Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Tele Partscaster Neck

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by JORear, Sep 3, 2017.

1. JORear

JORear Tele-Meister

Jun 11, 2017
    Alabama
    I'm looking at necks to purchase for a build. I was leaning toward a Fender Telecaster replacement neck from the Fender website for $199. Should i look at a licensed replacement neck like Mighty Might and save $100? I would not never sale the neck. It would be used as a tool for future builds. What would you suggest and why?

IronSchef likes this.

2. acrylicsuperman

acrylicsuperman Tele-Holic

Nov 17, 2010
    Arizona
    My experience with the mighty mite necks were that they took some extra work. If you have the means and are capable, definitely doesnt hurt to save some money.

3. Strebs

Strebs Tele-Meister

Dec 24, 2015
    Birmingham, AL
    My only problem with the Mighty Mite necks are the plastic truss rod plug. They're on a lot of guitars and are functionally fine, but my personal taste doesn't allow for one. For the same or slightly better quality, an Allparts TRO would be my choice. 10 degree fretboard with tall vintage frets. It has the heel truss rod adjust (which some people hate, but I think looks nice), is made in Japan, and is good quality.

El Tele Lobo likes this.

4. lammie200

lammie200 Tele-Holic

Jan 11, 2013
    San Francisco
    I agree with Strebs. Mighty Mite makes the cheapest Fender Lic. necks, but mostly as replacements for the cheaper Asian import model guitars. Allparts is a step up from Mighty Mite IMHO. That said, there is an outfit on Ebay that dresses the frets of Mighty Mite necks with a neck purchase. I bought one and was really pleased with the work.

5. IronSchef

IronSchef Tele-Meister

Mar 12, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI
    One thing to keep in mind if you are considering using a Fender replacement neck - if you have nut files and can do this, it may not be a big deal for you ... "The nut is pre-slotted with "pilot" string location grooves to make spacing a breeze when performing the final string slot filing"

I have never used an All-parts or Might-mite or other "licensed" necks, so I don't know (those might require same work?).

I have always used necks from the eBay "chop shops" for parts caster builds. I know, they buy new guitars in bulk, and tear them apart to sell off bits of them - :eek::eek::eek: - but I can get a "new other" neck, finished how I choose, with tuners, that really is going to be "plug and play"!! Its worth looking into :)

telemnemonics likes this.

6. JORear

JORear Tele-Meister

Jun 11, 2017
    Alabama
    Thank you for the advise. I believe I will purchase a new Fender neck. I can use it for future projects.

7. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    You can get an Allparts neck from The Stratosphere for $115 plus shipping. They're pretty nice.

8. TeleTucson

TeleTucson Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Aug 6, 2016
    Tucson, AZ
    Why buy it from Fender? When MF has one of their sales you can get a Fender neck for 15% off (sometimes even 20%), no tax, no shipping.

9. Strebs

Strebs Tele-Meister

Dec 24, 2015
    Birmingham, AL
    Doesn't MF usually exclude Fender products?

10. elyuyi

elyuyi Tele-Meister

Feb 13, 2011
    San Juan, PR
    Yes, they are not allow discount on website, but if you call they will apply discount.

TeleTucson likes this.

11. Lefty Addams

Lefty Addams Tele-Holic

May 6, 2012
    England
    It's all about quality at the end of the day, I would play safe and get the Fender one imo

12. adamgdog

adamgdog Tele-Meister

Apr 5, 2017
    Louisville

13. JORear

JORear Tele-Meister

Jun 11, 2017
    Alabama
    The discount does not apply.

14. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    My Fender cab was discounted 50 bucks, not too long ago.

15. Dc1986

Dc1986 NEW MEMBER!

Sep 5, 2017
    Uk
    IMG_0970.JPG IMG_1345.JPG IMG_1351.JPG IMG_1399.JPG Example of allparts neck, allmost slab.

El Tele Lobo and Strebs like this.

16. guitarguy1992

guitarguy1992 Tele-Meister

Nov 17, 2015
    Kentucky
    I went with a warmoth and I couldn't be happier. I believe the shop that assembled the guitar did a light fret dressing or something but it looks/feels awesome. Oh and I got it for only $165. Check their screaming deal section! Satin nitro tinted/rosewood board, TUSQ pre cut nut? I said yes

Widerange Hum likes this.

17. neoj4zz

neoj4zz TDPRI Member

Feb 17, 2012
    Chicago Burbs
    I love warmoth necks simply because there's less work to do and I can get them in a fat size. The allparts neck is a really nice choice too if you have the time to fuss with the nut, tuners, and drilling.

18. dbickford

dbickford Tele-Afflicted

Jan 24, 2012
    Morgan, Vermont
    I'm in the Warmoth boat too. I've gotten a couple Screamin Deals off their site.
    The easiest deal is a Roasted Maple neck with either a rosewood or Roasted maple fretboard. $197. Another $20 will get you a nut. No finish required. Just burnish the neck thru 2000 grit. I love mine. All three of them.

El Tele Lobo likes this.

19. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    You didn't say but I guess we assume you have a set of nut files since you want the new Fender neck that needs a nut cut.
    I'd agree with most posts that put Mighty mite below other lic necks, but I'd put Allparts necks above MIM Fender necks, and note that Allparts necks are built by a MIJ factory that built MIJ Fenders, very nice quality necks, favorites of many players.

Yeah too bad those butcher shops part out Fender guitars, but Fender guitars are parts guitars to begin with, so Stratosphere would be a pretty good choice and you'll get a ready to play neck with properly cut nut, as well as seeing the one you buy before buying it.
    That is big for me, I don't want somebody else picking the product for me if it's made of wood, because wood varies and I want grain that runs parallel with the neck, and preferably is flat sawn.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.