Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

tele P90 bridge?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by scubadoo, Jul 12, 2008.

1. scubadoo

scubadoo Tele-Afflicted

Apr 1, 2008
    Bristol, UK
    Do these exist? I had a look on Stewmac and allparts and couldn't find one.

2. JasonRobert

JasonRobert Tele-Holic

if you mean a tele bridge with the pup cutout for a p90, then I havent seen one. I have seen the pickup hole part of the bridge cut off, and the p90 mounted straight to the body. Or you could get a tele bridge with a humbucker hole cut out, and use a humbucker sized p90.

3. esteban

esteban Tele-Afflicted

Apr 4, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Isn't a P90 wider than a Tele bridge? Prolly be easier to get a Strat-type hardtail bridge.

4. moondogz

moondogz Tele-Holic

5. scubadoo

scubadoo Tele-Afflicted

Apr 1, 2008
    Bristol, UK
    Yeah, that's what i planned on doing if i couldn't find one, i just wanted to keep a similar look to a standard tele. Thanks

6. Southern Ill

Southern Ill Banned

Jan 28, 2008
    Illinois
    This is the way to go......

[​IMG]
    Another Creston masterpiece.

hellopike likes this.

7. scubadoo

scubadoo Tele-Afflicted

Apr 1, 2008
    Bristol, UK

I'm not sure now, maybe it looks odd being wider than the bridge?

8. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I've looked as well, over a long time. No luck.

The best solution is the one used on the gorgeous Creston guitar.

Cut down plate in brass ( or steel ) from Taipantone, and a custom cut body from Tommy Rosamond at USACG might be you best sources to do it yourself.

9. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Get a bucker Tele Bridge, Cut it, and that would be as wide. P-90 is a very wide PUP.

But you will still have a little to narrow pole spacing, no? Look at the sweet copper Tele [that needs a black guard. ;)] and the string to pole placment. [sorry to pick on your nice copper Tele]

Attached Files:

10. fungusyoung

fungusyoung Tele-Afflicted

Aug 8, 2004
    CT & PA

11. Southern Ill

Southern Ill Banned

Jan 28, 2008
    Illinois
    We like what we like.....I think your pole spacing thing is hog wash and the plate you are showing is not pleaseing to my eye.....but thats me.....Everyone like different things.

I love this Creston......Give it Hell until you give it away Brian!!;)

12. robt57

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    It is not my pole spacing, just what is designed into the parts. If you install it and have lower output on the end strings, this might be the first place to look.

I will say I have tried a non F spaced HB in the bridge of a 2-3/16" spaced Strat and took it out due to not liking the imbalance of the string output when playing clean though the amp.

Not to mine either, I'd rather have the P-90 sticking out wider than to look at that wide bridge, so I am on that side of the 'Everyone like different things' equation. If it makes any difference.

I will also say I think the black P-90 cover with a black guard would probably make the wider PUP less noticeable. Just my guess.

Robt

13. creston

creston TDPRI Member

Jul 24, 2006
    Vermont
    Because of the construction of P-90s, pole spacing matters less than it does with, say, a Fender pickup. But, all the same, it looks wrong and, thus, makes people nervous. Here's a picture of my solution, which, I'm sorry to say [read: proud to say] you can't buy off the rack:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. eddiewagner

eddiewagner Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 6, 2005
    ROCK!linghausen/germany
    you can take the duesenberg domino p-90. that pup has a regular humbucker size and will fit into any aftermarket bucker-tele-tailpiece.

15. skunqesh

skunqesh Tele-Meister

May 17, 2008
    West Coast
    Klein Pickups

I recently purchased a tele bridge pup from Chris Klein (ebay) which he designs to replicate the P90 sound. fwiw I have a couple gits with vintage P90s so I have a solid comparison. It fits a standard ashtray/tele bridge plate. http://www.kleinpickups.com/c-3-pickups-for-telecasters.aspxI think he does a great job (disclaimer - I have no affiliation with Klein). My recommendation if you use something like this is stick with 500K pots - like Gibson originally did. 1Meg pots can get kinda muddy.

I've copied and pasted his description below:

"Klein Pickups Telecaster Bridge P-90/Humbucker high output pickup: The pickup is wound to 11.0k output and has clean highs, midrange, and bass. Some high output single coils lose clarity after about 9k. The winding pattern on this pickup retains clarity while allowing an extremely high output. The pickup has white cotton wrapped around the coil and is relic aged. Again, the pickup is brand new and unused"
    Alnico 5 magnets, formvar magnet wire
    output 11.0k
    Pickup Handwound on 06/08/2008

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 14, 2008

16. numeric

numeric Tele-Holic

Jan 8, 2008
    Ames, IA
    Just do one a these, and drop in a HB-sized P-90.
    [​IMG]

I think that maybe a slight reshaping of the P-90 would be necessary to make it fit within the confines of a standard high-sided tele bridge plate. Anyone up for the challenge?

17. mistermullens

mistermullens Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 3, 2007
    Atlanta Area
    [​IMG]

18. GilmourD

GilmourD Tele-Afflicted

Jul 28, 2003
    Rutherford, NJ
    I believe Bryan at BG-Pups.com makes a Tele sized P-90.

19. Southern Ill

Southern Ill Banned

Jan 28, 2008
    Illinois
    I'm with Creston on the pole spacing.....w/the a standard P90 using a cut down bridge would be fine......but I guess I can understand that looking at it the E strings don't line up.....probally would bother some guitar lookers.:eek:

Now look at those lovely Crestons.......Freakin' sweet!!! Couldn't say it any better.

20. robt57

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR

I could care less about the looks, if it makes a difference with balance of output, then I'd have a problem. Like when I had that non F spaced HB in a Strat w/Trem. No option really to narrow the string spacing that I'd be interested in Plus with my big mits I would never personally narrow the strings at the bridge,

I have actually cut dimes in half and put the 1/2s between the saddles to widen the spread, more than once. I have also put dime and nickels under saddles... Looks?? Only concerned with that with what I sell. ;)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.