Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Tele "partscaster" with potential '53 body and 70's neck

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by dbsheajr, Jan 11, 2018.

1. PelhamSG

PelhamSG Tele-Meister

Aug 22, 2017
    chicago
    My 2 cents... if the pickups are original, then YES go for it. if not, I wouldn't bother.

dbsheajr likes this.

2. chomps

chomps TDPRI Member

Sep 8, 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA
    More pics of the body routes please. A lot more we can tell from close up pics of the body. Include some pics of the end

dbsheajr likes this.

3. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    The body is difficult. The ferrules did vary but were usually in a line. The neck & hardware looks like 70s Tele. Neck pick not sure.

Value? Even going by 70's parts definitely worth it

dbsheajr and hrstrat57 like this.

4. dbsheajr

dbsheajr TDPRI Member

Jan 11, 2018
    Winston-Salem, NC
    There is prob no way for me to determine that the pickups are original. There's no doubt in my mind that they are old/vintage though.

FWIW, I tested it through a Fender Frontman 15-watt solid state amp (the only amp available at that time) with no effects and it sounded pretty sweet. Much better than the tone I thought I would get through a SS amp.

5. dbsheajr

dbsheajr TDPRI Member

Jan 11, 2018
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Here are all of the pics I have that showcase the body. Some of them may have been posted previously.

body_cavities_1.JPG body_cavities_2.JPG body_rear_1.JPG body_width_1.JPG bridge_cavity_1.JPG neck_plate_1.JPG

BorderRadio and t guitar floyd like this.

6. Seasicksailor

Seasicksailor Tele-Afflicted

Jun 26, 2012
    Bristol UK
    You still haven't sealed the deal? What's wrong with you? :p

dbsheajr and Smiff like this.

7. dbsheajr

dbsheajr TDPRI Member

Jan 11, 2018
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Meeting him at 5p today. ;)

8. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Afflicted

Nov 21, 2016
    Rhode Island
    Agree, huge.

For a LP Studio?

dbsheajr likes this.

9. chomps

chomps TDPRI Member

Sep 8, 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I think it is looking very much like a real 1953 body. Neck pocket writing looks correct. It would be nice to see a D stamp there too, but not every '53 had them. It's tough to see in the photos, but I think I'm seeing two correct "dowel holes" on the back of the body. If you don't know what they are, research before 5pm. They must be there for it to be genuine. Bridge pickup route looks correct to me. Again, tough to see, but I think I'm seeing correct (partially filled) "nail holes" on the body top horn and beside the neck pickup. Body string holes on the back are unusually rough, but maybe someone was hung over that day. To me the body it is looking really good. Even if it were sanded, the body thickness is correct, so they didn't take off much. A one piece body would have been rare in '53, but much more common in '54. Check the end grains to see, but it wouldn't be a deal breaker to me. The bridge plate and pups looks later to me, but probably still vintage Fender. When you add in the 70s neck, this is a no brainer. Go get that guitar!

10. Smiff

Smiff Tele-Holic

Oct 1, 2017
    UK
    What’s occurring then? Google tells me it’s well after 5PM in Winston-Salem, NC :lol:

I’ve never been as excited about a poster’s NGD as this one.

dbsheajr likes this.

11. dbsheajr

dbsheajr TDPRI Member

Jan 11, 2018
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Home sweet home with her sisters.

DF48D5DD-7212-42B3-8129-F1FA213CFF65.jpeg

12. LowThudd

LowThudd Friend of Leo's

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    Nice!

FWIW, from my totally non-expert opinion, the cut away looks like someone tried to articulate it some, and then match the upper bout angle to it. Also, for the lower horn, it could have been dented, and then sanded to smooth it out.

Nice guitar, whatever parts are OG or not. I am jealous.

telemnemonics and dbsheajr like this.

13. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
    Cool. I hope you all don't claim moral high ground in the next 'what would you do if you saw a 59 Les Paul at a yard sale' thread.

Good score. I don't know if I could have done it without letting the guy know he was getting the short end of the stick.

Still, guitar looks great. How about some clipage?

14. dbsheajr

dbsheajr TDPRI Member

Jan 11, 2018
    Winston-Salem, NC
    I tried to upload a clip into the web browser from my phone. I got a message that the file size was too large. The clip was only about 15 seconds, LOL.

My band has a show tonight, so I’ll try again this weekend.

LowThudd likes this.

15. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars TDPRI Member

Apr 15, 2017
    ...playing in traffic
    BIN.

Don't wait one more minute.

The only ones worth getting are the ones that look like a mess from being worked on around being played to death.

Good you got it. I wrote the post gefore I read the 2nd page. There is fun in the near future with this guitar.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    dbsheajr likes this.

16. MickM

MickM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Whew! I was waiting for the old "decided against......." If both parties happy, "good trade".

dbsheajr likes this.

17. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
    Just put it on YouTube and link here. That's what I do.

dbsheajr likes this.

18. Smiff

Smiff Tele-Holic

Oct 1, 2017
    UK
    Congrats. That’s really cool.

dbsheajr likes this.

19. Seasicksailor

Seasicksailor Tele-Afflicted

Jun 26, 2012
    Bristol UK
    I appreciate the sentiment and thought. Having said that, from the seller's description, it sounds like they knew what they were doing. They knew what they had.

dbsheajr, telemnemonics and hrstrat57 like this.

20. Smiff

Smiff Tele-Holic

Oct 1, 2017
    UK
    Yeah from what the OP posted; the seller knew exactly what they had. If they hadn’t played it for 10 years, then it was no use to them I guess.

It’s just one of those amazing deals that comes along once or twice in a lifetime.

dbsheajr likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.