Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Tele or Strat kit for child

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by thegaijin, May 19, 2017.

1. thegaijin

thegaijin Tele-Meister

Oct 2, 2012
    Tokyo
    Do any of you fine folks know anywhere that sells a small sized neck and body? Would like to build a partscaster for my young son.

2. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 6, 2012
    Sydney
    Stewmac would be the first place. But others will pipe in. Nonetheless I've had excellent service from stewmac.

thegaijin likes this.

3. thegaijin

thegaijin Tele-Meister

Oct 2, 2012
    Tokyo
    I will check stew mac out. Thank you.

dlew919 likes this.

4. trev333

trev333 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I found a 3/4 sized kit guitar on ebay..... all the parts were there and everything fitted ok and the pickups sound fine......;)

a few coats of shellac tinted with walnut prooftint and a clear poly top coat...

kit guitar1.jpg 3qter guitar with Tele.jpg

3qter body.jpg

thegaijin and xafinity like this.

5. mrpants

mrpants TDPRI Member

May 16, 2017
    Chicago
    Pretty sure Warmoth sells 3/4 size something or other. Dunno if that's small enough. I'd personally kind of like a 1/2 size for my kid, but my little bit of looking has turned up no results.

thegaijin likes this.

6. trev333

What about a Tele Uke?.... only 4 strings to manage.... tune it open for one finger bar chords....

much easier for smaller kids...:)

Tele Uke2.JPG

thegaijin likes this.

7. mudimba

mudimba Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

May 19, 2015
    California
    USA Custom Guitars makes a "downsized tele". I'm not sure how old your son is, but it is 15% smaller than a normal tele.

If he is really young, you can get an electric ukulele that is tele shaped on Amazon. The hardware, electronics, and setup are complete garbage, but the body and neck are salvageable and it only costs $100 or something. If you treat it like a kit and rebuild everything you can end up with a very playable and fun instrument. I did that for my 5 year old, and I play it after he goes to bed all the time.

thegaijin likes this.

8. mudimba

May 19, 2015
    California
    Haha, trev333 beat me to the punch while I was typing my comment. The one pictured is the exact instrument I was talking about.

trev333 likes this.

9. wyclif

wyclif Tele-Afflicted

Nov 29, 2011
    Philadelphia
    So, what do you have to do to make one of these playable after it comes out of the box?

10. trev333

My GF plays/collects Ukes... I saw that tele uke online and bought it for her...

I just did a basic set up, adjusted the nut slots and pickup balance/intonation... and handed it over to her...

she smiled...:)

11. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI
    Wow, that looks familiar!

HM_modified.jpg

This started out as a Hannah Montana Disney guitar, badly damaged that I got for $10 then stripped, contoured, and cut the headstock. It has real Tele pickups - not a toy! I use it for a travel guitar. I see them on CL and EBay for $50-$80 but haven't seen one in a year or two, not looking though. Washburn sold another similar type of guitar not attached to any other brand than themselves for a few years so you might search them out. These are sized the same as if you put a capo on the third fret of a regular Strat/Tele. I think it might be the same as the Squier Mini guitars too, which are more plentiful.

Last edited: May 19, 2017
    thegaijin likes this.

12. trev333

thegaijin likes this.

13. Spacemanspiff500

Spacemanspiff500 TDPRI Member

Aug 12, 2016
    Highland, ca
    Stew Mac used to do a small travel guitar shaped like a strat, but that was like 10 years ago. I don't think they do those anymore, but I could be wrong. You might try luthiers mercantile. They have always been good for weird or custom guitar parts.

thegaijin likes this.

14. scantron81

scantron81 Tele-Afflicted

Apr 29, 2009
    Georgia
    LOOG kits are also cool. Only 3 strings, so great for small hands.

15. mudimba

May 19, 2015
    California
    It was "playable" for strumming cowboy chords and making noise out of the box, but not by the standards of people around here. Keep in mind it is a $100 instrument. I've never owned a $100 guitar, but I imagine it would have similar issues.

- The frets were not even close to level. To make matters worse, there was a small amount of backbow and a single action truss rod. Getting them level required taking quite a bit off already small frets. If it were for a true musician and not a five year old I would have re-fretted. For his little fingers though, I think the low frets make it a little easier.

- One of the pickups didn't work. I took it apart and found a couple cheap magnets super glued to the pole pieces (it didn't work because the glue had popped off). I re-glued the magnet, once again because it was for a 5 year old. If it were my own instrument I would have remade the pickups. The pickups also had height adjustment springs that were too short, so all the way up they were too far from the strings. I put in some foam to fix that.

- The pots were sticky and crackly, so I put new ones in.

- The wiring was a total mess. We're talking lumps of solder with the plastic insulation melted into it. I replaced all of it.

- The neck had a glue starved scarf joint (oddly it was around the 5th fret and not the nut) that popped open. Granted it happened when my wife tripped over the instrument, but nothing should make the joint open up before the wood cracks. I had to reglue it, and while I was in there I smoothed out a little bump in the neck.

- The holes in the body that the neck screws pass through were too small, so the neck wasn't seating properly. I had to drill those out and scrape some lacquer from the neck pocket.

- I made a new nut. I probably could have worked with what was there and just lowered the slots (action out of the box was ridiculously high), but I figured it was just as easy to put in a nice new one.

- The tuners are cheap, and with a big gear ratio. On a Uke the gear ratio makes it really hard to tune, since the slightest touch makes the note jump a quarter step. If this was an instrument to be played really regularly I'd get new tuners.

- Standard setup stuff (string height, pickup height, intonation, etc)

It might sound like a lot, but not including fixing the broken neck it just took an evening and $20 worth of electronics to make it very playable for a kid learning their first instrument. Another evening or two of work and whatever it costs for new tuners, and I think it could be something I'd play as much as any of my regular guitars.

thegaijin likes this.

16. metecem

metecem Friend of Leo's

Let's all get to the point and build the real thing for our kids!

[​IMG]

:D:D:D:D:D:D

:twisted:

scantron81, thegaijin and mudimba like this.

17. mudimba

May 19, 2015
    California
    Have you been whispering in my kids' ears lately? They just recently mounted a campaign for custom ukes. I finally gave in and last weekend we took a trip to the lumberyard so they could pick out their wood.

metecem, thegaijin and callasabra like this.

18. thegaijin

thegaijin Tele-Meister

Oct 2, 2012
    Tokyo
    That's frickin awesome man.

mudimba likes this.

19. thegaijin

thegaijin Tele-Meister

Oct 2, 2012
    Tokyo
    Found a load of pre-built 1/2 size electrics on amazon, but also spotted 1/4 size nylon string acoustics. This might be the best way to go for now.

He's only 2 1/2, so no way he's going to be able to play it for a few years anyway, but hopefully it'll stop him grabbing mine when i try to practice.

scantron81 and dlew919 like this.

20. scantron81

scantron81 Tele-Afflicted

Apr 29, 2009
    Georgia
    I got my first kid a uke when he turned 2. He pounded around with it and it survived, so now my second kid is 2 and pound some around with it. Both are partial to drum set over stringed instruments.

mudimba and thegaijin like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.