Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Tele or a Tele

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Willy Took, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Willy Took

Willy Took TDPRI Member

Apr 21, 2017
    Sweden
    Hi guys,

new on this forum but been reading it on and off a couple of years. Really like the discussions. Things is, I got an affinity Tele that sound really nice, but as I had to glue the saddles together last summer (crazy but they wouldn´t stand still) the tuning is a bit wobbly. I know that was not a good thing, but anyway....

So today I am going to town to buy a new Telecaster. But I am not sure of which one to buy. The runner up is Fender standard Telecaster (MiM), and a Squire Classic vibe Custom (China).

They both sound terrific. Looks awesome - MiM candy red, classic vibe sunburst.

Please help, which one to get.

Greetings
    WT

2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Welcome!
    I'd go with the MIM Standard.
    Good luck!

fatcat and Fiesta Red like this.

3. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Tele-Holic

Feb 26, 2017
    Manchester UK
    Local guitar shop owner has a response to my similar dilemma: buy both

soulman969 and LutherBurger like this.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Sparky2

Sparky2 Tele-Meister

Apr 15, 2017
    Harvest, Alabama
    Willy,

If you have the money, always go for the genuine Fender, and not the Squier.

Years later, your Fender will have held its resale value, and the Squier will be worth $150.

That's my opinion, anyway.
    :)

Omiewise65 likes this.

6. Norris Vulcan

Norris Vulcan Tele-Meister

Aug 7, 2015
    Somerset, Europe
    Another vote for MiM Standard. Mine's great !

All other things being equal, of course. Does one play or sound better than the other? Which one speaks to you ?

7. Willy Took

Willy Took TDPRI Member

Apr 21, 2017
    Sweden
    OK, thanks, I´m off now. Report later what happened.
    WT

jackinjax likes this.

8. jackinjax

jackinjax Tele-Afflicted

Sep 11, 2016
    Jacksonville
    Welcome Willy! Be sure to post pictures of whichever one you pull the trigger on.

9. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Apr 20, 2013
    Northeast Ohio, USA
    Buy what you like, but I would probably go MIM.

boris bubbanov likes this.

10. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    You do want them both too. You know you do. Give in to the muse. It's only decent thing to do. :lol:

11. soulman969

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    Let your ears and your fingers decide. Either way you'll end up with a fine guitar. :)

12. Vespa_One

Vespa_One Tele-Meister

Feb 14, 2017
    United States
    Based on color: sunburst
    Based on resale value: Fender
    Based on sound and playability: play some

I would look for used first but thats me.

tery likes this.

13. pondcaster

pondcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 29, 2010
    Tryon, NC
    Play them both as much as you can through same amp/pedals/etc. Then pick the one that picks you.

As for resale, it's probably smart to think of that but honestly, I never do when buying. Have I lost a few bucks when reselling? Of course but not too much considering the time held. I've chosen CV over MIM Std twice because they were just better guitars. Period. Were the switches better on the MIM? The switch was thicker and felt better but the ones on the CVs haven't failed yet, 7 years of rocking. And most important for me, the neck was much nicer and the pups simply blew the Stds away. No contest.

As others have and will suggest, fingers and ears get with wallet and decide. Have fun!

Piggy Stu likes this.

14. Lobomov

Lobomov Tele-Afflicted

Jul 15, 2013
    Europa
    The resale argument is rubbish .. both guitars will lose around half of what you paid for them.

I'd recommend a used us std, special or hwy1.

Given your choices I'd go with the squier :)

15. cleanheadsteve

cleanheadsteve TDPRI Member

Mar 4, 2010
    Arkansas
    Depends on the year of the mim. The oldest ones were basically squires with crap tuners and such. Then they got better. And now they are pretty darn good. But I always buy used and get more for my money

16. guitaradelic

guitaradelic Tele-Meister

Feb 20, 2008
    Anderson, IN
    Love my MIM Tele, it's a keeper, made in '99 IIRC.

17. Willy Took

Willy Took TDPRI Member

Apr 21, 2017
    Sweden
    View attachment 420931 View attachment 420931 Back again with a new Telecaster. I´m very happy to announce that I bought a Candy Red Telecaster made in Mexico. As someone above wrote "pick the one that picks you". And that is exactly what happened. When I walked into the Fender showroom at the guitar shop it immediately caught my attention. Love at first sight...of course I tried both the MIM and the Squire, but the MIM were much more solid and the sound was more to my liking. And the guy who worked in the shop gave me a better price before I even asked him. Here in Sweden the price is about 5700 SEK, approximately 630 dollars. That´s a bit expensive but not to bad.

Thank you for all your help.

WT View attachment 420931

soulman969 and tery like this.

18. Willy Took

Willy Took TDPRI Member

Apr 21, 2017
    Sweden

19. tery

tery Friend of Leo's

Sep 21, 2012
    Tennessee
    Congratulations ... I think that you made the best choice :)

Willy Took likes this.

20. soulman969

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    I'd agree but maybe not by as much as 50% or at least not in all cases. I hear this resale thing a lot when various import brands come up in a comparison to their counterparts but a quick look at the actual economics tends to favor the less expensive guitar in most cases.

A new Squire CV has a street price of $400 USD and a MIM Std has a street price of $600 USD. Even if we accept Lobomov's estimate of a 50% loss in value upon resale the MIM will have dropped $300 in value while the Squier CV will have lost only $200. If we contrast the Squier to an $1100 American Std it gets worse. In fact the American Std would have to retain 82% of it's value to lose less upon resale than the Squier CV and that doesn't happen often.

This is pretty much universal no matter what brands we're talking about so if anything the higher price guitar loses more dollar value than it's less expensive counterpart and shouldn't influence a buying decision in the way it's often presented as a reason for buying the upscale model.

Frankly if you think you might sell it I'd buy used so the depreciation happens on someone else time instead of mine.

Route67 likes this.

21. soulman969

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO

That's the way to do it correctly Willy. Welcome to the Tele Club.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.