in sound with the p/u mounted on the p/g instead of screwed into the body plus the adjustment is easier. Also went from a 6 saddle brass Badass bridge back to the original 3.

From what I've seen mine is worth around $3,500 or more - would imagine something from the Fifties if it's authentic would go for $5K to $7K or more but just a guess as it's missing pickups, p/g and finish, maybe also other parts under the hood. Check eBay and remember that the asking prices are usually too high...

Flakey likes this.

18. dsutton24

dsutton24 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Dec 29, 2010
    Illinois
    It definitely has value, probably several thousand dollars. All original guitars from that era bring $10,000 plus, but all original sixty year old guitars are rare.

19. eMGee

eMGee Friend of Leo's

Sorry, the body looks like a homemade replacement. Not really accurate at all.

Freewheeler, 63telemaster and Flakey like this.

20. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire

May 11, 2007
    Toronto
    Yeah, the pick guard is almost too big to even fit on the body, and the area where neck and body meet is also wonky. But, could be that waaaaaay too much wood was taken off for the "refinish".

Neck looks pretty good, but the decal and around the tuners are over sprayed.

Cheers,
    Geoff

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.